This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
    @TWPonKubuntu, the experts have made clear why they are worried and why we should be, too:

seems to be very contagious;
    the morbidity factor, calculate it as you wish;
    the many unknowns that they are trying to convert to knowns;
    and the weird sh* going on: manifesting in multiple symptoms against multiple bodily systems, damage to various organs, after-effects even weeks/months down the road.

The way this was handled is criminal (and that, too, in being looked into by legal experts). Like I said, good damn thing it is a not a bio-chem-terror attack, with no one in charge or responsible.
    Agree. Policy (perhaps), and actions (definitely), have an impact on the spread, infection, and death rates. For instance, the U.S. has about 5% of the world's population, and about 25% of the world's infection load. Just ask the 180,000 people in the U.S. who died (their loved ones actually) whether "morbidity" rates mean crap. The U.S. has one of the most laissez-faire national approaches to the COVID-19 disease in the world, and certainly among the richest nations. To be fair, the efforts to minimize flu have vaccines, whereas COVID-19 does not - yet.

Maybe you've noticed, maybe not, but there are a lot societies in the world who, when individuals become sick those individuals will wear a mask. Not to protect themselves, but to protect others. Time to put aside pride and self-centered interest. Wear the mask, it's so simple.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

I'm familiar with S Koreans, gotten to know many and communicate daily in a a few YT communities. They live in a totally different (read: better in many ways) society. Specifically re the COVID, they take the governmental guidance to heart, take it very seriously, masking, distancing, "step-wise" implementation of action-policies, etc., and they all encourage and support each other. It's a team effort. USA leadership worldwide has taken a back seat in this and other ways; and frankly it is somewhat embarrassing. Never thought I'd think that, let alone say it out loud, at age 71.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

This 73 year old sees the world in much the same way. The city where I live has a fairly large population of Korean, Japanese, Chinese, and other East Asian/Pacific peoples. Yes, that is a way of life and an approach to life that shows up as people wearing masks for the purpose of protecting others. It's a mindset the rest of us could definitely afford to adopt.
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

@ jglen, Yes, demographic, blended 'subcultures,' I see that where I live. In my neighborhood, we have a dozen nationalities and lifestyles and I know most of them, Chinese, Japanese, Hispanic, E. European, Navajo (two families), Zuni Indian, Philippine, and lifestyle choices, lots of single women homeowners, gay couples, ... dozens of lifestyles and nationalities. And around town and in this state (NM). Best neighbors you could ever hope to have. There are very clear patterns of exemplary beliefs and behavioral patterns ... how's that for a diplomatic way of putting it! ;-) Want to talk about what it * really * means to be a good, true American? ... "They" can tell you.
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

It is important for the whole society to wear masks, then if someone is sick without knowing it, then others will not get infected.

Comment

Originally posted by DannyPhilips View Post
              It is important for the whole society to wear masks, then if someone is sick without knowing it, then others will not get infected.
              You are assuming, of course, that masks work to filter C19. That assumption has been proven by several random controlled trials to be wrong. So, if masks can't filter a 0.1 micron particle, and they can't, what's the point in wearing them?
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Some random comments.

I wear a mask because that's the "law" where I live but I'm acutely aware of its limitations.

This is the first pandemic to be so highly politicised. "The Science" and views of "experts" reflect that.

Never let a good crisis go to waste.

Politicians all over the world are blessed with foresight about how exactly they would have tackled the problem if only they were in power.

There's opportunity for the "health industry" to profit.

The CDC has changed its guidance significantly over the last few months.

One of CDC's most recent updates is dramatically at odds with common understanding re. the percentage of "pure" Covid deaths. Other studies on the value of non-pharmaceutical interventions are revelatory as well. Let's if and how these findings are presented to the public.
                Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

CDC creates a stink

The CDC opened a can of worms last week by adding a paragraph to its report of covid deaths in week ending ...
                  https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/c...ekly/index.htm

The added paragraph stated that 6% of C19 deaths were due only to C19. The remaining 94% had C19 plus an average of 2.6 additional commodities listed on the death certificate.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	covid19_6percent_20200901_081547.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	644867
                  The problem is that the paragraph did not say explicitly that C19 was the primary cause of death in the 94%. Neither does it say that patients with comorbidities would have survived if they hadn't contracted C19. Initially, the CDC states "with" C19 but now use the term "involving" C19.

