This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to ask questions the smart way...

So after finding literally thousands of annoying posts on the Ubuntu forums (but very few here) I thought maybe some tips for posters here might help keep this forum more functional for both ends of the equation. Nothing frustrates more than needing help and getting silence or having a couple of hours to spend helping and finding no posts worthy of attention. Most of this post is plagiarized from exterm at pclinuxos forums...

Before posting a request for help:
    * Try to find an answer by searching the archives of the forum you plan to post to.
    * Try to find an answer by searching the Web.
    * Try to find an answer by reading the manual or man page.
    * Try to find an answer by reading a FAQ.
    * Try to find an answer by inspecting your log files.
    * Try to find an answer by experimentation.

When you ask your question, display the fact that you have done these things first; this will help establish that you're not being a lazy sponge and wasting people's time. Better yet, display what you have learned from doing these things. We like answering questions for people who have demonstrated they can learn from the answers.

When You Ask, choose your forum carefully:
    Be sensitive in choosing where you ask your question. You are likely to be ignored or written off, if you:
    * post your question to a forum where it's off topic
    * post a very elementary question to a forum where advanced technical questions are expected, or vice-versa
    * cross-post to too many different sections
    * post a personal e-mail to somebody who is neither an acquaintance of yours nor personally responsible for solving your problem

Use meaningful, specific subject headers:
    This may be the most important part of your post! On forums, the subject header is your golden opportunity to attract qualified experts' attention in around 50 characters or fewer. Don't waste it on babble like “Please help me” or worse “PLEASE HELP ME!!!!” Messages with subjects like that get discarded by reflex. Don't try to impress us with the depth of your anguish. Use the space for a concise description of your problem.

One good convention for subject headers, used by many tech support organizations, is “object - deviation”. The “object” part specifies what thing or group of things is having a problem, and the “deviation” part describes the deviation from expected behavior.
    * Bad: HELP! Video doesn't work properly on my laptop!
    * Better: X.org 6.8.1 mouse cursor messed up on Foomagic card
    * Best: X.org 6.8.1 mouse cursor on Foomatic DV6300 chipset is misshapen

The process of writing an “object-deviation” description will help you organize your thinking about the problem in more detail. What is affected? Just the mouse cursor or other graphics too? Is this specific to the X.org version of X? To version 6.8.1? Is this specific to Foomatic video chipsets? To model DV6300? This can help us immediately understand what it is that you are having a problem with and the problem you are having, at a glance.

Write in clear, grammatical, correctly-spelled language; Spell, punctuate, and capitalize correctly - or at least make an effort. By experience, people who are careless and sloppy writers are usually also careless and sloppy thinkers. Answering questions for careless and sloppy thinkers is not rewarding; we'd rather spend our time elsewhere. Expressing your question clearly and well is important. Misspelled and grammatically incorrect text can be difficult to read and therefore easy to ignore altogether. It doesn't have to be stiff or formal, but it has to be precise; there has to be some indication that you're thinking and paying attention.

One exception to this is if English is not your first language. In that case, you may want to begin your post by stating that fact in some way so you're forgiven if you've misspoken.

Be precise and informative about your problem;
    * Describe the symptoms of your problem or bug carefully and clearly.
    * Describe the environment in which it occurs: machine, OS, application, whatever applies
    * Describe the research you did to try and understand the problem before you asked the question.
    * Describe the diagnostic steps you took to try and pin down the problem yourself before you asked the question.
    * Describe any possibly relevant recent changes in your computer or software configuration.

Do the best you can to anticipate the questions you will be asked by a responder, and answer them in advance in your request for help. Describe the problem's raw symptoms of what goes wrong, rather than your interpretations and theories. Let them do the interpretation and diagnosis. Do state what you've attempted and why - but not untested guesses.

Begging or whining is not a substitute for doing your homework
    . Starting out with “I know I'm just a pathetic newbie loser, but...”. This is distracting and unhelpful. It's especially annoying when it's coupled with vagueness about the actual problem.

