Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so dd or a disk burner ought to do it (to flash drive or to cd)
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

downloaded that iso to usb. My computer would not open the .exe. At the same time it put 3 chunks of something on my dektop that I couldn't get rid of. Had to power down to remove the garbage. Matter of fact, the .exe did not make it (2 attempts) to my actual downloads folder; only to the downloads area of my browser. Thank goodness. I'll see if I can find another. That was in cnet
      Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
      HP15 -
      -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

That unebootin deal I used to download the kubuntu 14.04 did it in a heartbeat. We'll see how it handled the .img extension.
        HP15 -
        -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

I reckon I boot to it, then what?
          HP15 -

Comment

See what it offers you on its boot menu. You should see Windows. You should also see something looking like Kubuntu, Ubuntu, or most probably a kernel, like vmlinuz-3.13.0-63-generic[or signed]. Highlight it by using the up/down arrow keys, and press Enter and you should right into Kubuntu.
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Remember, to boot with this flash drive, you probably have to re-boot, enter UEFI firmware (BIOS) setup, see the UEFI flash drive and select it.

Comment

Additionally or instead of, you want me to try this in LIVE? https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
                HP15 -

Comment

After you boot into your K(U)buntu, open Konsole (K > Applications > System > terminal (Konsole)), then:

type
                  sudo grub-install
                  press Enter
                  then type
                  sudo update-grub
                  and press Enter

Re-boot to test it. The update-grub builds a new and (hopefully) complete boot menu showing ALL your operating systems installed that GRUB can boot, including Windows.

Comment

Additionally or instead of, you want me to try this in LIVE? https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
                    Trying Boot Repair is * always * a good option, and is mentioned above somewhere. It might fix your GRUB, but you got your rEFInd flash drive, it should get you in OK, then see my post above about re-installing GRUB at Konsole.

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                      After you boot into your K(U)buntu, open Konsole (K > Applications > System > terminal (Konsole)), then:

type
                      sudo grub-install
                      press Enter
                      then type
                      sudo update-grub
                      and press Enter

Re-boot to test it. The update-grub builds a new and (hopefully) complete boot menu showing ALL your operating systems installed that GRUB can boot, including Windows.
                      though you said I can't do this in the live version which is all I have? Hang loose. Let me see what happens with the rEFInd boot.
                      Last edited by logan01; Sep 09, 2015, 12:56 PM.
                      HP15 -

Comment

The rEFInd will get you booted INTO Kubuntu -- it will boot Kubuntu for you, it works in its own "live session," and after you get booted into Kubuntu, you will then not be in a live session, you will be in a real session.

Boot Repair, OTOH, will work in its own live session to try to re-install GRUB2-EFI to your Kubuntu OS filesystem--it will actually install GRUB files. Then when the live session ends, you eject the Boot Repair medium and hopefully boot into your newly-fixed Kubuntu.

(Let's NOT do this, but fyi, you can work in your own live session to re-install those GRUB files, as in my how-to:
                        https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post374017 -- Boot Repair does essentailly the same kind of work as my how-to shows YOU how to do in YOUR live session )

Comment

I tried twice from 2 different usb ports to boot to my usb. It doesn't even show up. I'm now gonna try the kubuntu usb to see if it even shows up to boot to.
                          HP15 -

Comment

I'm gonna do the .img to another known good usb and try to boot it. The pc recognized the kubuntu usb.
                            HP15 -

Comment

When you re-boot, you must enter (by pressing the magic key during POST, yours may be F10?) "BIOS" setup (i.e., firmware setup) to see if the firmware sees it as a UEFI-bootable medium.

Comment

I used another usb which had ubuntu live (not my kubuntu usb) on it to transfer the .img file via unibootin or whatever it's called. When I did that it should have wiped ubuntu files off. It recognized the flashdrive but asked if I wanted to install/try ubuntu. Crap. I hit escape. It now shows the following: gnu grub on like a title line
                                Mimimal bash-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completions.

Then it has grub>
                                If i hit return it creates another grub>
                                Can we work with this somehow? If not, I will delete the ubuntu stuff from the usb and "reload" the .img, try to boot to it, etc.

EDIT: The title like text is:

GNU GRUB version 2.02 beta2-9ubuntu1.3
                                between 2.02 and beta is a horizontal curly symbol; like a stretched backward S.
                                Last edited by logan01; Sep 09, 2015, 01:44 PM.
                                HP15 -

Comment

Working...
                                X