X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok. Thanks.
    Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
    HP15 -
    -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

The flash drive file name doesn't have an extension (,img). Should I add that to the file name for dd purposes or is it not required?
      HP15 -
      -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

Maybe I'm just tired, but I can't find decent documentation on the dd commands for Windows. This is the bad best:
        http://www.chrysocome.net/dd
        UNetbootin for Windows: what if you omit the img extension (i.e., use no extension) when trying to write that img file to a flash drive using UNetbootin? Try to fool UNetbootin into using the img as an iso (this is probably nonsense, but who knows). Frustrating, huh? Boy, a CD would be easy (I think -- assuming Windows has a CD image burner).
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I open a cmd window and was following these instructions. http://www.ehow.com/how_7487139_use-windows-make-bootable-usb.html

But when you get to step 8 ("dd --list" without quotation marks and press "Enter.") and hit return, you get an error msg that more or less says dd isn't an internal or external command or something like that. Been searching for other dd instructions but no luck yet.

HP15 -

Comment

I'm only guessing that when you set this up in Windows, you must place the exe dd file and everything that goes with it inside a directory you create; then at the command line change to that directory; then issue the command, using absolute path names for the source and for the target (i.e., path names that being with c:\). Wild, wild supposing going on here.
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I have now allegedly burned the rEFInd iso to disk. I can't even remember what we, oops, I am to do with it. Boot. Never booted from disk. Do I stick the disk in, power down, power back up while tapping hot key and, blah, blah, blah. If it boots to the disk, then what; I forgot.
              HP15 -

Comment

CD? Doesn't matter. Stick it in.
                Reboot your PC.
                As it POSTs, press your magic key (is that F10 for you?) to enter the firmware ("BIOS") setup menus.
                Find your medium (UEFI CD/USB) in the list of bootable devices.
                Highlight it, press Enter.
                And it should take over and boot your PC up, showing you the rEFInd screen, with a bunch of icons on it (maybe some duplicates), but if you highlight an icon, it's name/path appears in print on that screen (look for it, about the center of the screen), press Enter on an icon, and you will boot into whatever that icon represents.

Watch for the Ubuntu icon-logo.
                Watch for a kernel, like vmlinux-x.x.x-y-generic/signed/anything/please_help.

You should then get booted into your Kubuntu.

No? Make a mistake? No problem. re-boot again into that rEFInd cd/whatever, and try again, maybe picking another boot-icon to try.

Comment

Reminder (from a post above):

After you boot into your K(U)buntu, open Konsole (K > Applications > System > terminal (Konsole)), then:

type
                  sudo grub-install
                  press Enter
                  then type
                  sudo update-grub
                  and press Enter

Re-boot to test it. The update-grub builds a new and (hopefully) complete boot menu showing ALL your operating systems installed that GRUB can boot, including Windows.
                  The K in K > Applications > System > terminal (Konsole) is the K at the lower left of the Kubuntu screen (when you are fully booted into Kubuntu and looking at the Desktop).

Comment

(Ignore this! Don't know why I/we didn't think of building that rEFInd flash drive in a LIVE Kubuntu session (with dd)! Need to think about that, check for the catch ...)

Comment

Ok, tried the CD

Background:
                      Each time you make it to the choices of boot, you have
                      OS UEFI Windows or something like that
                      The removable - CD, USB, etc
                      EFI
                      those 3 each time if all is well.
                      I selected cd and it launched the EFI
                      Several large apps. I hovered over each and knew they were not what I was looking for.
                      Hovered over the last one; drum roll please, and it said that vmlinuz name.I recognized it, clicked, and it went crazy, scroll a zillion somethings. I saw 2 "failed".
                      Kubuntu launches and that's where we are at boys and girls. Why didn't you tell me that's all I had to do. Simple stuff.

Now what happens. Remove the CD and what will happen when I power down later and power back up in the morning? I'm ecstatic! Thanks just isn't enough to ya'll for standing by me. I know it was a royal pain but perseverance paid off. I have more questions for the near future, you know.
                      HP15 -

Comment

I just got notification for security update in kubuntu. Should I do it? If it's the kind where reboot happens, I want to wait.
                        HP15 -

Comment

What to do now?

OK, so you can eject that rEFInd CD at any time, hang on to that baby.

I would take all those updates now.
                          Should take awhile, but not forever, who knows, within an hour or so, maybe, maybe faster.
                          Hang in there, if you can, even if you have to leave the PC on all night as you sleep.
                          Then, after the updates are done, and before you do anything else, I would try to get your GRUB fixed, like asap, so you can boot into Kubuntu normally, without the rEFInd CD.

To fix GRUB, do the steps at the Terminal listed in my Post #218.
                          You might look at them now, make sure you get it, in case I'm away from the PC later on.

So far, so good -- nice work!

Comment

Hovered over the last one; drum roll please, and it said that vmlinuz name.I recognized it, clicked, and it went crazy, scroll a zillion somethings. I saw 2 "failed".
                            That's fine, no problems. The "failed" are normal--there may be many failed tasks as the OS boots, most are not "fatal." In the rEFInd configuration, there's a setting where you can turn that scrolling off. For now, just ignore it, though I agree it can be unnerving.

Comment

Here's the drill:

Wait for all the updates to finish, as we want the very best and latest in the GRUB files BEFORE you try to fix GRUB using my Post #218. If a re-boot is called for, hmmm, tough one, before you re-boot, do the stuff in Post #218 to fix GRUB, then re-boot without the rEFInd CD to see if GRUB got fixed. If that works, then when you are booted into Kubuntu, do again the stuff in Post #218--it won't hurt, and it might just somehow tighten things up a bit. I'm pretty sure Post #218 will fix this.

If this gets fixed, then next step ...

Install rEFInd onto your PC, while in Kubuntu. My how-to on that:

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post372221

That way, you will always have rEFInd at your disposal. No hurry to do this, though, you can wait awhile, or never. You DO have your rEFInd CD in case there's booting issue in the future.

Comment

Alrighty. I'm ready for some sleep. It'll stay on over night for sure. Thanks again buddy.
                                HP15 -

Comment

Working...
                                X