This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK. Mañana.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I allegedly did my 3 partitions and marching on. It's almost finished copying files.
      Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
      HP15 -
      -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

Wake Up!. It's showing me a slideshow while completing the install. Wonder what I do when it's finished?
        HP15 -
        -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

I know the partition names were good. Hope I was using the correct "free space" doing the manual thing. I ended up doing 30 gb for / 60 gb for /home and 8 gb for swap.
          Last edited by logan01; Sep 08, 2015, 09:19 PM.
          HP15 -

Comment

Hi logan01, I'm on deck now ... this thread went from 9 posts to 76+ in the few hours I was sleeping ... wow!

You just need to reboot and you should see the Grub menu to choose what to boot into.
            Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
            Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

just got a message. 'the 'grub-efi-amd64-signed' package failed to install into /target/. Without the GRUB boot loader, the installed system will not boot. Crapola! It has an ok to click but I haven't done it.
              HP15 -

Comment

Dang! Just click the OK button (it just confirms that you've read the error message). Not sure what will happen then, it will probably boot into Windows.

Did you create an ESP (EFI Partition)? It's needed by newer systems like yours (UEFI) to store the boot information for various OS's. It doesn't need to be big (150Mb would be plenty).
                Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
                Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
                  Dang! Just click the OK button (it just confirms that you've read the error message). Not sure what will happen then, it will probably boot into Windows.

Did you create an ESP (EFI Partition)? It's needed by newer systems like yours (UEFI) to store the boot information for various OS's. It doesn't need to be big (150Mb would be plenty).
                  No I didn't. I don't know what it is or how to do it.
                  HP15 -

Comment

OK, no worries! I did the same thing when I installed Kubuntu the first time on this new system of mine. You will just have to do the install again.

You need to shrink one of the partitions enough to create a small (suggest 150Mb) ESP partition. It will be formatted by the installer I think.

Comment

If I learn how to create the ESP, is Kubuntu now installed and I'll be able to boot to it?
                      HP15 -

Comment

OK, no worries! I did the same thing when I installed Kubuntu the first time on this new system of mine. You will just have to do the install again.

You need to shrink one of the partitions enough to create a small (suggest 150Mb) ESP partition. It will be formatted by the installer I think.
                        If I redo, does my pc currently have the kubuntu installed and I must delete it all and start again? How? Starting again, while i'm doing the 3 partitions, I now do a fourth for the ESP?
                        HP15 -

Comment

No need to delete ... just use the same partitions that you used before. The installer should find the ESP partition to install Grub to. You should be fine then and the installer will complete without error.

Comment

To create the new partition you could probably try the Kubuntu Partition Manager after booting the LiveUSB Kubuntu. That should work OK although the older version doesn't work with GPT partitions (that is a snag there).

Comment

As I'm looking at the window which has my drives listed, since the flash drive is still installed, it shows the folders which are the kubuntu folders. One folder is named EFI. There are 2 files in it named BOOTx64.EFI and grubx64.efi. Can I do anything with that?

... just use the same partitions that you used before. The installer should find the ESP partition to install Grub to. You should be fine then and the installer will complete without error. I don't grasp it.
                              HP15 -

Comment

OK, I'm a little bit uncertain here.

When I installed Kubuntu on this system here it was the only OS (no WIndows). But your system should already have an EFI Partition created by Windows I think. So, you probably don't need to create another EFI partition in your case. The installer should put Grub (the Linux boot loader) into that partition. I'm not sure what went wrong with the Kubuntu install you did then.

Hang on, I will have to do some research.

Comment

Working...
                                X