This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mr_raider View Post
    How do you update zoom automatically? There is no repo that I'm aware of.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    Hi
    Thank you for the question. The app itself downloads from the ZOOM(tm) site itself, I clicked a menu dropdown and chose Ubuntu and it installed the AMD64 version. Whenever I log into work on a meeting or a room or whatever ZOOM(tm) says it needs to download an updage and it forces it through, no choice. I don't see any "difference" in anything. But it does take a few minutes so that is why i check in early before I really "need" to do anything with another person.

again, thanks for the question.
    woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

GG
      thanks for the information I have it and it runs and all but I have not attempted to get it to interact with a ZOOM(tm) room. I figured that as stressed as all of the systems are, that "playing along" would be best.
      But, again, thanks for the info!
      woody

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      There are a bunch of deb package (4-6) that contain various parts and rather than clog up my laptop with those, or with the electron version, I decided to download and use the AppImage.
      https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-meet-electron/releases which contains
      https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-meet-...86_64.AppImage
      Then I added the execute permission using Dophin.

I did not want to run without a sandbox so I used the sysctl command.

I got an icon from here: https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-meet-...esources/icons
      and used it to pretty up my menu entry.

It works wonderfully!
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
        You can copy from the KDE connect notification so you can just paste the code in.
        LOL...THANK YOU! i NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT! i AM SO DUMB MANY TIMES!
        woody
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Thanks for the comment, it is useful information!
          woodsmoke
          Originally posted by mbohets View Post
          Nice to see that things are working out online for you.

I had less luck when being invited to an online meeting using Microsoft Teams.
          There is a linux preview version, so I installed that one.
          As I never used teams before, I started it well in advance of the meeting, and at first it seemed to work, I got to the meeting bridge of the company that invited me, but the meeting was not online yet.
          30 min later, just before the start of the meeting, I tried again, but I was no longer able to connect.
          I got all kinds of errors, telling me that I needed to re-install the 2 factor authenticator app on my cell phone, but that did not help, also MS Teams was not opening up anymore, even afer a purge and re-install.
          The only way I saw that is was on my system was an icon in the taskbar telling me that teams was running, but I could not maximize it anymore.

So after having missed the first 20 min of the meeting, I got an older pc that still had a windows OS in dual boot on it, and logged into the meeting using Windows10
          I kept Windows on that older PC for the occasional firmware update of a synthesiser, that has an updater that only runs on windows.
          sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

GG...
            Hi!
            AS ALWAYS...you always have "the straight skinny".

I "think" that the college administrators ( after all we are a high tech place) are aware of what you have posted.

My thoughts are several:
            a) I think that every single "educational" institution is just SCARE PLAIN SILLY that a student will die from the CV-19 and it be "traced" back to the college and then the college will be "sued" or a teacher" will be sued or whatever, and even if not sued then the "bad press" would be horrible...
            b) Trump has pumped a LOT of money into the 'education" system for this and because of the very far thinking architect using state of the art construction materials the college was able to ...really...literall tear apart a lot of the buildings and rearrange them to get the students "a six foot distance"...
            c) the college, as with many other colleges, has taken a very large income "hit" because of limiting "classroom seats" to 16, that being down from a normal 24 to get the students even further apart.
            d) However, the hit was somewhat mitigated, again, by a very forward thinking board of directors in that all classes have at least one online version and / or a hybrid that meets physically for something like a lab. And requiring all instrucors to put "at least something" ...online starting a few years ago and switching to Canvas(tm) from Blackboard(tm) which actually enhances online sharing of things like images or video ... ALL of the students were actually ready for the move to "remote learning"...EXCEPT... a lot of stdents were using the MANY computer "labs" instead of owing hardware at home and having internet in the residence. THESE people were literally using their cell phones for a lot of the online interaction for most of it and otherwise just "faking it".

The reasoning for this was that the college did not want to separate students into "haves" and "have nots" with hardware.