Describe the goal, not the step. If you are trying to find out how to do something (as opposed to reporting a bug), begin by describing the goal. Only then describe the particular step towards it that you are blocked on. Often, people who need technical help have a high-level goal in mind and get stuck on what they think is one particular path towards the goal. They come for help with the step, but don't realize that the path is wrong. It can take substantial effort to get past this.

* Unhelpful: How do I get the color-picker on the FooDraw program to take a hexadecimal RGB value?
    * Helpful: I'm trying to replace the color table on an image with values of my choosing. Right now the only way I can see to do this is by editing each table slot, but I can't get FooDraw's color picker to take a hexadecimal RGB value.

The second version of the question is smarter. It allows an answer that suggests a tool better suited to the task.

Work with what advice you're given.
    Nothing frustrates more than - after having spent 30 minutes researching someone else's problem - return to the post to find "Well, that seemed too hard so I re-installed." Part of the beauty of linux is you have the power to fix things. Finding a solution may not only help others in the same boat but may point to a real bug that needs to be addressed to a developer. The goal of posting in a forum should be a helpful exchange of information - not just a written notice that you had a problem. Don't be afraid to learn something new.

Be courteous. Use “Please” and “Thanks for your attention”. Make it clear you appreciate the time people spend helping you for free. Saying "Thanks in advance" on your first post is not a good substitute for a real "Thank you" after your issue has been resolved. This is less important than having the technical parts of your question done well, but politeness does increase your chances of getting a useful answer and "Thank you" tells us our time answering you was well spent.

Follow up with a brief note on the solution. Send a note after the problem has been solved to all who helped you; let them know how it came out and thank them again for their help. If the problem attracted general interest in a mailing list or newsgroup, it's appropriate to post the follow up there too. Your follow up doesn't have to be long and involved; a simple “Howdy — it was a failed network cable! Thanks, everyone. - Bill” would be better than nothing. In fact, a short and sweet summary is better than a long dissertation unless the solution has real technical depth. Say what action solved the problem, but you need not replay the whole troubleshooting sequence.

Once your issue is resolved, add ‘FIXED’, ‘RESOLVED’ or 'SOLVED' to the subject line. A potential respondent who sees a thread about “Problem X” ending with “Problem X - FIXED” knows not to waste his/her time even reading the thread (unless they personally finds Problem X interesting) and can therefore use that time solving a different problem. Additionally, this will indicate to someone else with the same or similar issue that there may be a solution waiting for them.

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

This post is not intended as an indictment of the users here. Rather I hope to help build a more useful experience for all of us. I welcome retorts or discussions about points within this post...

Regards

Please Read Me

Re: How to ask questions the smart way...

That's good -- thanks! I would offer this -- probably >80% of all problems can be diagnosed and solved with an intelligent Google search. By "intelligent", I mean:

1. Get some error output from your system by running your problem command or package in a Konsole window, and capturing the output, or else review the relevant log files in /var/log and find the (EE) lines in the report.

2. Use the Konsole error output, or log file (EE) error message, to construct a Google search and/or a forum search.

3. Read the links that Google provides, in light of what you know about your system and configuration, and see whether reported solutions will fix your problem.

Here is a perfect example from today's forum posts.

Comment

Nice post, "ocean lover"

As a former PCLinuxOS user and forum member I recall reading exterm's post.