The CDC is holding back data. This is obvious from the fact that the way the data is presented in the graphs and tables on that CDC website makes it impossible to extract C19 ONLY data. Ditto for Influenza and Pneumonia. This is also obvious from the title of the headers above the columns in Table 1. And, in a footnote to the table:
                  2 Counts of deaths involving pneumonia include pneumonia deaths that also involve COVID-19 and exclude pneumonia deaths involving influenza.
                  3 Counts of deaths involving influenza include deaths with pneumonia or COVID-19 also listed as a cause of death.
                  4 Deaths with confirmed or presumed COVID-19, pneumonia, or influenza, coded to ICD–10 codes U07.1 or J09–18.9.
                  The CDC can't cite ACTUAL Influenza deaths this year because they stopped "tracking" Influenza deaths on May 4th. They weren't really tracking the deaths anyway, because since 2010 they no longer collect deaths due to actual counts of Influenza. They use computer models.

Most states have a 5 or 10 day limit as to how long a death certificate can be withheld so that family members can bury their deceased without an undue delay, unless an autopsy or other medical tests need to be administered. Many states put a 72 hour limit on how long testing is allowed to delay the certificate. But those limits to delay have no effect on how long the CDC can delay in posting certificate counts to their website.

Shortly after May 30th I captured this image:

Name:	CDC_COVID_20200530.png
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	644863
                  And, after July 11th this image:

Name:	CDC_COVID_20200711.png
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	644864
                  And, on Sept 1st this image:

Name:	CDC_COVID_20200901_093926.png
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	644865
                  It is obvious that something has changed that allowed a two week flat spot to balloon out and even inflate previous weeks counts. That cause will be in my next post.

Finally, there is a dropdown combo box on the graph that allows one to choose between "C19 deaths" and "Total Deaths". Here is the "Total Deaths" graph:

Name:	CDC_COVID_TOTAL_DEATHS_20200901_093926.png
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	644866
                  It shows that when adding Pneumonia and Influenza to the data the graph expands upward by a factor of about 5X. The conclusion is obvious. In my next post I offer a possible explanation.

Also, as you can see, the peak of the C19 pandemic was on April 18th, and showed a total of 16,000 C19 deaths during that preceding week. Notice the age range. By 15 to 1 the majority the deceased "with" C19 was 55 and older, with 1/3rd being 85+. In other words, the CDC is reporting what several other governments have reported when they stated that the majority of deaths due to C19 were among the elderly, with the average age being 77.

In May the way C19 cases were counted was changed as well. Initially, a PCR test postmortem was required if C19 was suspected as a factor in the death. In one county, implementing that change elevated the C19 case count from 81 to over 4,600. In my next post I'll show those changes.
                  Last edited by GreyGeek; Sep 01, 2020, 02:56 PM.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Before the change in how C19 cases were counted this was the situation:

Name:	COVID_definition_prior_5-11-2020.jpg
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	644868
                    Notice that only the yellow individual was counted as a C19 case. And, an example:

Name:	COVID_definition_prior_5-11-2020_example.jpg
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	644872

Then came the change:

Name:	COVID_definition_AFTER_5-11-2020.jpg
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	644869
                    and an example:

Name:	COVID_definition_AFTER_5-11-2020_example.jpg
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	644871

Now, with the new definition, EVERYONE is a C19 case, tested or not. And, a death certificate:

Name:	COVID_death_cert_before_and_after.jpg
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	644870

Hundreds of examples exist of people dying from explicit causes (motorcycle accident, heart attack, brain cancer) but because they were classified as a "probable C19", or a postmortem showed serum C19 antigens, the death was listed as due to C19.

The CARES Act provides that for every covid case a hospital treated the Feds would pay an additional 10% of the hospitals fees for such treatment. For every patient that was put on a ventilator the Feds would pay an additional 39% of the hospitals regular fees. So, yes, there was an incentive for hospitals to elevate patients to covid status.

So, today, we are in a contradictory state of having ballooning numbers of C19 "cases", with mostly asymptomatic, and a declining number of deaths attributed to C19, even with the new definition.

