X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Then it has grub>
    If i hit return it creates another grub>
    Can we work with this somehow? If not, I will delete the ubuntu stuff from the usb and "reload" the .img, try to boot to it, etc.
    We sure don't want to! This could go from complicated to impossible. grub> prompts use to be fun in GRUB Legacy; not always so with the newer GRUB versions.

Much easier to just get ANY bootable rEFInd or Boot Repair going.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
      We sure don't want to! This could go from complicated to impossible. grub> prompts use to be fun in GRUB Legacy; not always so with the newer GRUB versions.

Much easier to just get ANY bootable rEFInd or Boot Repair going.
      Ok. I shall return from the possessed pc to this lovely windows 7 pc.
      Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
      HP15 -
      -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

I cleaned a known good usb and using UNebootin, I transferred the .img to the usb. It didn't show up in the startup / boot options menu. I'm guessing files, images, whatever they're called need to meet criteria suitable for booting and evidently this copy doesn't. I need a good rEFInd.
        HP15 -
        -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

You can try re-naming that .img file as an .iso file;
          so file.img becomes file.iso.
          Save a copy of the original img file beforehand (I'm not sure why, maybe chicken superstition).
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

i.e., first rename the file from img to iso, then try UNetbootin.

Comment

You shouldn't need to rename the .img file for this to work. You shouldn't just copy the file to the USB key instead use a low level file tool to write it. I don't know if unetbootin handles .img files, they will have a very different format to .iso. Bearing in mind that I haven't used Windows at home since 2002, this seems to be the goto piece of software for Windows even though the reviews suggest people either love or hate it.
              If you're sitting wondering,
              Which Batman is the best,
              There's only one true answer my friend,
              It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

The only rEFInd I can find and it's from SourceForge where I got the other. It too will be .img and not iso extension, if that is what kept it from booting.
                HP15 -

Comment

I'll try the ,iso rename, etc.
                  HP15 -

Comment

Easy done. Experiment took 0.06 seconds plus re-boot time. I simply wrote that rEInd img file to a flash drive and re-booted and it worked to boot me into my OS here. Took a one-line command:

Code:
                    sudo [B][COLOR=#ff0000]dd[/COLOR][/B] if=[B]refind-flashdrive-0.9.0.img[/B] of=/dev/sdb bs=16M

0+1 records in
                     0+1 records out
                     7012352 bytes (7.0 MB) copied, 0.0551239 s, 127 MB/s
                    (The flash drive is /dev/sdb.)

I posted some "dd for Windows" references above somewhere.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/windd/
                    http://www.chrysocome.net/dd
                    http://superuser.com/questions/83950...ivalent-for-dd
                    Last edited by Qqmike; Sep 09, 2015, 03:29 PM.

Comment

UNebootin automatically added .img after I had added iso. Downloaded, it had no extension.
                      HP15 -

Comment

see my last post above

Comment

I see it. Where do I do that? What do I do with my flash drive and what should be on it?
                          HP15 -

Comment

I download dd for windows. Launched the .exe after unzipping. Looks like a dos window. What the heck do I do with it?
                            HP15 -

Comment

The file
                              refind-flashdrive-0.9.0.img
                              is the file we've been talking about(downloaded for the rEFInd flash drive application).The dd command is for Linux. You'll have to find the dd-for-Windows equivalent(s) and learn how they are used.

The Windows command will probably be almost the same. I'm just not sure about the device notation for Windows (for Linux, the flash drive on MY system is /dev/sdb -- I don't know what the equivalent is on Windows). On YOUR system, you have to figure out how your flash drive is seen IN WINDOWS.You must not make any mistakes with the dd command! They are not reversible.Hopefully, the references show examples, or there are how-to's. The end result will be very simple, like it is for my Linux dd command: one simple command. I am not a Windows guy, remember? The other easy choice is to burn a CD image in Windows to a CD.

Comment

I guess we need a Windows guy to help here. It's been too many years since I used XP, and even then I didn't do a lot of stuff like we do in Linux (where it is so easy). But I do recall that burning an iso image to a CD was trivial, using Nero (which did all the work!). We need some exe Windows command-line help here. I would have to go study up on some of this, which I'd rather not do ...

Comment

Working...
                                X