Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's wipe this thread out and start all over. I know, I'll register as someone else needing help to install Kubuntu
    Yeah, and your title is kind of irresistible, Help me enjoy [install] Kubuntu please...

You should write marketing/sales ad copy!
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

It's all good. When time permits, I'd like to stop the dos scroll screen.
      These other helpers know how to do that (so do I if I hold my tongue just right ... gotta run for now .. good luck playing around! )
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thanks. I'll see in a bit. Got to do some stuff too. Thanks buddy. Slow down.
        Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
        HP15 -
        -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

That text file I posted for your new grub might fix that scrolling DOS screen, btw, the "quite splash" line ...

Comment

Slow down.
            I needed that advice 66 years ago!

Comment

I'm back. 66 yrs? You must be living well. Now what are WE doin'?
              HP15 -
              -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

Not sure which part of the txt file to copy? Everything top to bottom? Probably not, eh?
                HP15 -

Comment

YOU are going to build a new /etc/default/grub text file, Post #270, item #3, copying mine into yours. I think it will fix the timeout and the quiet splash thingy. I'm pretty sure you can't damage anything. I'm pretty sure it work OK. Worst case: the darned grub text file you create and put in /etc/default blows things up: then we simply delete the d&mned thing (as root, or course). I'm getting the picture that during installation of Kubuntu, when you got that "GRUB didn't install" message, that the /etc/default/grub file got left out AND update-grub got cut off and didn't catch your Windows. It happens. NBD as you can always get GRUB installed somehow--by hook or by crook.

OTOH, I am going to keep going here and do some things I'd rather not be doing today. I cleaned my bathroom yesterday, at least that's done ....... I still have some work-work (for $) to do.

Comment

Not sure which part of the txt file to copy? Everything top to bottom?
                    The VERY top to the VERY bottom.

Comment

Just check it--eye ball it--make sure it looks "clean" with no weird formatting or marks or whatever at the beginning or the end. Sometimes, as you know, when you copy things, other stuff gets in there, too.

Comment

and when you create it, name it simply "grub" (without the quote marks)

Comment

Gotcha.
                          HP15 -

Comment

read my post on it -- when you are ready to copy it into /etc/default, you have to work "as root" by opening Dolphin as root, by

kdesudo dolphin

etc.

Comment

Oh, I forgot ... slow down ...

Comment

Created the txt file; named grub. /default won't simply allow "paste". gotta try something else. Looking.
                                HP15 -

Comment

Working...
                                X