This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
    woodsmoke: I went through a "barfly" mode (btw, I love the movie, Charles Bukowski) around 1989-1992 (which means, probably longer than that ;-) ), and you have a point, IME. Ever notice (are you a bar go-er?) how easy it is to catch all sorts of stuff in a bar -- cold and flu bugs are popular. Since you are out of it much of the time, you hardly notice, though. Of course, there is also another variable: immune systems.
    Hi
    not much of a "bar goer". I go to two rather "high end" restaurants that have bars also, mostly I sit at a table by myself, since I am MUCH older than dirt, sometimes stand at the bar but these are not "down and dirty" bars. I also go to a "family bar" once every few weeks. Literally, everybody in the place knows everybody else AND where they have been, who they talk to, etc. It really is a kind of "closed society", and I sit at the bar and usually have a MONSTER hamburger and gin and tonic. Curiously, even though "everybody knows me", they don't visit much because I am a "professor" and they think of themselves as VERY "lower blue collar" even though they also know that I've worked in sheet metal, lumber yards, etc. it is curious but I really do think that I "just don't think like them",... after all...I ALSO SCUBA DIVE...and THAT they really do not understand...not that they don't know what it is but that..."who would DO that..? ? lol...

The folks in the high end places are very mobile, they are kind of..."a moose herd" of male 30 somethings that are "butting chests" and hollering about this or that sports team that is in season. the women that are not attached are ...older and looking for the "young jock"... lol...

The family bar place is much more "stay in one spot", playing cards or checkers or throwing darts.

I've never been into the bar scene, even in the Navy but, being much older than dirt... I tried churches...even started one...it went bye bye because folks moved,DIED... or whatever... So... yeah, I interval walk, swim, read, work on school stuff, watch videos on either KDE NEON or on Kubuntu VLC...

woodoldsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

@woodoldsmoke: How old is old? Is 40, 50, 70 old? Didn't do much bar-hopping, per se, except to find out where the h* she was, but that's another episode. Got stuck in a cozy, friendly neighborhood bar, where everyone knows your name, all the friends and neighbors and cowboys and Indians. Teachers would drop by after they finished their day, made good friends. I got hooked on, no, not pool, but darts. Got pretty good at it, if I do say. We'd shoot darts and nurse one beer for an hour or longer. I learned to throw well by intentionally challenging the pro's, who only played for money. Not much, maybe $1-$2 per game. But they could clean up the game in a few minutes! I budgeted a set amount each night for 'losing darts' and then would step aside and let them clean out other people. I knew I'd lose every time, but that's how I learned to run with the big dogs. Got to where I could pop a bull--even a double bull, and even a rare triple--as casually as I popped open a beer can ... Those were some daze, uhh, uhmm, days. It made me feel younger and probably took 5 years off my life.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

My drinking stories:
        After graduation one of my high school buddies and I decided to go so a movie at a drive-in in Boulder, CO. Driving from Englewood we stopped at a liquor store and picked up a case of 6% country club malt liquor. I remember the opening scene of the movie showing the USS Constitution and the name of the star, Robert Stack, portraying John Paul Jones. The next thing I remember is waking up in the back seat of the 1938 Chevy because the Sun was shining in my eyes. My buddy, Don, was laying out in the yard, sleeping. Neither one of us remembered driving 25 miles back from Boulder to Englewood. Later I talked him into joining the Army on their Buddy Plan. He passed the physical and I failed it - hammer toes. He went off to Korea and I went back to work.

I worked a year at a luggage factory loading boxed luggage into boxcars. My co-worker and I would go out on weekends bar hopping. We always found a few others who'd do the same. Five or six of us would set around a table and each would buy a pitcher of beer for $1, in succession. So, for a buck I'd get 5 or 6 glasses of 3.2 beer.(Late summer, 1960, Denver CO).

One Saturday nite I got bored doing the drinking scene and told my buddy I would take a pass. The next Monday he didn't show up at work. My supervisor came by to tell me that he was in the hospital and probably wouldn't be back to work for several months. I went to visit him and here is what he told me:
        "I went to a Mexican bar in Aurora and started flirting with a pretty Chica. The Chicos didn't like it and pushed me out of the bar and pounded on me."
        He was in an almost full body cast. Both legs broken, one arm broken, ribs broken, jaw broken in several places, skull fracture, blood shot eyes. One leg was slightly elevated. His entire head was in a cast and he was breathing out of holes in the cast for his nostrils and his mouth. He was eating through a straw. Wires which tied his jaw bone together were protruding from the face cast. He told me "Jerry, I was drunk and they couldn't use anesthesia when they operated. I never had anything hurt so bad in my entire life". I don't know how they could have immobilized him while they tied his jaw bones together and protruded the wires through his cheeks.

A few days later I got an offer of a board scholarship to a college in central Nebraska, so I took it. I never had another alcoholic drink until I flew me and my business partner to Waterproof, LA, to meet a prospective vendor, Buddy Miller III, who was selling a compute called "David" from the Logical Corporation, and hook up with the maker of a card for IBM PC's which featured SAVVY, and AI + Database written in Forth. He took us to Cock Of The Walk on the Mississippi river, where I was introduced to a mint julep. I didn't realize it was booze until the room started spinning. They had a good laugh.

I like a good white wine. My flight instructor and I were invited to the Cessna plant at Wichita, Kansas. I assumed they thought I was in the market for an airplane. Cessna sponsored a wine tasting event. In the center of a large auditorium was a series of tables with various wines on display, along with half-oz cups to sample the wine, and plastic lined 50 gal waste baskets to spit into. Around the edge of the auditorium were a series of tables with crackers, cheese and water to "cleanse" the pallet between tastes wines. I never swallowed a single drop of wine, but within 30 minutes my vision started spinning. One doesn't have to swallow an alcoholic beverage - the Ethanol passes through the tongue and cheek straight into the veins and on to the brain.