But, this semester all students are required to have a computer or tablet, etc... now...HOW is this checked...it is not... nobody is going to go to a students home...but... again, the Trump money was not wasted on foll de roll... ANY student who merely asks for a computer can get a "Chrome book" for no interest student fee charge...or...literally FREE... that money came from local donors... again, how does anyone check if the student actually does not have a computer and is not lying...nobody checks...it literally comes down to "trusting the student"...

Kind of says something about the midwest doesn't it?

Same for internet access. if the student does not have it ...it is provided free... of course, there it can be checked, the internet provider knows who has what...

So...

We have had a loss in seated students but a nice increase in online students...but... this works only for "non laboratory" classes like language, history, art all that stuff..

As to masks...

I really DO think that the administration does NOT think that masks "work" but that by insisting on EVERYBODY wearing them that the students will be more "aware" of being socially distanced since the rooms have been expanded / rearranged, and the cohort sizes reduced in numbers of people...and that the distancing is the real factor to keep it from being transmitted at the college.

The Canvas(tm) site also has a massive greeting with information about distancing and all that and the college has an OBVIOUS and easily accessed "dashboard" with a listing of the numbers of students on each campus which are quarrantined and also those who have an actual case.

Fortunately we have some campii with no cases and others have literally one and one campus two.

The college really is VERY large but it has no "sports teams" and it also has no "dormitories" and only one "lunch room" on the main campus. The college is literally a "drive up" set of campii with students bringing lunches or some campii having various "food trucks".

So...yeah...face masks... we are requiring a "cloth mask" and that is all but it is being monitored ...

BUT THEN... we also had one student... will not get into other things... that enrolled on one campus appeared with a "devil mask" and got into "it" with campus security and later literally DROVE to another campus an hour away and tried to get into that campus with the devil mask... all in one day... and the next day did not appear for class so it has been assumed that he had "nefarious" reasons...

Ya know... there really IS stuff that can't be made up!

woodsmoke

Hi Woody!
            Masks ... ugh!

The National Institute of Health (NIH) is a US government agency that collects articles from academic and professional journals around the world.

The paper linked below was published April 22, 2015, following the first MERS and SARS pandemic. Unlike studies published since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, this is an example of a paper which was not
            Besides, IF even cotton masks worked as well as some claim, why impose social distancing or crowd size limits (except for "peaceful" protesting)?
            **stepping off soap box**
            Last edited by woodsmoke; Sep 01, 2020, 09:12 PM.
            sigpic
            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Anyone actually gonna answer my question of how they got zoom to auto update.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
              Hi
              yes, I did elsewhere.
              woodsmoke
              sigpic
              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

LOL just LOL GG...

LYSENKOISM... GUESS WHAT IS NOT BEING TAUGHT IN BIOLOGY CLASSES SINCE about ten years ago...
                because...supposedly..."we do not want to offend "Russians"... and because "the students should not be CONFUSED by seemingly contradictory information...:

Well..I ...teach it...with a picture of the man and also Kruschev and information from OLDER books...and Wikipedia...

A NOTE...I have mentioned this several years ago but when I was teaching environmental science and the Avian flu was SWEEPING across Asia toward Europe during the Obama years...

I thought that was a GREAT thing to have the students graph and study exponential growth of things like transmissible diseases...

AND WHAT DID WE FIND?

The World Health Organization literally DID NOT POST the numbers...they instead posted images of the world map with "CIRCLES OF DIFFERENT SIZES" to represent the "outbreaks"... So the students then "used diameters" to INFER the numbers and graph them...

