This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NRD Jump into Jammy Kubuntu 22.04 LTS

I have been eagerly awaiting the first iso download for 22.04. I saw one schedule which had the first iso download on the 21st October which never happened as that was only 1 week after the release of 21.01. In a way it was not surprising as following the 21.10 superb development cycle, every effort would be made by the developers to follow with an equally stable development.

I am very pleased to let you know that I have now install Jammy from: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/daily-live/current/ . It is once again at a very reliable starting point for those who want to follow the development of this next LTS.

I am looking forward to a very eventful development period by the expert and competent developers for this new distribution.

Edit:

When I did my installation, it was on my "Sacrificial Laptop", ie a 9 year old ASUS R501VM N56VM, which had Kubuntu 21.10 installed.

I found that the first release of Jammy was now available after I returned from a BBQ with friends. So I quickly made the post above to let everybody know it was now available for download and installation.

Just for the record, the starting Information Center with my Pre-released plasma ppa and updates is as shown below.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Kubuntu_22_04_1.jpg Views:	1374 Size:	46.9 KB ID:	657556
    Last edited by Snowhog; Feb 22, 2022, 09:01 AM.

I pulled a daily ISO for Jammy Jelly (22.04) but was unsuccessful in getting a functioning install. Too many points of trouble to list here and some of them might have arisen from my fumble fingers. I'll wait a little longer before testing again.

One thing I did note was that the installer, when used to adjust the partitioning of the hard drive, wants to put a a full megabyte empty "buffer" between each partition. A million here and a million there, pretty soon we're talking about a big waste of disk space.

When partitioning for the EFI (ESP), a message pops up stating the EFI needs a partition of a minimum of 35MB, BUT you better allocate MORE than 35MB because of those 1MB "buffer" spaces which appear to be automatically taken from your initial allocation. I had to use 37MB to get it to work (kinda, sorta).

[rant] No visible or stated reason for the 1MB "buffer" partitions. It appears to be pure wasted space. I could be wrong and there might be an actual use for those "tiny" buffers, but every little bit counts... [/rant]

FYI
    Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.1, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

I just hope that the disk you were using has not been made useless or that any other systems that were on it are still usable.

When I did my install, it was on my "Sacrificial Laptop" which already had 21.10 on it. So I did a "Manual" partitioning and I did not adjust any of the partitions. I just defined my /root and /home partitions as well as the efi.

I am not sure what other systems you have on the disk that you were using. When I have struck such problems in the past, I just get an iso for a previous system and install that. I then install the new system by using the "manual" approach.

Comment

Thanks NoWorries. No harm was done to my system. I reinstalled 20.04.3 and it runs fine. I then installed 21.10 over the 20.04.3. All done using the "manual" partitioning process, to preserve my /home data. All is good, even if 21.10 is a short term release and I do expect to move to 22.04 when it is formally released. I hope any (well, most) glitches have been worked out by that time. I do keep a backup on an external drive, so the risk was as minimal as I could make it. I only run Linux on my computers, all of them. No other OSs are involved.
        Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.1, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

When you tried to install 22.04, did you use the same approach that you used to successfully install 21.10?

Comment

Yes, but it triggered a series of warnings, starting with the minimum size for the EPI partition and then a warning about possible bad hard drive sectors. When I moved to 21.10, I left the newly created EPI partition in place and it worked without any warnings.

I suspect the pre-release 22.04 ISO has some problems which I don't want to take the time to debug. I blew an entire day going through the various installs and now I must catch up with my work flow missed in that day. I'll wait for a slightly more mature release of 22.04 before I try again.

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
              One thing I did note was that the installer, when used to adjust the partitioning of the hard drive, wants to put a a full megabyte empty "buffer" between each partition. A million here and a million there, pretty soon we're talking about a big waste of disk space.
              If you used btrfs, there'd be no need for lots of partitions, just two, or three if you want a swap partition. Subvolumes take over the role of partitions.

