This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nicely Nitpick Noble 24.04 LTS

I have just found that the next version of Kubuntu 24.04 is now available for download from:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/daily-live/current/

​​Compared with the final version of Mantic is rates very well for the first release of Noble.
    ​​​
    Mantic Release Noble 1st Release
    KDE Plasma Version 5.27.8​ 5.27.9
    KDE Frameworks Version 5.110.0​ 5.110.0
    KDE Applications Version 23.08.1​ 23.08.1
    QT Version 5.15.10 5.15.10
    Kernel Version 6.5.0-09-generic 6.5.0.-9-generic

The developers have certainly taken a careful approach in not releasing this at the time the Ubuntu 24.04 version was released. Like many of you, I am therefore looking forward to the developments of Noble in the coming months.

I have not been able to install Noble as it fails with the message "An attempt to install additional packages from media failed". So the current package is only good viewing.

Has anyone been able to do the installation?

Comment

Today's ISO install ok in a VM for me.
      On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Many thanks acheron, I have now been able to install Noble on my Asus Laptop using the latest ISO. Before doing this, I decided to install Mantic as all my previous attempts had reset my home directory. Unfortunately, I was doing Noble's installation process before dinner and I had to pause it to lend a hand. When I got back, I needed to enter the Live Session password which I found impossible to find, so I restarted the process and nursed it all the way.

As the installation process is understandably slow at this early stage, it would be great if the Live Session password was either nothing, Kubuntu or some other simple name that is easily found.

Comment

For some days now, I have been finding that my external monitor suddenly drops into a low resolution screen that is totally detached from my primary monitor. I deleted the kscreen file in .local/share, but it still returned. The file that I initially had is: Original_screen.txt . The created low resolution screen is: Low_resolution_created.txt

This forum system would not allow me to upload the kscreen files using their original names, so I changed the name to a text file which it accepted and that is why the name is different. The actual names are respectively 8d64366f9dfec177b8f51d752328bc2c and 812ef0e8d72b50cb05543d12ce15b8a1.

My external monitor behaves as it should using Mantic which is in a separate partition on my Laptop.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by NoWorries; Nov 23, 2023, 04:27 AM.

Comment

It would have been more practical if you had inserted the two text files within CODE tags.
            Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
            Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
            install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

It is Now 5 Months before the Release of Noble Numbat 24.04 LTS

Since the 1st release of Noble, I have had a few teething problems which are my own undoing. My big mistake was to try Grub-Customizer on Mantic to avoid grub edits with my initial installation of Nodle. That totally failed because Grub-Customize only works with older versions of Kubuntu, so I had to do a new installation of Noble. I have finally achieved doing basic Grub edits to have an acceptable boot menu with Mantic, Noble and Widows 10. I no longer have to use a magnifying glass to see the boot menu options on my high definition screen.

Now for a list of the progress by developers since the the first release. This list, as always, is based on the items in the Info Centre.

Noble 1st Release 5 Months To Go
              KDE Plasma Version 5.27.9 5.27.9
              KDE Frameworks Version 5.110.0 5.112
              QT Version 5.15.10 5.15.10
              Application Version 4:23.08.3
              Kernel Version 6.5.0-9-generic 6.5.0-9-generic

As you can see, there is steady progress and I have found the system very usable after fixing my boot problems.

Recently I had only one major problem with my external monitor going into a low resolution screen that was disconnected from my primary monitor. This is now working correctly and I do not have to disconnect my external monitor when I boot Noble.

I now enjoy using Noble and appreciate the excellent work done by the developers. I also look forward, in anticipation, to their progress in the coming months.

Comment

A word of Warning for those who use LO Impress for presentations. Noble has LO version 4:7.6.3-rc1 and this version has a WHITE LINE on the right and bottom edge of the projection screen. Mantic has Version 4:7.6.2 and this version has NO WHITE LINES. So I have locked LO at its current version on Mantic and will wait and see if LO Impress still has white lines when its final version is released.

Comment

Are there more Snap apps pre-installed compared to 22.04 LTS?

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
                    For some days now, I have been finding that my external monitor suddenly drops into a low resolution screen that is totally detached from my primary monitor. I deleted the kscreen file in .local/share, but it still returned. The file that I initially had is: Original_screen.txt . The created low resolution screen is: Low_resolution_created.txt

This forum system would not allow me to upload the kscreen files using their original names, so I changed the name to a text file which it accepted and that is why the name is different. The actual names are respectively 8d64366f9dfec177b8f51d752328bc2c and 812ef0e8d72b50cb05543d12ce15b8a1.