It's probably been 10 years since my last glass of wine.
        Last edited by GreyGeek; Sep 05, 2020, 11:12 AM.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

What was that song lyric?
          Those were the days my friend I wish they'd never end...

"https://www.youtube.com/embed/aUsIYDcDo28

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
          @woodoldsmoke: How old is old? Is 40, 50, 70 old? Didn't do much bar-hopping, per se, except to find out where the h* she was, but that's another episode. Got stuck in a cozy, friendly neighborhood bar, where everyone knows your name, all the friends and neighbors and cowboys and Indians. Teachers would drop by after they finished their day, made good friends. I got hooked on, no, not pool, but darts. Got pretty good at it, if I do say. We'd shoot darts and nurse one beer for an hour or longer. I learned to throw well by intentionally challenging the pro's, who only played for money. Not much, maybe $1-$2 per game.

But they could clean up the game in a few minutes! I budgeted a set amount each night for 'losing darts' and then would step aside and let them clean out other people. I knew I'd lose every time, but that's how I learned to run with the big dogs. Got to where I could pop a bull--even a double bull, and even a rare triple--as casually as I popped open a beer can ... Those were some daze, uhh, uhmm, days. It made me feel younger and probably took 5 years off my life.
          sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

GG you really DO just have an amazing history!

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            My drinking stories:
            After graduation

It's probably been 10 years since my last glass of wine.
            woody
            sigpic
            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Well...
              things have suddenly taken a POSSIBLE turn for the worse for yours truely.

a) a student contacted me today that the person has been very sick the last few days and is self quarantining and will be tested for Covid tomorrow.
              b) that means that I could be required to self quarrantine if the person tests positive until I can be tested, and yes we do not need to get into all the conspiracy theories and shouting about Trump about the accuracy of the tests.

c) the point of this post is that ...welll...today has just been NUTS in terms of not a "flurry" but a DUNE like storm of e-mails going back and forth between various administrators, the "cares" team, you name it.

Basically "one" situation...like a bunch of rabbits running in and out of holes ...spread "like exponentially" (almost) through the bureaucracy ...AS THE SYSTEM BEGAN TO WORK...

but...again the point of the post is this...

I had MS outluk and Kontact running "in parallel" with each other and Kontact "stepped up to the plate

IF things continue in this vein for Kontact...it MAY be that Kontact really has 'reached maturity" especially now that Kontact can interact with MS CLOUD... which seems to be the "operational nexus"...not "the college's e-mail" as was previously the problem.

So...KUDOS again to the devs... they probably are getting tired of seeing me post that.

woodlikesKontactsmoke
              sigpic
              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
                Well...
                things have suddenly taken a POSSIBLE turn for the worse for yours truely.

a) a student contacted me today that the person has been very sick the last few days and is self quarantining and will be tested for Covid tomorrow.
                b) that means that I could be required to self quarrantine if the person tests positive until I can be tested, and yes we do not need to get into all the conspiracy theories and shouting about Trump about the accuracy of the tests.

c) the point of this post is that ...welll...today has just been NUTS in terms of not a "flurry" but a DUNE like storm of e-mails going back and forth between various administrators, the "cares" team, you name it.

Basically "one" situation...like a bunch of rabbits running in and out of holes ...spread "like exponentially" (almost) through the bureaucracy ...AS THE SYSTEM BEGAN TO WORK...

but...again the point of the post is this...

I had MS outluk and Kontact running "in parallel" with each other and Kontact "stepped up to the plate

IF things continue in this vein for Kontact...it MAY be that Kontact really has 'reached maturity" especially now that Kontact can interact with MS CLOUD... which seems to be the "operational nexus"...not "the college's e-mail" as was previously the problem.

So...KUDOS again to the devs... they probably are getting tired of seeing me post that.

woodlikesKontactsmoke
                Do you have walk in test centers? Just go get tested and you'll have your result by Monday. Case closed.

Comment

mr-raider

Yes we have them but I have been lazy and not gotten the test. My insurance would pay for it and the city has several free walkins at a certain "pharmacy store" which will remain nameless.
                  However, the whole thing raises a serious "debate".
                  IF SOCIETY IN GENERAL starts getting "the test" when they show no symptoms at all ...the ostensible reason being ' just to be on the safe side', then...just like that worthless testing of "prostitutes" every two weeks or so in VietNam ...
                  Yeah, the person did not have an STD when tested but two days later had the STD on a "wet surface" and a guy does the thing and STILL gets the STD..

Also, does me haveing had the test somehow make me "better" than instructor who did not have the test.

The whole thing is a monsterous "can of worms".

So, since the college has not mandated it or even discussed it, I have chosen to no get the test.

That may change however.

thanks for the comment!

woodsmoke
                  sigpic
                  Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Kontact does not "update" to show THE CONTENTS of a "snoozed" folder which is in the MS Outlook (tm) folder at the college.

I have just never snoozed any thing but had the perceived need this last week because of a big ZOOM meting for various faculty. The date was set about two weeks ago and I "snoozed" the e-mail which contained the ZOOM link for convenience.

Kontact does display the folder but not being able to display a snoozed e-mail IN the folder is no biggie for me, I'm just mentioning it.

Everything else is working great in Kontact.

If anyone has a question please ask.

woodsmoke
                    Last edited by woodsmoke; Oct 02, 2020, 07:22 PM.
                    sigpic
                    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
                    X