This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
    That lets me hope that Snaps can be removed and disabled in 24.04 as "easily" as in the Kubuntu versions before for a desktop installation.
    That's good to know. Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
      Unfortunately, today's updates resulted in my external UHD monitor (3840x2160) reverting to a 640x480 size which is totally useless. I hope the developers can get a solution which solves this problem permanently.
      You mention kscreen.. and this hit a bell with me...

Any reason you let that thing run Why?

I don't have the real estate right now to have enough 26" monitors for the systems I would like on my desk... so I use a external switcher and the built in port switcher of the monitors to do it, when I need the physical screen. About 5% of the, the other 95% I can just "X in" (My term, its just X11 forwarding via SSH, NO VNC, rdp (pffttttoooeey!) is not an option or is a waste, ) do my stuff and leave..; Matter of fact this is done on just such a session.. box 1000's of miles from me..

Anyway.. back to my point...

In the cases I have to reboot, I found that either the external switch I have (cheap Oriental junk, yes) doesn't pass the right signals, respond correctly or something, and thus I get some low res screen on a reboot... then it dawned on me what was causing the issue, KSCREEN!

I physically connect up the cable from the switch to the monitor instead, reboot, get the normal screen 1920x1080, and then KILL SCREEN! kill -9 (pid of kscreen) and move on!

Honestly I think this is more kscreen than the switch.. as why does anything need to keep looking at monitors and their resolution after boot? I am surely missing the forest for the trees on this I am sure.

So my suggestion is.. at least from what I read.. boot up with this fancy monitor , let it set the size, and then KILL KSCREEN! ( kill -9 [pid of kscreen] ) this ended my nuisance with it.. this comes into play too when doing XDMCP of full desktops... this is another reason I think kscreen is the main culprit in my case v. even the cheapo junky switch I have..

Can't hurt, to try it and if not just reboot...

Comment

As Christmas is just around the corner, I hope all on this forum have a very happy Christmas.

Unfortunately, I have a number of issues that I wish to raise.

The first is, does anyone know when the UHD external monitor switching to a low resolution, ie 640x480 will be fixed? Over the last week it seems to be getting worse and I was wondering if it was my hardware at fault. The only consolation is that it works fine on Mantic.

The second is that my calendar Kontact fails with the error
        Code:
        ~$ kontact
        [3010:3010:1221/171649.013462:FATAL:credentials.cc(125)] Check failed: . : Permission denied (13)
        Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)​
        I am so disappointed to have these problems so close to the next monthly anniversary just after Christmas.

Comment

The second is that my calendar Kontact fails with the error
          Code:
          ~$ kontact
          [3010:3010:1221/171649.013462:FATAL:credentials.cc(125)] Check failed: . : Permission denied (13)
          Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)​
          I am so disappointed to have these problems so close to the next monthly anniversary just after Christmas.
          That would be this bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/2046844

On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

It is Now 4 Months before the Release of Noble Numbat 24.04 LTS

It is very unfortunate that this 4 month anniversary coincides with Christmas which is the time we celebrate with family and friends. In Australia, I am doing this post on our Boxing Day which will appear as Christmas Day in the UK and USA, so I will endeavour to give a positive aspect to this review.

Now for the progress by developers over the last month.

5 Months To Go 4 Months To Go
            KDE Plasma Version 5.27.9 5.27.10
            KDE Frameworks Version 5.112 5.113
            QT Version 5.15.10 5.15.10
            Application Version 4:23.08.3 4:23.08.4
            Kernel Version 6.5.0-9-generic 6.6.0-14-generic

As you can see, all major aspects have moved up one notch with the exception of QT. Many of you may not have the Kernel version 6.6.0-14 as I added
            Code:
            sudo add-apt-repository ppa:canonical-kernel-team/bootstrap
            and my system is working very well. The only problems that I still have are:
            1. The calendar Kontact fails but Korganize works well,
            2. My UHD External Display still reverts to a low resolution 640x480. This only happens when I leave my system for about an hour.
            I appreciate the excellent work done by the developers and consider that this is still in an early stage of development, 99% of this system works very well for me.