My external monitor behaves as it should using Mantic which is in a separate partition on my Laptop.
                    In my latest report I said that this problem had been fixed. Unfortunately, the switching of my UHD external monitor (3840x2160) to a low resolution is still present . I deleted my kscreen and initially Noble behaved as it should, but it then changed to the following:

Code:
                    [
                    {
                    "enabled": true,
                    "id": "7243efe92100328fa4cc17959179d4ed",
                    "metadata": {
                    "fullname": "xrandr-BOE",
                    "name": "eDP-1"
                    },
                    "mode": {
                    "refresh": 59.95600128173828,
                    "size": {
                    "height": 1800,
                    "width": 3200
                    }
                    },
                    "overscan": 0,
                    "pos": {
                    "x": 2560,
                    "y": 0
                    },
                    "priority": 1,
                    "rgbrange": 0,
                    "rotation": 1,
                    "scale": 1,
                    "vrrpolicy": 0
                    },
                    {
                    "enabled": true,
                    "id": "d0f6d790d615cc7af4e8ff4d61f68f09",
                    "metadata": {
                    "fullname": "xrandr-LG Electronics-LG Ultra HD-128915",
                    "name": "DP-2"
                    },
                    "mode": {
                    "refresh": 59.939998626708984,
                    "size": {
                    "height": 480,
                    "width": 640
                    }
                    },
                    "overscan": 0,
                    "pos": {
                    "x": 0,
                    "y": 360
                    },
                    "priority": 2,
                    "rgbrange": 0,
                    "rotation": 1,
                    "scale": 1,
                    "vrrpolicy": 0
                    }
                    ]
                    In the above kcreen output, you will find that the primary monitor resolution is wrong at 3200x1800 instead of 3840x2160. . So this problem is related to Noble not being able to handle UHD monitors. If I want to use Nodle, I disconnect my External monitor.

FIXED!!

I have now been using Noble for over 2 hours without any problem and it worked perfectly. It is a great pleasure to use.

Many thanks to the developers who worked out that the problem was with a UHD external monitor - well done!!!
                    Last edited by NoWorries; Dec 01, 2023, 11:34 PM. Reason: UHD external monitor screen size fixed

Comment

Downloaded 24.04 daily and gave it a spin Live. Everything I tried worked but only tried it briefly. Looking good to me though.
                      Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Unfortunately, today's updates resulted in my external UHD monitor (3840x2160) reverting to a 640x480 size which is totally useless. I hope the developers can get a solution which solves this problem permanently.

Comment

After 9 days of updates, I have now found that my UHD external display on longer drops into a disconnected low resolution display. All is now working as it should, and I will be using Noble with pleasure and not apprehension.

So an external display with a UHD screen is FIXED. Thank-you very much.

I have since found that the UHD external display still drops into a disconnected low resolution display. So it is definitely NOT FIXED.
                          Last edited by NoWorries; Dec 13, 2023, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Yesterday I was able to use Noble for well over an hour. I made the mistake of leaving it logged in but idle for over an hour. When I came back to Noble, I found that my external display was once again in a low resolution display and not accessible.

To speed up recovery, I had made a backup copy of noble's working kscreen file, so I booted up mantic and and over-wrote noble's kscreen.

Edit: If you do not have another operating system available, you can unplug the external display so that you can launch Dolphin and fix up kscreen.

So it looks like noble works fine if you actively use it, BUT IF YOU DON'T DO ANYTHING FOR A LONG PERIOD OF TIME, THE UHD SCREEN REVERTS TO LOW RESOLUTION. 640x480!!!
                            Last edited by NoWorries; Dec 15, 2023, 12:53 AM. Reason: Added alternative approach to fix up kscreen

Comment

Originally posted by Montmorency View Post
                              Are there more Snap apps pre-installed compared to 22.04 LTS?
                              A question I had myself, so I tried a daily live image of 24.04 today:
                              atm there are no more Snaps than in e.g. 22.04 - only Firefox is a Snap and the system/DE is more or less the same as 23.10 (with Kubuntu Backports) at this stage.
                              That lets me hope that Snaps can be removed and disabled in 24.04 as "easily" as in the Kubuntu versions before for a desktop installation.
                              Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Dec 15, 2023, 02:07 PM.
                              Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
                              Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
                              install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Working...
                              X