As I mentioned before, when I was a JR in HS in 1958 a Flu pandemic struck. It killed 116,000 Americans, which would be equivalent to 232,000 today. Even so, we went about our normal lives. In this pandemic, IF it is one, why did we lay off 14 million workers and nearly destroy our economy? Who is driving the hysteria? Why are some people shaming others who choose not to wear masks when the scientific evidence establishes unequivocally that masks do not work? Masks are becoming a great example of Lysenkoism. I even see people hyperventilating over the idea that because so many people are out of work no one is manufacturing goods and delivering services and supply chains are becoming empty.
                    Last edited by GreyGeek; Sep 01, 2020, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the data GreyGeek. I note that there seems to be a decline in the death RATE. I wonder how much of that is due to changes in the way the cause of death is attributed?

In earlier weeks, there were reports that hospitals were making more money by listing COVID as the cause of death. ie. get hit by a car, but test positive for COVID and that became the cause, thus ratcheting up the totals for COVID. With the acknowledged hyper sensitivity of the newest tests (PCR), many more people are found to have been exposed...

It is also curious that the influenza reporting is being ignored, perhaps because influenza deaths are happening at a similar rate to COVID? But no clamor for us to wear masks to avoid influenza...

Looking forward to the rest of your report.
                      Last edited by TWPonKubuntu; Sep 01, 2020, 09:49 PM.
                      Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                        You are assuming, of course, that masks work to filter C19. That assumption has been proven by several random controlled trials to be wrong. So, if masks can't filter a 0.1 micron particle, and they can't, what's the point in wearing them?
                        They may not filter all the particles, but they affect the ballistics of the droplets, and most virus is contained within droplets. With masks the particle will be projected to a far shorter distance which will help reduce contagion to people in closer proximity.

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
                          Thanks for data GreyGeek. I note that there seems to be a decline in the death RATE. I wonder how much of that is due to changes in the way the cause of death is attributed?....
                          It is also curious that the influenza reporting is being ignored, perhaps because influenza deaths are happening at a similar rate to COVID? But no clamor for us to wear masks to avoid influenza...

Looking forward to the rest of your report.
                          The rules regarding the determination of death has INCREASED the likelihood that a death will be classified as due to C19 regardless of the real cause. Despite that one can see that death rates are declining. New York, for example, has essentially flat lined:
                          https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/new-york/
                          showing only a few deaths per day. They seem to have reached herd immunity. My own state, Nebraska, has for all practical purposes flat lined as well.
                          https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

22 states have 0 or 1 deaths due to C19 yesterday, and another 20 or so had 2 to 10 cases. California had 82 deaths yesterday. Florida 64. Texas 53. The total deaths yesterday was 512 for the entire nation.
                          This in a nation of 330 million people that recorded 6.2 million C19 cases and 187,736 C19 deaths over the last 6 months.

According to Statista about 171,800 have died of Pneumonia as of 8/22 this year. They also show 6,655 Influenza deaths.

Comment

I am shocked that the comorbidity story took so dang long to make it here. Has social media and alternative news been slow or something this week? Or is it just the narrow field of view the lens that is the internet makes it harder to zoom out and see more context outside of what confirms one's preset notions, and create obvious conclusions.

Say I get bronchitis, which then causes me to develop pneumonia. Which kills me. I have respiratory issues. So what killed me, the bronchitis, or the COPD?

Sure, there will be misreporting, in hospital data as well as whatever passes for news outlets looking to minimize things. Or overinflat them, depending on what crowd is being catered to.
                            Add in each state reporting things differently just to keep things interesting.

Excess deaths
                            https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/c...ess_deaths.htm
                            https://hub.jhu.edu/2020/09/01/comorbidities-and-coronavirus-deaths-cdc/

Influenza
                            https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden...-estimates.htm
                            https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2018-2019.html

EDIT
                            Sorry I keep forgetting this is a Linux support forum, and not Facebook or Usenet.
                            I'll go back to work now.
                            Last edited by claydoh; Sep 01, 2020, 04:11 PM.

Comment

And a lot of people don't understand what CDC was talking about, including many high up in the Administration. The fact still remains that we have, and have had, a serious problem with COVID-19 and weak guidance, and interest, towards solving the problem. So we end up with a disproportionate impact on American citizens, and more bs from "sources" like QAnon than we can stand.

Comment

Nothing to see here folks. Just routine stuff:

Name:	Screenshot_20200901_202156.png
Size:	214.0 KB
ID:	644873

Comment

Working...
                                X