This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post

So if everybody would wear a decent mask (it doesn't have to be N95), everyone would have good protection, and the 6 foot separation would also be much more effective.

Just wear the thing.
    Why is this so difficult, and why the push back against something so simple and minor? All the lame bs excuses and bs reasons not to use a mask, but no alternatives given to help reduce the spread. Just selfish bs indignation, and mostly bs 'conspiracy' theories, and a bs lack of caring about the other guy.

Comment

The unfortunate truth is that many Americans are 'stupid'!
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

"conspiracy theories" "stupid" "minor and simple" "selfish" "bs"

I suspect that holding an MS in science with major hours+ in Physics, Math, Chemistry, Biology and General Science (with lifetime teaching certificates in all those areas), researching anti-cancer metabolites which led to synthesizing a broad-spectrum antibiotic active at 1 gama/ml, and teaching Anatomy&Physiology and Microbiology in college for many years just might give me a perspective on what is real and what is "bs" in regards to C19, but probably not as much as a manager of a fast food joint, it seems.

IF you've read WHO's statement on C19 you would find that they recommended re-usable 12-16 layer cotton masks! Have you tried to breathe through that many layers of a T-Shirt or a bandana? Every cotton mask I've seen, including the four sent to my wife and I by Humana, are only 2 layers, both of cotton. Some masks have cotton on top of a blown polyethylene layer in the inside, but hardly of the density of the blown polyethylene layer in an N95 mask.

WHO adds:
        At present, there is no direct evidence (from studies on COVID-19 and in healthy people in the community) on the effectiveness of universal masking of healthy people in the community to prevent infection with respiratory viruses, including COVID-19.
        I could have cited MANY more RCT's showing the lack of effectiveness of wearing masks but assumed, wrongly it appears, that most would at least read the most recent RCT about SARS and face mask effectiveness. In the vain hope that some of you just might be interested in looking beyond the pulp fiction circulating in media these days as scientific evidence I offer Dr. Denis Rancourt, who is certainly more qualified that Gov Coumo or Whitiker, both of whom are responsible for murdering thousands of elderly by sending them, while ill, out of hospitals and back into nursing homes.

https://www.rcreader.com/sites/defau...st-03-2020.pdf

But, if you don't read it then that's OK. It won't make any difference to me, but wearing face masks for long periods of time day after day, as many store and fast food employees are doing, may be more dangerous than you realize. That's Mother Nature. She gives the the test first, then the lesson.

A simple experiment:
        Last edited by GreyGeek; Aug 29, 2020, 08:09 PM.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

@GrayGeek, Thanks for clarifying the efficacy of wearing masks.

I only wear a mask when I need to go to a store which won't let me in without one... I hope their attorneys are satisfied...
          Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

I wear a cotton bandanna that I bought from Walmart years ago. Its hard breathing through it. I use it inside stores. Riding my bike or jogging, I don't use one. What I find funny, is seeing people inside their cars with the windows rolled up and are alone wearing a mask! They are 12 ways removed from the virus, but still wearing the mask. I would think the inside air of a car plus wearing a mask isn't too healthy.
            Boot Info Script

Comment

Sure don't wish to enter into a political debate. But something is amiss with the once-great USA. We can't seem to get our act together, no central command, no consistency of actionable plans, hit or miss with idiots, mayors, governors. A mess of chaos. Why can S Korea, as one good example, get it right, but we flounder? Every citizen for himself/herself/it's-self, and good luck! I own approx 200 masks, KN/N95 and Walgreens 3-ply, and various homemade, etc., and not going to analyze it, maintain social distancing (6'-26'), precautions, alcohol (wipes and for drinking ;-) ) and hope for the best. This country of ours (USA, for our various international guests) needs to get a damned grip, on everything.
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Masks are easy to wear, they DO provide some protection for others, and there is absolutely NO reason to avoid wearing them in public situations. Wear it, and risk to others decreases. Don't wear it and risk to others increases.

One can be hard headed and uncaring about others, but that doesn't help a bit.
                The next brick house on the left
                Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

+1 to jglen Post #22.

And, btw, GreyGeek, I'm not referring to or questioning your technical analysis; in fact, I'm not even going down that road at the moment, except to say I did a very quick study of masks and learned there are many issues to look at, issues with N95, ratings, filters, valves, etc. I'll just go with jglen: start somewhere and wear the damn things. And follow the advice of experts on how THEY want us to do testing to help THEM do THEIR professional analysis -- win, lose, or draw. Start somewhere. Good damn thing this wasn't a bio-terror attack, or we'd all be up sh* creek.
                  An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by verndog View Post
                    I wear a cotton bandanna that I bought from Walmart years ago. Its hard breathing through it. I use it inside stores. Riding my bike or jogging, I don't use one. What I find funny, is seeing people inside their cars with the windows rolled up and are alone wearing a mask! They are 12 ways removed from the virus, but still wearing the mask. I would think the inside air of a car plus wearing a mask isn't too healthy.
                    I don't take mine off if I am going from place to place, say directly from work to get groceries. One part laziness and 5 parts having left it behind one too many times.

Comment

There is an underlying assumption which has not been addressed in this thread. That is the overall morbidity associated with COVID-19. It appears to be less lethal than some of the "flu" virus strains which we've experienced in the past and which are still around.

Media, politicians and some in the medical profession seem willing to portray COVID-19 as way more lethal than statistical analysis will support.

I'm not trying to say there is no danger, but I do feel that the danger is being presented out of proportion. I say that even thought I am in the age demographic with the higher morbidity rate.

I find myself more worried about the reaction of other people to my wearing/not wearing a mask, than I worry about the actual virus...

We live in the era of political correctness.
                      Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

@TWPonKubuntu, the experts have made clear why they are worried and why we should be, too:

seems to be very contagious;
                        the morbidity factor, calculate it as you wish;
                        the many unknowns that they are trying to convert to knowns;
                        and the weird sh* going on: manifesting in multiple symptoms against multiple bodily systems, damage to various organs, after-effects even weeks/months down the road.

The way this was handled is criminal (and that, too, in being looked into by legal experts). Like I said, good damn thing it is a not a bio-chem-terror attack, with no one in charge or responsible.

Comment

Anyone actually gonna answer my question of how they got zoom to auto update.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mr_raider View Post

Probably not....

Comment

Update from within the zoom app itself (manually)
                              Else install it via snap or flatpak

Comment

I've never seen it auto update. Maybe once or twice over the past year (give or take), I've needed to manually update/upgrade.
                                The next brick house on the left
                                Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Working...
                                X