This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow!

Dual-booting and multiple OS installations isn't uncommon! This issue is going to create a lot of user angst.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post

Wow!

Dual-booting and multiple OS installations isn't uncommon! This issue is going to create a lot of user angst.
      I can say it will here. That really is a poor decision.

Comment

+++ A safe solution needs to be found for being able to choose other OS installations. Otherwise I will have to resort to the approach that I used in my previous post to restore all my OS installations.

Comment

https://github.com/rhboot/grub2/comm...e580c66f517666
          https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/GRU...rating_systems

So, it seems to me that it may be just a pass-the-buck security 'fix'
          And we are being Chicken Little crossing the road to count her eggs here, as the mailing list thread is discussion toward which method to use for this change by Grub.
          Option '0' is the easiest - just re-enable it in the config, as the default setting.

Of course it creates fun here, during the pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-release state of development at this stage of 22.04's life.

Comment

It is now 4 months before the release of Jammy Jellyfish LTS.

Up to this stage of development Jammy has had only two hitches from my perspective. The first was that some iso file dates would not boot Jammy and the second was grub 2.06-2 not coping with multiple OS installations.

Several helpful contributors to this forum have given advice to resolve these hitches. Even though this is a per-pre-pre-pre-release (many thanks claydoh), I find that I use it without apprehension for everything I do, including Presentations, in public, with LibreOffice.

Now for a list of the progress by developers since the last month. This is listed below for the items in the Info Center.
            Last Month Status 4 Month Status
            KDE Plasma Version 5.23.3 5.23.4
            KDE Frameworks Version 5.88.0 5.89
            QT Version 5.15.2 5.15.2
            Kernel Version 5.15.0-11-generic 5.15.0-13-generic
            This list doesn't include the many applications which have been upgraded. For example, Kdenlive and Dolphin are both at versions 21.12.0 as well as others.

I must confess that when I was faced with Jammy hitches, I de-selected Pre-released and Unsupported updates. I now have reversed this decision and I am also using the non-standard repositories:

Code:
            sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/staging-plasma
            sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/staging-frameworks
            sudo add-apt-repository ppa:canonical-kernel-team/unstable
            As stated above, I find that, for me, Jammy is very reliable. The developers have done a great job and I like the evolutionary approach to development as this minimises any stumbling blocks.
            Last edited by Snowhog; Dec 21, 2021, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Yeah, so sorry I have avoided converting to UEFI.

Please Read Me

Comment

Plasma 5.24 Beta (5.23.90) should now be in Jammy
                On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Yes, I indeed now have had it installed for over a couple of days now using
                  Code:
                  Initially, it was a bit of a "shock" as I was faced with a black screen on reboot. I was able to fix it by installing plasma desktop and some related packages. I also had to use System Settings to define the Login Screen as I was presented with a totally white screen. Also, Discover does not work on both systems that I have Jammy installed on.

This morning I got an update to LibreOffice 7.3.0.2 and LibreOffice Impress failed to deal with videos. As I dearly wanted to use Jammy for a presentation, I purged LibreOffice and disabled the pre-released updates option and then installed LibreOffice 7.2. I found all was well and I could use Jammy. When I returned home, I then re-enabled pre-released updates and it worked perfectly with videos. I think that I had old files on my system from previous version and purging LibreOffice fixed the problem and LibreOffice 7.3 is now working like a charm and I am very happy with it.

So Jammy is making great progress, but sometimes it is necessary for me to correct problems of my own making. Thanks once again to all those involved in the development of the outstanding package.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
                    I also had to use System Settings to define the Login Screen as I was presented with a totally white screen. Also, Discover does not work on both systems that I have Jammy installed on.
                    The white login screen is now fixed via applying an upstream patch. People should not get that any more.

Discover not starting is probably this bug: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=448460
                    On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
                      ... LibreOffice Impress failed to deal with videos...
                      I've had a somewhat similar situation with a LibreOffice problem. I found that using an AppImage was a timely workaround.
                      Regards, John Little

Comment

For some time now I had problems with LibreOffice not correctly locating the video image in the control screen. It was always offset slightly to the lower right. After doing the totally purged of LibreOffice and then doing a new installation, this problem was resolved and the videos are all now correctly located in the control screen window.

Comment

Jammy Jellyfish LTS is at 3 months to Release.

Jammy is now at its half way point of development. In the past month we have all probably experienced periods with a large number of downloads which involved significant updates to KDE Plasma and KDE Frameworks. There have also been updates to many applications and I noticed there were some for Wayland.

To find out what Wayland progress has been made, I use LibreOffice Impress to give a presentation that includes videos. Previously, Impress would not show videos nor would it have a separate control and Presentation screen on Jammy. With the updates over the past month, LibreOffice now passes this test. One negative from this test is that the current time and the duration time of the presentation do not change while the video is playing. Also, it is not possible to advance to the next screen while the video is playing. These times are corrected when the video is finished. My other main limitation with Wayland is its failure to restore a previous saved session.

Given the current state of progress with Wayland, I hope it reaches the preferred option by the release of Jammy.

Now for a summary of the outstanding progress over the last month as shown by the items in the Info Center.

Last Month Status 3 Month Status
                          KDE Plasma Version 5.23.4 5.23.90
                          KDE Frameworks Version 5.89 5.90
                          QT Version 5.15.2 5.15.2
                          Kernel Version 5.15.0-13-generic 5.15.0-17-generic

The above list is based on my extra packages, which sometimes get me into trouble and they are.

Code:
                          sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/staging-frameworks
                          sudo add-apt-repository ppa:canonical-kernel-team/unstable

I do have complete confidence in the progress the developers are making to know that any problems from this package selection will be resolved. The only outstanding problem for some is that Discover does not work. Updates are always possible using either the command line or Muon.

Congratulations to all the developers on an excellent system at the half way development.
                          Last edited by NoWorries; Jan 21, 2022, 04:40 PM.

Comment

All this is interesting, but as claydoh said, this is a pre-, pre-, pre-, pre-, (etc.) release set of unstable software elements at the moment. It will become what it is supposed to be by late April; until then, I don't take it seriously except as a product in early development, when everything can and will go wrong. Thank you testers!!
                            The next brick house on the left
                            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Downloading today's build will see how it goes.
                              Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Originally posted by kc1di View Post
                                Downloading today's build will see how it goes.
                                I did a clean install a few days ago, and had 2 issues.
                                • The first was the lack of listing 'other OS's' on bootup (grub menu), but solution is up above somewhere in this thread.
                                • The second was only 2 or 3 partitions were displayed while trying to remember which partition I wanted to install on, the others being off the screen (graphics issue?)

Comment

Working...
                                X