your KDE (screenshots)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: your KDE (screenshots)

Hey, no more dark screenshots with an open dolphin? Just curious...

@dibl
    How do you mean "automate wallpaper selection"? The only issue with conky afaik is if you have changing wallpapers every so often - you read something in there which can cope with that? I'm all ears... Not that I have changing wallpapers, but one has got to think ahead just in case
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
      Hey hey indeed! That is an excellent tutorial! I think I see a way to automate the wallpaper selection so I can skip the manual edit every time I change it. Nice one, toad!
      Are you referring to this line:
      Code:
      {exec feh --bg-scale "`grep 'wallpaper=' ~/.kde4/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc | tail --lines=1 | sed 's/wallpaper=//'`"}
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yep, that's the one. Although, on closer inspection, it looks like I'd have to put my wallpaper in the plasma-desktop-appletsrc to make it work. Right? hmmm, that's not a familiar file for me -- I'm not sure what it's doing.

Comment

Well spotted, snowhog! I must confess I haven't read that wiki page for some time (and they do maintain them well over at arch).

As for that file:
          Code:
          toad@archtop 1003\6 /home/toad > wc ~/.kde4/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc
          228 193 4318 /home/toad//.kde4/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc
          Ah, 228 lines of mystery
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Yep, that's the one. Although, on closer inspection, it looks like I'd have to put my wallpaper in the plasma-desktop-appletsrc to make it work. Right? hmmm, that's not a familiar file for me -- I'm not sure what it's doing.
            Check that file. It's dynamicly updated. When you change your desktop wallpaper via Desktop Activity Settings, the wallpaper you choose is reflected in this file.

You'll need to just give it a test to see if it works. Note, you will need to change ~/.kde4/ of the line to ~/.kde/

Comment

The desktop image came from Digital Blasphemy. One of these days, I will get a subscription, but for now I've been making due with the free samples. So pretty. Dude makes wallpapers made specifically for multi-screens setups, and there's one with dinosaur plants and a mushroom cloud I've been drooling over since I saw it.

Comment

Digital Blaphemy. Yes, very nice wallpapers. I've grabbed a few from him myself.

Comment

Funky font, Death Kitten, funky font!

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog

You'll need to just give it a test to see if it works. Note, you will need to change ~/.kde4/ of the line to ~/.kde/
                    Yeah, I fixed the .kde name, and tested. Hmmmm, no soap -- it's coming up black background. I think the problem may be in this expression:

's/wallpaper=//'

What is that pointing to -- I wonder if my location of the conkymain file in ~/Conky/ is a problem?

Comment

~/Conky/ is odd afaik. Pertinent files are:

~/.conkyrc
                      /etc/conky/conky.conf

Comment

I think I see the problem. Conky is looking for an image file name. On my sidux KDE 4 desktop, the line in ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc that begins with "wallpaper=" does not point to a file, it points to a folder (wallpaper=/usr/share/wallpapers/sidux-momos). Moreover, with KDE 4, I see in the plasma-desktop-appletsrc file that a user-selected image that is off in some other directory (i.e. the partition where I keep my images) is a line above the "wallpapers=" line (userswallpapers=/home/dibl/IMAGES/Wallpapers/eastfrom3churches_1600x1200.png). So that grep/sed expression is not going to work as-is. But it's a good idea -- if I were more of a programmer I could probably patch it up to where it would work.

Comment

Yeah, knowing sed is like having the universe at your mercy. I wish there were an icon for that...

Comment

I think I see the problem. Conky is looking for an image file name. On my sidux KDE 4 desktop, the line in ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc that begins with "wallpaper=" does not point to a file, it points to a folder (wallpaper=/usr/share/wallpapers/sidux-momos). Moreover, with KDE 4, I see in the plasma-desktop-appletsrc file that a user-selected image that is off in some other directory (i.e. the partition where I keep my images) is a line above the "wallpapers=" line (userswallpapers=/home/dibl/IMAGES/Wallpapers/eastfrom3churches_1600x1200.png). So that grep/sed expression is not going to work as-is. But it's a good idea -- if I were more of a programmer I could probably patch it up to where it would work.

EDIT:
                            OK, got it. This works:
                            Code:
                            ${texeci 1000 feh --bg-scale "`grep 'userswallpapers=' ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc | tail --lines=1 | sed 's/userswallpapers=//'`"}
                            At least it does on sidux KDE4. I took a look at the plasma-desktop-appletsrc file on my Kubuntu system, and was somewhat amazed to find every wallpaper I have ever used for that desktop appended one after the other, with the current one last. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I doubt that is how it was intended to work. But my little conky hack should work on that, even as it is.

Comment

And if this thread is good for nothing else

Glad you got it sorted!

Comment

Heh -- yep, you gotta come to Kubuntu Forums to learn how to have a conky that will automatically change its background to match your personal KDE 4 wallpaper!

Thanks for thinking of it, toad!

Comment

Working...
                                X