When I do test installs of new releases, I install into the same btrfs as other installs. Ubuntu installs into subvolumes called "@" and "@home", and I just have to rename them to something else to get them out of the way of another new install. It saves a lot of time and space, not juggling partitions.
              Regards, John Little

Comment

I have 2 SSD's in my laptop. sda for Windows stuff and sdb for Linux stuff. I installed Kubuntu 22.04 onto sdb2, chose UEFI boot to install on sdb1. When rebooting I found that sda1 had been selected as the boot partition instead of sdb1, like it changed after reboot. I had to edit the fstab file to switch to boot from sdb1, then did a grub-install and update-grub to boot from the installation drive. Otherwise happy so far.

Comment

Welcome cookiemuncher and congratulations on being able to overcome your UFEI problems.

This morning I found that there were a few updates related to KDE Frameworks, so that prompted me to add another ppa to my sources. For those who like to live on the edge, you could try these ppa's

Code:
                  sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/staging-plasma
                  sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/staging-frameworks
                  I find that Jammy is advancing at a great rate of knots.

Comment

I'll be looking forward to Kubuntu 22.04 LTS. Sometime around July next year when the first point release comes out
                    The next brick house on the left
                    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

It is now 5 months to go before the release of Jammy Jellyfish.

For those who have succeeded with the installation and testing of Jammy, you may have a similar summary of System Information as shown in the table below.
                      5 Months to go
                      KDE Plasma Version 5.23.3
                      KDE Frameworks Version 5.88.0
                      QT Version 5.15.2
                      Kernel Version 5.15.0-11-generic
                      I must confess that I use Pre-released and Unsupported updates. I am also using the non-standard repositories:
                      Code:
                      sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/staging-plasma
                      sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/staging-frameworks
                      sudo add-apt-repository ppa:canonical-kernel-team/unstable
                      In all areas that I use frequently, Jammy works perfectly. I am very pleased with the performance of Jammy and very grateful to the developers for the progress at this very early stage of development.

There is only one outstanding hurdle to jump over and that is the current iso files for Jammy crash when trying to install after entering all the user details. I hope it is not too long before this problem is fixed. In hindsight, I regret not keeping older Jammy iso files for doing a re-installation when needed. In my case, my Sacrificial Laptop somehow got sacrificed and I needed to do a re-installation which I cannot achieve at the moment.

Bug Report:

Looks like the problem with not being able to install Jammy from the recent iso files is also reported by other users of: Ubuntu, Budge, Kylin, MATE, Xubuntu. I had reported Jammy's failure on launchpad over a day ago, but today I got notification of it being a duplicate You can find the bug report at:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...y/+bug/1951399

Last edited by NoWorries; Nov 22, 2021, 05:01 PM. Reason: Bub Report Details

Comment

I found a new 23rd November "jammy-desktop-amd64.iso" that was 3.8G. When I used it to do an installation, it crashed after entering the user details followed by selecting Install. So I think I will have to wait longer.

Comment

It is now DEFINITELY WORTH downloading the latest Jammy Laptop. I found a new 24th November "jammy-desktop-amd64.iso" that was 3.8G. When I used it to do an installation it was totally successful on my Sacrificial Laptop.

I have installed my favourite packages and networked my Sacrificial Laptop to my other laptops. So it is great to see it working so well.

Thanks very much to all the hard work by those developers who resolved the reasons for the previous iso installations crashing.

Comment

For those interested in knowing the notification and solution to the problems with the Jammy iso's failure to install, you can see this at:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...y/+bug/1951399.

The comments were made that during this period no realistic testing of Jammy could be made from the 8th November until now.

It seems that the bug first appeared in 08-11-2021 and a solution was found in 21-11-2021 by Norbert post #26 in file `debianutils` version 5.5-1. By reverting to the previous version 4.11.2build1 he was able to get the installation to work.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
                              I found a new 23rd November "jammy-desktop-amd64.iso" that was 3.8G. When I used it to do an installation, it crashed after entering the user details followed by selecting Install. So I think I will have to wait longer.
                              That crash has been fixed now see this bug report:
                              https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...y/+bug/1951399
                              Boot Info Script

Comment

Working...
                              X