Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no scrolling. 10 second rule applies. what did that line do that i entered with my screen resolution? Now firefox is full screen and i can't grap anywhere to change its size and it doesn't have that double square thing in upper right to change browser size. Did the resolution line do that?

Edit: the restore button upper right took care of that. what's up with once the desktop appears it takes much longer to work in it. Before, when the desktop appeared, it was immediate rock n' roll time.
    Last edited by logan01; Sep 10, 2015, 06:09 PM.
    Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
    HP15 -
    -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
      Ahhhh ... in Firefox, I have NoScript blocking this site! I forgot to Allow kubuntuforums! My fault ... (That's why I can't WYSIWYG format the last couple times.)
      are you talking to yourself?
      HP15 -
      -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

I frankly don't know. I'm in the dark about resolution effects and such. About the only thing I know is booting (actually, still learning) ... I usually install and take everything at defaults ... and hope for the best.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

OK, but back to point: Good that the DOS-scrolling quit; good about the 10 seconds to choose. Proves the new /etc/default/grub file is recognized.

sudo update-grub

probably will not report that warning/error again ... if you think to check that, let us know sometime
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

If I so desired (I must learn the konsole ways), I could go back in and remove that line and see what happens. I can always load it back in at the same spot. I need to go through the posts and see when to use sado, nano, all that and or /default/grub. all that kind of stuff. Going through the posts to see how I need to do something is what takes all my time. while you're here. say I have a window, app, whatever open. It shows nicely in the task bar. When minimized, it's very translucent and difficult to see. Can that be changed?
            HP15 -

Comment

probably will not report that warning/error again ... if you think to check that, let us know sometime- This part lost me,
              HP15 -

Comment

say I have a window, app, whatever open. It shows nicely in the task bar. When minimized, it's very translucent and difficult to see. Can that be changed?
                Hmm, you're right, I just checked it here. I have no clue, pal. These other guys follow all this kind of stuff on display, themes, etc. There are places to change themes and appearance, I just never use them. Might start posting new threads on some of these topics as everyone thinks this is a booting thread and ignores it

K > Applications > Settings > System Settings

Comment

probably will not report that warning/error again ... if you think to check that, let us know sometime- This part lost me,
                  If you run
                  sudo update-grub
                  does it still report that error/warning you posted previously about "/etc/default/grub: 0 not found"?

Comment

let me check.
                    HP15 -

Comment

Nope. just gave me this. Normal?

Generating grub configuration file ...
                      Warning: Setting GRUB_TIMEOUT to a non-zero value when GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT is set is no longer supported.
                      Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.19.0-28-generic
                      Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.19.0-28-generic
                      Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.19.0-25-generic
                      Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.19.0-25-generic
                      Found Windows Boot Manager on /dev/sda2@/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
                      Adding boot menu entry for EFI firmware configuration
                      done
                      HP15 -

Comment

A new thread? Maybe strangers? I have got to get this thread to 40 pages. I DON'T do odd numbers. Forum admin types, have mercy on this thread. Give me 40. I'm already a senior member! Time flies.
                        HP15 -

Comment

Great! That's normal now.

I'm still trying to find time to look into this mysterious note:
                          Code:
                          Warning: Setting GRUB_TIMEOUT to a non-zero value when GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT is set is no longer supported.
                          It is not affecting my setup. Not sure what it's about. Just have to look into it sometime, not urgent.

Well, good. At least the booting works. And you have a good rescue CD in your rEFInd CD, as needed. There's more to all this booting, but you got things to where you can play with Kubuntu's other settings and customization.

I think your original problem came from the installer not being able to load GRUB fully. Why? My suspicion: maybe the way Windows set things up on your disk to begin with? something the GRUB installer saw and didn't like? You never really know for sure.

You are making progress here!

Comment

Do 40? You want a free lecture on UEFI booting ......

Comment

Thanks buddy. Unless they lock this thread, do check in. I know I'm gonna screw up in the "konsole". I ran across your thread about https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...sole-Beginners

Great stuff which I must study when I catch my breath. Thanks again and to everyone else thank you too for the kind and generous help. Maybe someday I can help a newbie. Be glad to. Play it forward. Thank you.
                              HP15 -

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                                Do 40? You want a free lecture on UEFI booting ......
                                Now that's funny. I believe, with the connections I have, I can get you a free copy of Windows and I'll install it for you.
                                HP15 -

Comment

Working...
                                X