• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by verndog View Post
    That crash has been fixed now...
    Indeed, I've done a Jammy install.

Regards, John Little

Comment

Attempting now, still no zfs install option I noticed.

Update:

Plasma integration with firefox is broken in the snap but not in the apt install version probably because the snap creates the .mozilla folder somewhere weird and isolated.

This also breaks things like say, libreoffice using ff or thunderbird as a cert manager. Another reason snaps annoy me.
      Last edited by Notsonoble; Nov 29, 2021, 01:39 PM.

Comment

And that's the biggest fault with individual snaps. Yes, they are containers, but they would be more useful, and probably secure, as integrated containers such that related software products are packaged together. Security/hardening is a real benefit of containerizing, but neither snaps nor flats do that particularly well.
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Sorry that you are having problems related to snap. I have just checked the snap packages that I have on my Laptops and they are listed in the graphic below:

Click image for larger version  Name:	snap.jpg Views:	0 Size:	43.0 KB ID:	658553
          Last edited by NoWorries; Nov 29, 2021, 07:01 PM.

Comment

I had the same issue with Ubuntu Server 22.04 iso. I had to go back several releases until I found one where the installer worked.

Please Read Me

Comment

Anyone know what this means? Downloaded the latest release of Kubuntu 22.04 and that is what I get when attempting to boot into it .
              incompatible license
              Aborted. Press any key to exit.

Comment

Did you verify the checksum on the downloaded ISO before burning it to your bootable media?
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I'm "doing the deed" and am in the processes of upgrading from 21.10 to 22.04 on my laptop as I type.

Comment

Rebooted and running Jammy Desktop.

Comment

Just upgraded to Jammy 22.04 LTS. So far, no problems and it looks nice. Downloaded .iso to USB stick, booted from USB and added my wireless connections (OK). Install took about 25 minutes with updates. Now I'm cleaning up my desktop to include many tools that were not automatically found by the install utility.
                      Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.7, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                        Did you verify the checksum on the downloaded ISO before burning it to your bootable media?
                        From the site:
                        949685f6d26fb90ebd00d2f1ab0ff509fbc78e38012eebb51c 237eb2d9668517 *jammy-desktop-amd64.iso

~/Downloads$ sha256sum jammy-desktop-amd64.iso
                        949685f6d26fb90ebd00d2f1ab0ff509fbc78e38012eebb51c 237eb2d9668517 jammy-desktop-amd64.iso

Download checks out OK. I'll try again with the today's release when it appears.

Comment

Just over a day ago, I updated my Kubuntu 22.04 installations on my HP Laptop and then on my ASUS Laptop. My ASUS failed to boot past a message saying that I had to load the kernel first. My HP which has Windows 10, Kubuntu 22.04 and Kubuntu 21.10 on it, only booted up Kubuntu 22.04 and there was no indication of any other partitions even after installing grub-customizer.

To get my systems back again, I downloaded Kubuntu 22.04, 9th December, and created a USB installation disk. This failed to start on my ASUS and left me with a blue screen of death!!!

So I got an ISO dated 24 November and that successfully did the installation on my ASUS. After doing the backlog of packages to install, I then selected the pre-released updates for installation. After completing the updates, I was once again faced with a system that would not boot because the kernel needed to be loaded. I repeated the installation, but this time I did not select the pre-released updates and I had a workable system on my ASUS.

I then went back to my HP Laptop and used my Kubuntu 21.10 USB to install Kubuntu 21.10. I then used grub-customizer to define the startup screen for the selection of Kubuntu 21.10, Kubuntu 22.04 and Windows 10 as all these systems were still on my HP disk. So I go my system back.

I then went back to Kubuntu 22.04 on my HP Laptop and found the version of grub that I suspected was causing all my problems. It was version 2.06-2ubuntu2.

The following day I found that the Kubuntu 22.04 ISO for the 10th December gave a USB that worked for installing Kubuntu 22.04. So I had another go at installing Kubuntu 22.04 on my ASUS. Once again, after updating with the pre-released updates, I got a system that would not boot because the kernel was not loaded.

As I am not familiar with Grub functions and let alone editing grub, I decided to re-install Kubuntu 22.04, but this time I used Muon to lock all packages starting with "grub". The locked versions on my ASUS are 2.04-1ubuntu48. After doing all the pre-released updates on my ASUS system, it now works like a charm. It is worth noting that there are 48 updates to grub 2.04, whereas there are only 2 for grub 2.06.

So if you are having boot problems with a Kubuntu 22.04 installation, your problems may be resolved by locking grub before doing updates.

Comment

grub issues...

I suppose if you want to test the full stack from iso to installed system, you test all the bits, including grub.

But, grub always screws up for me, too often sooner rather than later, so I try not to install grub or other boot-loader as part of an OS install. I use an existing grub set up, independent of any OS install, living in its own btrfs subvolume, to boot my test jammy installs. For the debian-derived installs that I keep for a while, I uninstall grub-efi-amd64 and, if I need grub stuff, install grub-efi-amd64-bin instead, which "will not automatically install GRUB as the active boot loader nor automatically update grub.cfg on upgrade".
                            Regards, John Little

Comment

I am beginning to wonder if the developers are being affected by Covid-19 as the latest updates to grub left me with one operating system Kubuntu 22.04. Kubuntu 21.10 and Windows 10 were not listed.

To avoid re-installing either versions of Kubuntu, I decided to look into Grub. I edited /etc/default/grub and added the line
                              Code:
                              GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false
                              I made sure that os-prober was installed and I followed this by
                              Code:
                              sudo update-grub
                              This did not solve my problem other than giving two identical systems with Windows 10.

To make sure that I had all systems detected I ran
                              Code:
                              sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
                              Once again I had two identical Kubuntu systems as well as Windows. This time I decided to expand the Advanced options under 21.10 and selected the top entry. This gave me Kubuntu 21.10 and I then used grub customizer to re-instate my boot options and I am now back to normal with grub 2.06-2 installed on Kubuntu 22.04.

At least, if I get another grub update which reduces my system to one operating system, I now know how to deal with it.

Comment

See: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...er/041769.html
                                On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Working...
                                X