I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year as we all enjoy and participate in the excellent development of Noble.

Comment

Every now and then my DVD tray ejects itself and a little later draws back in again. There is no DVD/CD on the tray and no file browsers (ie. Dolphin) open.
              EDIT> Decided to leave it with grub menu on screen and the same happens. Seems like it's not the OS.
              Last edited by cookiemuncher; Dec 29, 2023, 05:31 PM.

Comment

I am pleased to say that the problem with my UHD external display reverting to a low resolution 640x480 is now fixed with the recent updates. So I can now use Noble 100% without worrying about it reverting to a low resolution disconnected display.

Comment

It is Now 3 Months before the Release of Noble Numbat 24.04 LTS

The only difference in the Info Centre areas over the last month is in the Kernel version as shown in the table below.

4 Months To Go 3 Months To Go
                  KDE Plasma Version 5.27.10 5.27.10
                  KDE Frameworks Version 5.113 5.113
                  QT Version 5.15.10 5.15.10
                  Application Version 4:23.08.4 4:23.08.4
                  Kernel Version 6.6.0-14-generic 6.7.0-2-generic

I have had may updates over the last month, but these have been in the areas of consolidation as the third digit of packages is only advanced.

So this system continues to be very stable for me with the only problem being with my calendar Kontact failing but KOrganizer works well, I still find that LibreOffice Impress for all slides, still has a white line along the right and bottom edge of the projection screen - this is a LibreOffice problem I believe.

I use Noble 100% of the time and appreciate its stability. I assume that other users of Noble are experiencing the same stability. I still look forward, in anticipation, to the developers progress in the coming months.
                  Last edited by NoWorries; Jan 26, 2024, 04:00 AM.

Comment

I have noticed that kernel 6.7.x uses a good deal more memory on cold boot than e.g. kernel 6.5.x or 6.6.x (I have seen this in openSUSE Tumbleweed and Arch).
                    Did you also observe this in Kubuntu 24.04?
                    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
                    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
                    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
                      I have noticed that kernel 6.7.x uses a good deal more memory on cold boot than e.g. kernel 6.5.x or 6.6.x (I have seen this in openSUSE Tumbleweed and Arch).
                      Did you also observe this in Kubuntu 24.04?
                      Since I have 15.5 GiB of memory, I have not noticed that problem.

Comment

It is no problem for me either regarding memory - I was just curious, because for my computer's system it was something like 1,2 GB vs. 2 GB with the upgrade from kernel 6.5.x to 6.7.x …
                        And it might become "problematic" (meaning: increase swapping) in everyday use then, if you wanted to install 24.04 on an older machine that has e.g. a max memory of only 4 GB and an iGPU that also uses this memory.
                        Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jan 26, 2024, 02:52 PM.

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
                        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

While one can install a Porsche engine in a Volkswagen Beetle, there are going to be limitations one has to deal with. At a certain point, 'old(er)' hardware just isn't going to be up to snuff for the latest OS's.
                          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

The Register : KDE 6 misses boat to make it into Kubuntu 24.04

Comment

In the past I have commented that Kontact fails to start. About a week ago it launched successfully with the only problem being Feeds not being displayed correctly. Today I went into Kontact > Settings > Configure Kontact and changed display parameters and I was surprised that Feeds were displayed correctly. I suspect that updates probably fixed this problem and it was just coincidental that that I found Feeds working.

So now every aspect of Kontact is now working very well for me. Many thanks to the developers for a job well done.

Comment

So now every aspect of Kontact is now working very well for me. Many thanks to the developers for a job well done.
                                Apologies if you already know this, but I find you can help to keep Kontact working reliably by regularly running a couple of maintenance commands on the Akonadi database backend:
                                Code:
                                akonadictl fsck
                                and
                                Code:
                                akonadictl vacuum
                                Run the commands as your regular user (not sudo).

Me and Kontact have had our issues over the years, but I stick with it because Thunderbird is so damn ugly on a Plasma desktop....

Comment

Working...
                                X