This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bendy View Post
    Apologies if you already know this, but I find you can help to keep Kontact working reliably by regularly running a couple of maintenance commands on the Akonadi database backend:
    Code:
    akonadictl fsck
    and
    Code:
    akonadictl vacuum
    Run the commands as your regular user (not sudo).

Me and Kontact have had our issues over the years, but I stick with it because Thunderbird is so damn ugly on a Plasma desktop....

Click image for larger version

Name:	8g5s5e.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	676853

Comment

Today I quickly spun up a VM and started a live ISO with today's Kubuntu 24.04 (Noble Numbat) Daily Build to have a look at the state of things
      (be aware that this is - in contrary to the posts of NoWorries - a virtual machine and only from a live ISO):
      KDE Plasma 5.27.10
      KDE Frameworks 5.115.0
      KDE Gear 23.08.4
      Qt 5.15.10
      Mesa 24.0.1
      Kernel 6.6.0-14
      snap list only shows the usual(?) bare, core22, firefox, firmware-updater, gnome-42-2204, gtk-common-themes and snapd.
      So fortunately no Thunderbird Snap yet…

The default $XGD_SESSION_TYPE is X11.

PS: The firmware-updater Snap is new compared to the previous Kubuntu releases.
      Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 11, 2024, 04:52 AM.
      Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
      Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
      install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

We are now in final 2 Months before the Release of Noble Numbat 24.04 LTS

This month has been characterised by a multitude of updates. For this month, only the KDE Plasma version has not been advanced. Version 6 will come in the six months of Noble development.

Now for the impressive list of Info Version updates in the last month with the Application Version updates.

3 Months Ago 2 Months Status
        KDE Plasma Version 5.27.10 5.27.10
        KDE Frameworks Version 5.113 5.115.0
        QT Version 5.15.10 5.15.12
        Application Version 4:23.08.4 4:23.08.5
        Kernel Version 6.7.0-2-generic 6.8.0-11-generic

I am very impressed with the advances reflected in the above list. Most notable is the QT Version update which reflects that Plasma 6 is getting ready with QT Version possibly getting to 6 as well. Looks like exciting days ahead.

I continue to use Noble 100% of the time and appreciate its stability. I assume that other users of Noble are experiencing the same stability. Congratulations to the developers for the progress they have made over the last month and will continue to make in the coming months

Comment

Slightly OT:

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
          I have noticed that kernel 6.7.x uses a good deal more memory on cold boot than e.g. kernel 6.5.x or 6.6.x (I have seen this in openSUSE Tumbleweed and Arch).
          Did you also observe this in Kubuntu 24.04?
          With the update to kernel 6.7.6 both in openSUSE Tumbleweed and Arch the memory usage on cold boot has dropped by approximately 512MB for my main desktop computer!
          I have no idea why, but I am satisfied with the newer kernels now.
          Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Feb 26, 2024, 06:51 PM.

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
          install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Anyone else having trouble with Noble hanging when shutdown from the menu?

Comment

Yes, I do have trouble with the Shut Down button not working. The only one that I now use to Shut Down is the Log Out button and that gives all options including the Shut Down option.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
                Yes, I do have trouble with the Shut Down button not working. The only one that I now use to Shut Down is the Log Out button and that gives all options including the Shut Down option.
                My system still hangs when trying that.
                I'll try a "sudo shutdown now" next.

Comment

It's easier to simply use poweroff - and no need for sudo in *Ubuntu.

Comment

As many of you already know Kubuntu 24.04 LTS will use the Calamares installer.

Fun fact: the installer's slideshow still is the one from Lubuntu.

Comment

I had trouble with my ASUS Laptop and decided to do a new install with the latest build on the 18 March 24. The Lubuntu message came up on the installation messages. Unfortunately the installation failed.

The error message was Bad main script file. So I am not sure how long it will take for the developers to sort this one out?

Comment

You can temporarily use this workaround (or do it "by hand"), but don't disconnect from the internet afterwards or the installer will very probably fail despite the modifications.

PS: at the moment the default session is X11 - plasma-workspace-wayland is not installed by default, kwin-wayland is ("This package provides the wayland version, which is still a work in progress project, and is available as a PREVIEW release. Don't expect the same stability as with the x11 version.")
                        Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Mar 19, 2024, 02:33 AM. Reason: added PS

Comment

Update to my earlier issue:-
                          The problem has fixed itself via daily updates.
                          My PC now shuts down when told to, as expected.

Comment

The problem that I face is that in the installation process I get the message to configure a GPT partition table on BIOS. The trouble is that my BIOS does not provide this option. When I ignore this my installation fails. When I did an installation of Mantic this was not needed. So is noble not able to be installed on a Laptop purchased in 2007?

Sorry, my mistake, that was a previous ASUS but the one I am having trouble with was bought in Dec 2012
                            Last edited by NoWorries; Mar 19, 2024, 01:56 PM.

Comment

At least in a VM it was no problem to install Kubuntu 24.04 (development branch) on a virtual drive with an MBR/"dos" partition table and completely without an ESP…

What is the message you get when it fails?

Comment

You should visit the iso testing page
                                Open the Noble link and.......find this ( and )
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240319_112502.png
Views:	129
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	677458

And the bug report has a workaround until whatever backlog has cleared up in Ubuntuland
                                It is a quick edit of a calamares configuration file before starting the install process from the live session.

Comment

Working...
                                X