Yeah this whole thing about "reporting numbers" is ... questionable...

great information GG!

lol...Lysenkoism...ONLY YOU would bring in that perspective!

woody
                Before the change in how C19 cases were counted this was the situation:
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]9048[/ATTACH]
                Who is driving the hysteria? Why are some people shaming others who choose not to wear masks when the scientific evidence establishes unequivocally that masks do not work? Masks are becoming a great example of Lysenkoism. I even see people hyperventilating over the idea that because so many people are out of work no one is manufacturing goods and delivering services and supply chains are becoming empty.
                sigpic
                Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

They may not filter all the particles, but they affect the ballistics of the droplets, and most virus is contained within droplets. With masks the particle will be projected to a far shorter distance which will help reduce contagion to people in closer proximity.
                  Your comment on "the ballistics" of the droplets is what I described in my first lecture this semester. The absolute latest data out discusses the "six foot" rule when there is a "mixed" group of people some with and some without masks but... ... in a uniform group, in which all are masked the ballistics actually work out to "three feet" However, the college is forcing 6 feet in almost all enclosed spaces.. No students are seated with only three feet but, because, literally, of the construction of lab tables the closest are "diagonal" at an "minimum " of about four and a half feet but there is something else involved that has not yet been discussed.

And, I didn't plan on this being a thread about masks...!

And that is "the amount of time" that people are at a certain distance from each other.

That is literally, as far as I can determine ... what is the reasoning about "closing churches" vs "opening bars".

People in a church are going to spend at least an "hour" sitting at whatever distance the local authorities prescribe.

But people in a "bar" are "mostly" mobile if they are younger... yes people do sit elbow to elbow but "most" people in a bar are "moving around" so they do not spend an "hour" next to each other..

One of the other professors made a vague discussion about attending a ZOOM about there being a "matrix" of various data sets about "distance", "time being near someone", the temperature of the enclosed space, whether there is an active high volume of air moved in the space, and other things...

And, a complicating factor about "air volume movement" is...to where are the droplets being moved?

...and the problem with opening bars because people "move around"...is...are they not just "mixing the air" and "keeping the droplets buoyed".? And if so, then why is this supposed mobility not creating "in effect" the same situation as someone "sitting in a pew"... dunno...

It is all more complex that the decision makers actually talk about.

but...good comment.

woodsmoke

woodsmoke
                  Last edited by woodsmoke; Sep 01, 2020, 10:16 PM.
                  sigpic
                  Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

An interesting video about censorship on social media:
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

He's quite happy to use their platform to make money but not abide by their rules.

Comment

Did you even watch the video?
                        What are YT's rules in their ToS? They are vague and can be applied in any way the YT wants, even contradictory.
                        That's the point of the video.
                        That YT makes up rules on the fly has become overwhelmingly obvious.
                        YT's arbitrary and capricious application of their ToS, which slants HEAVILY to favor the extreme Left, has forced many to post videos in BitChute, Briteon, LBRY.TV, and other sites that don't censor videos based on vague and arbitrary PC rules.

One YouTuber creator I watch is Thunderfoot, who definitely leans to the Left, but it doesn't appear to matter. Talk about shooting your wounded and eating your young.
                        Listen to his tale of woe.
                        Last edited by GreyGeek; Sep 03, 2020, 09:22 AM.
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

"They" who is "they? The second video shows it's a problem with the A.I. The A.I. that youtubes uses because it's not really physically possible to manually monitor all the crap that is put on youtube, yet they have to do it somehow because of the law. All of their community guidelines are applying laws, using an imperfect AI to cover their backsides. This guy is upset, like most of these youtubers are upset, not because of the rules but because the process denies them the initial first few days influx of views = $. So, he should switch to an alternate provider that can get him better money, oh no, he can't. The problem for youtube is it is too big to competently apply the laws in the many countries it spans. The redundant intellectual property laws and absurd neo-communist behavioural laws it is forced to abide to and it is easier to penalise the video uploaders than fight large firms copyright teams and governments. So, imo, video uploaders should focus their ire on the lawmakers they elect rather than the company that is clumsily enforcing them and am sure would rather not like to spend a large portion of budget doing so.

