This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, good work so far!
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thought I replied. Ok to all that. Updates took 5 minutes, Nice work buddy. Sleep will be sweet. PC will just have to stay awake tonight.
      Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
      HP15 -
      -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

If you're still out there, I did the grub thing and rebooted. That crazy scroll page did it's thing and then kubuntu launched. CD was removed. Guess it worked. Whenever you feel like it, you can tell me how to access Windows, hopefully a temporary but necessary evil task.
        HP15 -
        -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

Well, we're glad you finally got your new install of Kubuntu bootingl! Cheers to Qqmike

So, you are saying there is no option to boot into Windows now? Do you get a rEFind menu when you boot or a Grub menu? or does it just boot straight into Kubuntu?
          Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
          Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Awesome news! Welcome to the free world.
            If you're sitting wondering,
            Which Batman is the best,
            There's only one true answer my friend,
            It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

I did the grub thing and rebooted. That crazy scroll page did it's thing and then kubuntu launched. CD was removed. Guess it worked. Whenever you feel like it, you can tell me how to access Windows, hopefully a temporary but necessary evil task.
              Well, you should already be seeing Windows on a GRUB boot menu. I think you are OK, you just need to re-boot a time or two. First, though -->

Make sure right now that the rEFInd CD is removed.

And, in Kubuntu, open Konsole again, and do this one (again):

sudo update-grub

(that should check for ALL operating systems and then generate a new GRUB boot menu showing them all)

That's all.

Now re-boot (without the rEFInd CD!) and let the computer do its thing (i.e., don't hit the key to enter the "BIOS" (firmware) setup, just let it boot to the GRUB menu showing Windows and K(U)buntu).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              In case you get into configuring GRUB or wish to look at it:

Again, my schedule is choppy today, so let me drop this friendly link that explains how you configure GRUB. The part about "The /etc/default/grub file..."

http://www.howtogeek.com/196655/how-...Speed=noscript

The guys here can also help with this stuff, as needed (I don't think you'll need this, though, not at this time, but do check one thing, see below: the timeout).

This is written for Ubuntu (which is what Kubuntu is based on), so you will need different commands here and there, but any of us here can help with that.

One line to make sure about is GRUB_TIMEOUT= Make sure it is NOT zero; use anything like 5 or 10 (this is in seconds).

One tip to make a note of for future use:

To make changes to important system files in Kubuntu, you need to work with "root privileges," same as in Windows. There are MANY ways of handling this. For now, keep in mind that you can open your file manager Dolphin and work as root by typing this command in Konsole:

kdesudo dolphin

Dolphin will open (after some scary DOS-like output which we all ignore), and you can go to work VERY CAREFULLY, of course, as you probably know, as you'll be making changes "as root."

You can navigate to the file /etc/default/grub by opening Dolphin (in the K > menu, for now you don't need to open it as root), click the red root in Places (on the left side bar), and go from there, clicking folders to open them -- one-click should open them, or you can configure it so one click does the trick, I think one-click is default in Kubuntu. Make sure that line is not zero:
              GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
              (10 seconds seems to be the default setting on my systems--plenty of time to see the GRUB boot menu showing Windows and K(U)buntu.)
              Last edited by Qqmike; Sep 10, 2015, 06:33 AM.
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

btw, logan01, welcome to Kubuntu! Seems like we got down to business real fast here before I could say so. But now after 118 posts, you are no longer a newcomer!

Comment

Thanks Qqmike. Did the grub update in Konsole. I did notice yesterday/today after first konsole entry, it then requires password to continue. No big deal and probably a good thing. Let's see what happens on a fresh boot.
                  HP15 -

Comment

Two things. I definitely replied a few minutes ago and when I relaunched now, it wasn't there. So once again, thanks for the warm welcome and most certainly for your hard work. I did the grub update (CD is out of arm's length),rebooted and; this time it did a quick blue screen that appeared to give options in the top left, I believe kubuntu only, went quickly through the dos looking scroll deal, went to kubuntu, required wifi password, and appears normal. Let this run a few minutes, see if this reply sticks, and I'll boot again. Off-line stuff: Went to bed about 1am (not bad) and slept til 8:15 local. Seems like the whole day is shot. On-line: So much to learn but oh how sweet it is. Sure am glad I found a disk. Actually found 2. Tried the first disk on a freebie burner for the iso. It kept failing to burn and finally generated an error message about a hardware problem. "That's just what I need". he said. Entered the message to google and found same/same with same software. Another person recommended another freebie to the poster. I downloaded, burned and it immediately said the disk already had data on it. Used the remaining disk and here we are.
                    HP15 -

Comment

Well, I see the original reply made it while I was kacking the lengthy one. Time for a reboot. Are we having fun boys and girls?
                      HP15 -

Comment

Having to enter your password is normal. It's the same PW you made up when you installed Kubuntu.

Regarding Post #234, you should get a GRUB boot menu showing both K(U)buntu and Windows.
                        If GRUB detects another OS, it includes it on its boot menu and shows it to you.
                        If GRUB does not detect another OS, it may not show you any boot menu, but simply boot into the default OS (which is Kubuntu for you).

went quickly through the dos looking scroll deal,
                        IMO, it shouldn't be doing that. No harm done, but it should be hiding that DOS-like scroll screen. I think that is set as a kernel parameter and is changeable that way.
                        But that is not a show-stopper at this point, yet.

Comment

Same deal less the wifi login. Firefox didn't show my 3 current posts til I refreshed. I'm gonna have to snap a really quick pic of that first screen w/ my phone to see what it says. Reboot time.
                          HP15 -

Comment

Did you check that TIMEOUT setting to be sure it is NOT set to zero; that is, it should be anything positive, maybe 5 or 10 seconds? Let's be sure about that first. And to be clear: you are not seeing any place to choose Windows?

(I'm gonna be in and out on this end, all morning.)

Comment

Ok. Blue screen upper left corner:

*GNU/Linex
                              Advanced options for Linux
                              Windows Boot Manager (dev/ (after the slash I think it had sv2 or something similar)
                              System Setup

Then it goes to the scroll screen. I can shoot all info on blue screen if needed. It's pretty quick.
                              HP15 -

Comment

Let me go back and figure out the time out deal.
                                HP15 -

Comment

Working...
                                X