The only fly in that ointment, which I've encountered from helping my 6o+ year old dependents, is that even IF they knew how to properly Google for help, which most don't, most do not have the technical expertise to understand or apply many of the posts they find in their Google searches. We are talking about people who cannot separate the functions of an application with those of a desktop... who can't equate "File --> Quit" with clicking the "X" in the upper right corner of the application. Yesterday I was working with a fellow 1,500 miles away via Skype's "Show my screen". He was asking me questions about how to run Gmail. With his screen showing on my screen, and his screen having FireFox opened to his gmail account, I asked him to click the "x" on an opened post he was reading in order to close it. I watched as his mouse moved up to the "X" on the FireFox window. "Not there!", I said. Then I tried to explain the difference between the context of Gmail and that of FireFox. By verbally guiding his arrow I led him to closing the open email message. Had I not been watching his cursor but had been restricted to verbal commands only, I would never have seen his cursor move outside the context of gmail to the "X" on FireFox. He would have clicked that, and closed both gmail and FireFox. My next request would have been to "click on the inbox". His response where have been "Where is it?" I would have replied "on the left side of the gmail screen". His reply: "I can't find it". Sooner or later the fact that he had closed FireFox would have been revealed and we would have started all over.

Basically, what you tell someone and what they understand you to have said, and the same can be said for written messages, isn't necessarily the same. The rest of your post is pretty much dead on. However, the part about "correct grammar and spelling" can be a touchy point. Not everyone can write or spell correctly, many do not have, or know how to use if they do, spell checking, and some like to use "tweet" English because they can write faster. it's sort of like a Pidgin English:

U no wat i meen wen i rit this sintince.

Some can barely express themselves in English because it is not their native language or they were not well taught in English. (To help those in that category is motivation enough for those who can write well to use proper grammar and spell checking.)
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Right on our Main Page, the Please Read Before Posting in our Welcome announcment says almost exactly the same thing.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yeah Greygeek - I thought I remembered that handle. I did mention you get a pass if you're not a native English speaker but for me personally - I really don't take the time to read a post if it's clear the author has made no attempt to make their post readable. Using the small example you posted - it clearly requires that you slow down your reading pace in order to decipher what is said. I just think that if the poster is asking me to help them - it's not too much to ask for them to allow firefox to fix their spelling! But that's just me

The rest of your post is food-for-thought. I like that they have a Help the new Guy section here. That way when I go there to read I expect less. I did really like the way the pclinuxos forums were organized and it seemed most people - even the noobs - at least tried to have useful info in their posts.

dibl - you're totally right. I think most beginning users (usually they have left windows to try linux) don't even realize that there is tons of information available at their fingertips is the /var/log directory. They're used to clicking until they get the blue screen of death and then rebooting! I am a child of DOS3.2 so digging into the directory structure is not scary to me.

Maybe some Tips postings about collecting this information would be helpful

snowhog - Clearly, I am too experienced to have read that! Oops BUSTED! :-X

It is a good starting point - although I suspect (like me ) many users pass that by. It was amazing to me how many really useless posts there were over at the main Ubuntu forums. I'm just glad I found this one. I'll add the link to that post to my sig.

Please Read Me

Comment

Pardon my manners, "Ocean Lover", I forgot to welcome you to this forum!

I LOVED PCLinuxOS, and its forum was great, but I love KDE4 more. That's why I moved here.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

KDE4 and 64 bit cpu for me

Please Read Me

Comment

Hmmm. An exercise in artificial intelligence, trying to program the decision-making process for posting a question to receive good help? Good luck with this.

Case in point: the OP. You didn't search the forum for Snowhog's link. Your post, while well-intended, is largely repetitious. (Just trying to be information-efficient here ... ).

Actually, I don't care so much about such efficiencies.

When dealing with human beings, of all ages and from all walks of life and all parts of the planet, you gotta learn to roll with the punches--just as some of "them" learn to put up with the Western obsession with everything you listed in your checklist and our haughty attitudes about proper form and presentation.

Though I'm a self-declared aficionado of spelling and grammar, I can think of nothing less relevant to seeking help or participating productively as a helper in our Kubuntu forum.

Back to the human factor, when someone has a problem, what often happens is similar to what happens when they seek medical advice for a health problem or mechanical advice for an automotive problem, and we all do it at one time or another or to some degree: You panic! You scramble, you may not be calm and thinking clearly, you may not take time to organize your strategy, and you POST the d*d question.

But, back to topic, I suppose there's nothing wrong discussing ideal, theoretical standards for posting questions.

