This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
    I'm laughing with you. Bleeding edge 'users'.
    cant keep my fingers off the keys and out of the system ,,,,,,,,,,LOL

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

When I decide to try something 'major', I make a clone of my partitions first. So much easier to restore what you 'had'!
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        When I decide to try something 'major', I make a clone of my partitions first. So much easier to restore what you 'had'!
        that is a good point ,,,,,,,,I have never done that .

what do you use ,,, "dd" ?

VINNY
        16GB RAM

Comment

Clonezilla. It hasn't failed me yet.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

well I I just tested the low latency kernel ,,,,,,,with a avconv x11grab with sound (internal sound card) on a amazon prime video playing full screen ,,,,,,,,,,,,, last time on a stock kernel their was a noticeable lag in audio ,,,, this time ,,,,,perfect.

Muahaha

now we will se if their is any difference in quality of DeVeDe project or not ,,,,,,,not that thay have ever been bad ,,,,,just a wandering .

VINNY
            16GB RAM

Comment

Use btrfs and snapshots. Just roll back...

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                what do you use ,,, "dd" ?
                Btrfs snapshots would be the ideal mechanism here. Take a snapshot, make your changes, watch them fail, revert to your snapshot. I bet Oshun could go on and on and on and on here

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                  Btrfs snapshots would be the ideal mechanism here. Take a snapshot, make your changes, watch them fail, revert to your snapshot. I bet Oshun could go on and on and on and on here
                  yes it would ,,,,,BUT I have not installed anything to the btrfs drive as yet ,,,,,,,,,,,,unless your saying I could take a btrfs snapshot of a ext4 partition
                  '
                  VINNY
                  16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                    unless your saying I could take a btrfs snapshot of a ext4 partition
                    I doubt that's possible

If you had used Btrfs rather than EXT4, then it would have been very easy to prepare for an experiment -- snapshots are cleaner than cloning a drive, especially if the experiment failed. With snapshots, you can roll back to the system state before the experiment. With clones, you'd have to restore the clone to your primary drive.

Comment

You can convert you EXT4 partition to btrfs.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                        You can convert you EXT4 partition to btrfs.
                        Yep, that's definitely the case...Vinny has even reported that here before.

But a Btrfs snapshot of an EXT4 partition? Not likely

Comment

I doubt that's possible

If you had used Btrfs rather than EXT4, then it would have been very easy to prepare for an experiment -- snapshots are cleaner than cloning a drive, especially if the experiment failed. With snapshots, you can roll back to the system state before the experiment. With clones, you'd have to restore the clone to your primary drive.
                          Did you say "experiment" ,,,,,, my inner geek is getting exited .

Plan > do install to the btrfs drive > take snapshot > from in install on btrfs drive do "sudo rm -rf /bin" (DO NOT DO THIS YOU WILL BE HOSED) then roll back the snapshot and see if we are good.

I did accidentally do that one time (no sudo ,,,it was Slackware and I was root) at first I thought it didn't do anything (maby I didn't really hit the enter key ) the screen was still their ,,,,the cursor moved ,,,,,,but nothing would take a click or run .
                          luckily I had a duplicate install and just copied /bin back and all was good .

VINNY
                          16GB RAM

Comment

Eager to read the results of your experiment!

Comment

prob. wont happen till sat. night ......but it will happen

VINNY
                              16GB RAM

Comment

step 1 complete .............. installed Netrunner-15-Prometheus to the btrfs drive and it's grub to the partition IE: btrfs drive is /dev/sdb1 and grub installed to /dev/sdb1 however none of the other installs grubs OS-probers would find it .

So did an edit of /etc/grub.d/40_custom on the 14.04 install and added
                                Code:
                                menuentry "Netrunner" {
                                insmod gzio
                                insmod part_gpt
                                insmod part_gpt
                                insmod btrfs
                                set root='(hd1,gpt1)'
                                configfile /@/boot/grub/grub.cfg
                                }
                                a "sudo update-grub" reboot now I am in .................................................. ..........

Code:
                                vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ findmnt
                                TARGET                       SOURCE      FSTYPE      OPTIONS
                                /                            /dev/sdb1[/@]
                                                                         btrfs       rw,relatime,space_cache
                                ├─/sys                       sysfs       sysfs       rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime
                                │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup           none        tmpfs       rw,relatime,size=4k,mode=755
                                │ │ └─/sys/fs/cgroup/systemd systemd     cgroup      rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,release_agent=/run/cgmanager/
                                │ ├─/sys/fs/fuse/connections none        fusectl     rw,relatime
                                │ ├─/sys/kernel/debug        none        debugfs     rw,relatime
                                │ ├─/sys/kernel/security     none        securityfs  rw,relatime
                                │ └─/sys/fs/pstore           none        pstore      rw,relatime
                                ├─/proc                      proc        proc        rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime
                                │ └─/proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc binfmt_misc rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime
                                ├─/dev                       udev        devtmpfs    rw,relatime,size=8173872k,nr_inodes=2043468,mode=755
                                │ └─/dev/pts                 devpts      devpts      rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000
                                ├─/run                       tmpfs       tmpfs       rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,size=1638328k,mode=755
                                │ ├─/run/lock                none        tmpfs       rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=5120k
                                │ ├─/run/shm                 none        tmpfs       rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime
                                │ └─/run/user                none        tmpfs       rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=102400k,mode=755
                                └─/home                      /dev/sdb1[/@home]
                                                                         btrfs       rw,relatime,space_cache
                                ya tree view @hear

but the install allso left these 2 hear in red

Code:
                                vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:/mnt/btrfs$ ls
                                @  @data  @home  kubuntu  [COLOR=#ff0000]ubiquity-apt-clone  var[/COLOR]
                                the ubiquity-apt-clone contanes
                                Code:
                                vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:/mnt/btrfs/ubiquity-apt-clone$ ls
                                apt-clone-state-netrunner.tar.gz
                                and the /var contans /lib that is empty ??

well hear is what we are going to kill ,,,,,,and then try to revive with a snapshot ,,,,,,,,,, getting late @hear so the beheading will be postponed till tomorrow or so ........ I await suggestions on how to proceed .

VINNY
                                16GB RAM

Comment

Working...
                                X