This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back to Post #241:

When you see that "blue screen" again, hit ANY key, like the Up Arrow key, quickly. Does that freeze the screen for you? then select Windows to boot?
    Maybe try that first.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

There's a grub config file in /boot/grub

Looks spooky.
      Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
      HP15 -
      -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

So try Post #256 now, if you can. Then I have another idea I can drop. Then I'll have to break away.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

There's a grub config file in /boot/grub

Looks spooky.
          Well, that's good! But it's not the one we need this time.

Comment

Did you catch Post #258?

Comment

Ok,
              HP15 -
              -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

Welcome to Windows my friend.
                HP15 -

Comment

OK, so quickly touching a key at that "blue screen" gave you a FULL boot menu of Windows and Kubuntu. Correct?

Comment

The screen stayed on longer, maybe it would just stay on forever now, I used the arrow key to navigate down to Windows Something Manager, click; there's Windows.
                    HP15 -

Comment

The screen stayed on longer, maybe it would just stay on forever now, I used the arrow key to navigate done to Windows Something Manager, click; there's Windows.
                      Well, if that's so, then this is OK -- certainly OK for now! If it is comfortable and if it works to get you into BOTH your OSs, then that's fine for now.

We can turn off the DOS-like scrolling screen. I'm embarrassed to say I'm forgetting this stuff (I never have to make repairs!), but I'm certain it is a trivial edit to the kernel parameters, calling for something like a "quiet splash" or whatever.

Comment

I'm going to type something up real quick ...

Comment

It's all good. When time permits, I'd like to stop the dos scroll screen. Wonder what the Advanced Options for Gnu/Linux is on the startup blue screen? I'm gonna kill that wallet service popup somehow!
                          HP15 -

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                            I'm going to type something up real quick ...
                            Quick?
                            HP15 -

Comment

Let's wipe this thread out and start all over. I know, I'll register as someone else needing help to install kubuntu.
                              HP15 -

Comment

You are missing the text file
                                /etc/default/grub

That indicates your main GRUB files may be messed up a bit. But it is basically working.

You COULD do one of 3 things if you want to fix this, keep reading ...

1 You could boot into Kubuntu, and un-install all the GRUB files there; then IMMEDIATELY re-install all those same GRUB files. You would do this using Muon Package Manager (but first you would use Muon Discovery to get Muon Package Manager installed). The guys here know how to help you through this. BUT this is kind of major, especially if your system is working OK.

2 You can use Boot repair to do that work for you (in #1 above): re-install GRUB.

3 Or you could simply try making your own grub text file. You can simply use mine.
                                Navigate to your Documents file (in your home, using Dolphin file manager (Dolphin is like your Windows Explorer/File Manager)).
                                Right click anywhere, and create a new text file.
                                Copy my stuff into your new text file and name your file grub--save it and name it grub.
                                Then open Dolphin as root:
                                kdesudo dolphin
                                Somehow copy that grub text file you just made into /etc/default and drop it there. Now you have a good /etc/default/grub text file. And now you can edit it (as root again) to change that timeout line we talked about above somewhere.

Here's my grub text file:

Code:
                                # If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
                                # /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
                                # For full documentation of the options in this file, see:
                                #   info -f grub -n 'Simple configuration'

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
                                GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
                                GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
                                GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
                                GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
                                GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
                                GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

# Uncomment to enable BadRAM filtering, modify to suit your needs
                                # This works with Linux (no patch required) and with any kernel that obtains
                                # the memory map information from GRUB (GNU Mach, kernel of FreeBSD ...)
                                #GRUB_BADRAM="0x01234567,0xfefefefe,0x89abcdef,0xefefefef"

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
                                #GRUB_TERMINAL=console

# The resolution used on graphical terminal
                                # note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
                                # you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
                                #GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480

# Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to Linux
                                #GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true

# Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries
                                #GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"

# Uncomment to get a beep at grub start
                                #GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1"

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

OK, so that's it for now, I better get some stuff going here and will check back in.

Comment

Working...
                                X