Comment

woodsmoke:
                            ...and the problem with opening bars because people "move around"...is...are they not just "mixing the air" and "keeping the droplets buoyed".? And if so, then why is this supposed mobility not creating "in effect" the same situation as someone "sitting in a pew"... dunno...
                            I went through a "barfly" mode (btw, I love the movie, Charles Bukowski) around 1989-1992 (which means, probably longer than that ;-) ), and you have a point, IME. Ever notice (are you a bar go-er?) how easy it is to catch all sorts of stuff in a bar -- cold and flu bugs are popular. Since you are out of it much of the time, you hardly notice, though. Of course, there is also another variable: immune systems.
                            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

@ GreyGeek & Bings ... If you ever do have an issue with YT, it is very difficult -- if not impossible -- to contact a live human to talk to about it by email. You are at the mercy of A.I.
                              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Bings View Post
                                "They" who is "they? The second video shows it's a problem with the A.I. The A.I. that youtubes uses because it's not really physically possible to manually monitor all the crap that is put on youtube, yet they have to do it somehow because of the law. All of their community guidelines are applying laws, using an imperfect AI to cover their backsides. This guy is upset, like most of these youtubers are upset, not because of the rules but because the process denies them the initial first few days influx of views = $. So, he should switch to an alternate provider that can get him better money, oh no, he can't. The problem for youtube is it is too big to competently apply the laws in the many countries it spans. The redundant intellectual property laws and absurd neo-communist behavioural laws it is forced to abide to and it is easier to penalise the video uploaders than fight large firms copyright teams and governments. So, imo, video uploaders should focus their ire on the lawmakers they elect rather than the company that is clumsily enforcing them and am sure would rather not like to spend a large portion of budget doing so.
                                English not your first language? "They" refers to its antecedent,
                                What are YT's rules in their ToS? They are ...
                                You are right in at least one regard: the first week of a video's life on YT is the most important for generation of income from ads. YT's first attack is to demonize a video. That's just a fancy way of saying "thank you, but we'll keep the money your video earns for ourself, but keep on posting your stuff because it will make us even more money". YT is, in many cases, nothing more or less than a thief. Or, in Activists terms, an employer exploiting workers.

Blaming everything on AI won't fly because YT has people that follow selected individuals and manually flag their content. Even you can flag a video you don't like and cause it to be taken off line. AI *might* be the thing that first looks at your flag, but many times it is assigned an individual. Also, the AI appears to have pro-Left and anti_Conservative bias programmed into it because the ratio of demonetized videos is not proportional. YT also shadow bans some content creators by not informing their subscribers of new videos, not updating their subscriber count properly to make them appear to be less popular than they are, not putting their videos in the "new" stream, etc... It tells you a lot when YT employed the SPLC a classic example of a Left Wing hate group, to flag Conservative videos.

There are good things to come from YT's censorship. It will force content creators to migrate away from the giant corporate platforms to other places where their views, writing, speech, art and content will never be censored. Many YT content creators have 2ndary channels on BitChute, LBRY.TV , Brighteon and other sites on which they post their videos as well. Those sites are not filtered politically, so you can see a wide range of political views. That site often becmes the content creator's primary channel after they are deplatformed from YT. Content providers on those sites also have links to their Patron and similar account so they get monetized that way. More and more, YT is using their "community guidelines" as an excuse not to pay channels for their views.

This has placed YT, FB, Twitter and other sites in violation of the Community Decency Act, section 230, which says Internet sites are not responsible for the content posted on their site IF they do not edit the content. That is exactly what YT, FB and Twitter are doing by filtering content based on the POV of the content provider.

In July the Commerce Dept filed a petition with the FCC to "Clarify Liability Protections for Online Platforms and Protect Against Censorship". "The petition was filed in response to the May 2020 Executive Order on Preventing Online Censorship. It calls on the FCC to make clear when online platforms can claim section 230 protections if they restrict access to content in a manner not specifically outlined under the Act." The petition is here.

Comment

Working...
                                X