X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use grub-customizer to sort out the different operating systems that I have. Grub-customizer lists the operating systems that you have and you can change the order that they are listed in the boot menu it creates. When making changes are finished, they must me Saved and then installed to MBR. If you want to add a background image, it must be a png format. You can find guides on the internet and one that I found is at: https://mashtips.com/edit-grub-with-grub-customizer/.

When I do an installation of a new distribution, I will do it on an existing older system. In the installation process, I select the manual option for defining the disk partitions and make sure that the /home and /root partitions are defined correctly.

I hope this gives you some control over selecting your system of choice.
    Last edited by NoWorries; Jan 29, 2022, 03:56 AM.

Comment

While it has previously been commented that Jammy is a pre-, pre-, pre-, pre-, (etc) release, I still use it all the time and find it to be a B... good system. This reflects the excellent progress by the developers. At least any problems that occur do not stop it from working but ways can be found to work around them, eg Discover.

I decided to demonstrate the success of my Jammy Laptop with an AMD graphics card using Wayland in a recent LibreOffice Presentation which included still images and movies. This was a resounding success and was appreciated by all who saw it.

I have two Laptops with Jammy installed. The other one has a NVIDIA video card which I have not had any success with Wayland as it does not detect the external monitor. I think that this is a NVIDIA problem.

While I had success with Wayland on my AMD Graphics card Laptop, it is still needs further improvement particularly for UHD monitors. I found that I could not get the menu items, bookmarks, folders etc on Firefox and Thunderbird to a comfortable size. I have used System Settings > Display and Monitor to scale my displays by 150% and 175%. I have also used Appearance > Fonts to Force font DPI to 180.

As well as the above changes, I also had to add more Wayland packages to successfully show videos without them being jerky. I eventually found the packages that worked for me, however, I needed to reboot to get them to work. I am sure that as Wayland continues to develop over the coming months, these problems will be resolved. So if you don’t have an NVIDIA video card, Wayland will be usable by the release date.
      Last edited by NoWorries; Jan 30, 2022, 10:04 PM.

Comment

I can't speak for anyone else, but my comment WRT pre, pre, pre, etc. was only that Jammy is still in development. While it may be in a very good place in the process, it is not yet done, and I'm sure many good things will happen between now and late April. Also, many more good things will happen by late July with the first "dot" release, which is likely when I do a fresh install. I have done some programming in my IT life, but that has only made me more appreciative of those who do it for a living - and the art of patience with process.
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/jammy...schedule/23906

The best, and most useful time to jump in and try a *buntu pre-release is after Feature Freeze. Beforehand, in my long experience, as well as imnsho, there is too much chaos in the underlying OS on top of any desktop level updates to make reporting issues and hiccups pretty much useless until somewhere around the official Feature Freeze point.

And don't get me wrong, I am not saying that running a pre-pre-pre-pre relase is not fun or interesting at all. I did this as my daily driver OS for many years

Comment

And don't get me wrong, I am not saying that running a pre-pre-pre-pre release is not fun or interesting at all. I did this as my daily driver OS for many years
            Hi claydoh, I agree that there is fun and interest in the current development. For example a "Discover" update came in today and for those who like to use Discover instead of Muon or the command line, you should be very pleased with this update.

Just for the heck of it, I decided to use glmark2 to test the graphic speed of Jammy-Wayland, Jammy-X11 and Impish.

For Jammy Wayland I get:
            ==================================================
            glmark2 Score: 4582

For Jammy-X11 I get:
            glmark2 Score: 1996

For Impish (Kubuntu 21.10) I get:
            glmark2 Score: 2662

Jammy Wayland is over two times faster than Jammy-X11 and I was quite surprised how well Impish performed and it is faster than Jammy-X11. This speed difference is why I always boot up with Jammy Wayland since I got it working to my satisfaction.
            Last edited by NoWorries; Jan 30, 2022, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kc1di View Post
              Downloading today's build will see how it goes.
              Wouldn't boot in live mode so will try again later.
              Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Originally posted by kc1di View Post
                Wouldn't boot in live mode so will try again later.
                So pleased that you are trying to get it working for you.

When you say it is not booting, does it proceed to the login screen? If so, is the problem after the login screen or are you not even getting a login screen?

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
                  So pleased that you are trying to get it working for you.

When you say it is not booting, does it proceed to the login screen? If so, is the problem after the login screen or are you not even getting a login screen?
                  It did not get as far as the login screen. I've been very busy the last week or so. So have not tried again, but will try a new daily build in the next few days.

Comment

Downloaded today's daily build and it works fine. Wish the devs would put the option back in Trackpad setting to disable when mouse in plugged in other than that I like it.

Comment

I'm running 22.04 on my HP laptop, and when I plug my USB mouse in, the touchpad is disabled.

See if you have xserver-xorg-input-synaptics installed.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                        I'm running 22.04 on my HP laptop, and when I plug my USB mouse in, the touchpad is disabled.

See if you have xserver-xorg-input-synaptics installed.
                        Thanks will try that.

Comment

I installed xserver-xorg-input-synaptics but it made no difference. trackpad still operational with mouse plugged in.

Comment

Trackpad. External? Not a touchpad? Sorry, but your PC, is it a laptop or desktop?

Comment

Laptop Lenovo t450 yes it's touchpad sorry for the confusion.
                              Last edited by kc1di; Feb 02, 2022, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Have you checked for installable hardware drivers? System Settings > Driver Manager

Comment

Working...
                                X