Welcome to Kubuntu.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

One thing to keep in mind is that while many most questions are ones Linux veterans have seen before, to a newbie his/her question is brand new. Dibl's "20 Questions" link is nice, but sometimes you have to go through an explanation you've been through a dozen times before... with patience., because previous responses or template answers don't necessarily work exactly right in every situation. So, many replies are polished, smooth and minimal .... and often in need of embellishment for the particular situation. Above many things, it is the PATIENTS that many responders demonstrate on this forum that makes it so great.

And, RTFM replies are a waste of time for everyone and, thankfully, we rarely see that kind of reply on this forum.

Comment

My own post in the Useful Tips for newbies thread was intended in a similar spirit. The Welcome newbies! link in my signature points to it.

The problem is, you can't expect newbies to read forum rules, recommendations, and FAQs before posting. Most won't, and the ones who do are the exceptions. Try to be polite and helpful anyway, because it really sucks to see someone lose the battle against their own willful ignorance.

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                    And, RTFM replies are a waste of time for everyone and, thankfully, we rarely see that kind of reply on this forum.
                    Here's the other problem. Generally speaking, a flat RTFM response is not helpful, so I do agree we should try to do better than that. However, at some point the help requester is going to have to read something. Seriously, I sometimes marvel at the mental convolutions some people will go through just to avoid reading documentation.

It is sad, because there are some topics which just can't be explained in a simple forum post. For example, we get a lot of questions related to Samba, and to networking in general. Trying to solve them is nerve wracking because most people don't understand the fundamental basics of networking, and many of them don't want to learn it. Except in the most trivial problem cases, solutions to such problems can't be found by blind luck. Trying to write a one size fits all solution for networking is damn near impossible.
                    Welcome newbies!
                    Verify the ISO
                    Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Ultimately: most people aren't good problem solvers. Reasoned thinking and step-by-step solution processes aren't taught in American schools.

Networking is a good example: checking cable, then each NIC, then dhcp, then host configuration, then samba/nfs configuration, then access permission, then... you get the point. Most people can't even figure where to start, much less what to do to fix something.

I was a programmer in the card-punching days so you had to be able to think in steps. I guess being able to problem solve made me a good Air traffic Controller - now retired!

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr

Reasoned thinking and step-by-step solution processes aren't taught in American schools.
                        That is too, too true! The lack of critical thinking skills in this country is appalling -- I can't get through 15 minutes of CNN without hearing some goofy "the weatherman predicted snow yesterday, but it's raining today so he is therefore a liar" kind of pronouncement. Or these false dichotomies that plague the political and economic discussions, as though all challenges in life can be reduced to a binary choice. It's beyond pathetic.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                          Or these false dichotomies that plague the political and economic discussions, as though all challenges in life can be reduced to a binary choice....
                          That's why "Fuzzy Logic" was introduced into programming!

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                            That's why "Fuzzy Logic" was introduced into programming!
                            I think I will add that term to my oxymoron list...

Please Read Me

Comment

Actually, Fuzzy Logic is an entire paradigm invented in 1965 and has found its way into many uses:

Fuzzy logic is used in the operation or programming of:

* Air conditioners
                              * Automobile and such vehicle subsystems as automatic transmissions, ABS and cruise control
                              * Tokyo monorail
                              * Cameras
                              * Digital image processing, such as edge detection
                              * Dishwashers
                              * Elevators
                              * Some microcontrollers and microprocessors (e.g. Freescale 68HC12)
                              * Hydrometeor classification algorithms for polarimetric weather radar
                              * Language filters on message boards and chat rooms for filtering out offensive text
                              * The Massive engine used in the Lord of the Rings films, which allowed large-scale armies to enact random yet orderly movements
                              * Mineral Deposit estimation
                              * Pattern recognition in Remote Sensing
                              * Rice cookers
                              * Video game artificial intelligence
                              * Home appliances (e.g. washing machine)

Comment

Working...
                              X