Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well just did my first .avi to DVD with the new box ,,,,,using DeVeDe on duel pass ...... 38min

this same operation on the desk top dual-core Pentium @ 3.20GHz takes about 1Hr30Mn

this thing barley notices flash video or netflix where the HP-G62 would be near a thermal shutdown after 10Mn

maby tomorrow I'll try the HDMI out and see how that goes

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

You're killing me, Vinny, you're killing me!
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

O ,,,,,,,nice

I just plugged a HDMI cord from the VIZIO TV to the Bonox8 and the TV was instantly detected and activated ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, nice

VINNY
        16GB RAM

Comment

Nice Vinny! Very Nice!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
            O ,,,,,,,nice

I just plugged a HDMI cord from the VIZIO TV to the Bonox8 and the TV was instantly detected and activated ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, nice

VINNY
            And it switched the sound to the TV as well?
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

yes ,,,,,yes it did the sound that is ....

just DL'd "Star Conflict" through Steam ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, it is playing just swell ........ great graphics ,,,,,,Nvidia X Server Settings telling just 8% GPU utilization and just 9% of the RAM ,,,,,,,no heating no slowing down of the system ,,,,,,, liking it ,,,,yes I am .

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

even the speakers are killer on this thing , for a laptop , ,,,,,,,,,,, it's got to be the loudest best sounding laptop I have heard ,,,,, I guess that little sub woofer in the bottom helps it to sound less ,,,,,,tinny,,, like to much treble .

the wife just asked me to turn it down ,,,,,,, and shes in the kitchen

VINNY
                16GB RAM

Comment

You'll have to get a pair of high quality stereo headphones for that box to keep your wife happy!

Comment

So ,,,,We had a minor freak out today when I installed the google voice&video chat plug in .

it refused to see my web cam (built in) ,,,,,,, I installed kamoso , cheese , some v4l stuff ,,,,,,,, and still nothing worked.

it appears their is a Fn key that enables/disables the cam (F10 @hear little icon of a camera on the key) and by default it is off .

pressing F10 and then restarting the app (any of them) and it works just fine .

just reporting encase anyone elce has had this freak out .........

VINNY
                    16GB RAM

Comment

well ..... I am getting some screen taring on video playback (not real bad , but it's their) , youtube , or on disk .avi ,ect ,ect

I have never used an Nvidia card before so any thoughts would be welcome.

at present I have the nvidia linux driver 331.38 from the system76 PPA .... on a GTX 860M with 4GB built in RAM .
                      I have not used the nvidia-x-server-settings application to write a xorg.config yet ......(should I) ,,,, should I try a newer ver of the driver from the nvidia site ,,,,,,,the ubuntu nvidia driver ??

any ideas welcome

VINNY

EDIT: OK so this is not happening on the Ubuntu partition ,,,,,,, their I get no screen tearing ,,,, but in Ubuntu the hole sound system is not active (the sub woofer)
                      Last edited by vinnywright; Oct 22, 2014, 06:44 PM.
                      16GB RAM

Comment

I run an nVidia card and had the same issue with tearing in KDE. Ironically this tearing problem started after they added the "Tearing Prevenetion" option in the advanced tab of the desktop effects settings dialog.

The following fixed the tearing for me.

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post337735

Good luck.
                        Last edited by eggbert; Oct 22, 2014, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eggbert View Post
                          I run an nVidia card and had the same issue with tearing in KDE. Ironically this tearing problem started after they added the "Tearing Prevenetion" option in the advanced tab of the desktop effects settings dialog.

The following fixed the tearing for me.

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post337735

Good luck.
                          thanks for the pointer ,,,,,,,,,,will test it tomorrow (copying large amounts of data from the old HP to the Bonox8 at the moment so cant reboot right now )

VINNY
                          16GB RAM

Comment

creating a /etc/profile.d/kwin.sh and adding
                            Code:
                            vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ cat /etc/profile.d/kwin.sh
                             [COLOR=#ff0000]export KWIN_TRIPLE_BUFFER=1[/COLOR]
                            and a reboot

has fixed the tearing ...............for now ....we will see

O and doing a
                            Code:
                            kwin --replace&
                            then opening a video gave a warning about vsync being disabled and to use
                            Code:
                            export __GL_YIELD="USLEEP"
                            or enable triple buffering .......to get it back.
                            I tryed the triple buffering first and it works @hear

VINNY
                            16GB RAM

Comment

Whewwww I had a scare today ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,one of those , broken display driver and no GUI scares ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

it starts last night ,,,,,, I'm feeling Geeky and wanted to try a low latency kernel because I read somewhere it was good for audio/video work .

so I found the last kernel in Ubuntu mainline that was built for trusty 3.14.1-031401-lowlatency (just noticed I missed a 3.15 one further down the list)((ya I could prob. do a higher one for utopic )) installed it,,,,and that went ok

the first thing I noticed was all 8 of my cpu threads were running wide open ,,,, 2900+ MHz to 3800+ MHz it,s only suposed to be a 2.9GHz processor.

then I saw the same on the GPU even though it's set auto (in preferred mode) and runs as " adaptive" as soon as you start using/working it , it jumps straight up to max "clock" & max "memory transfer"

I dont guess it's a bad thing ,,, I saw no extra high temperatures (and with air vents on the back side of this thing you could comfortably breath through I guess not) I'm just used to seeing in "cat proc/cpuinfo" the MHz going as low as 800MHz wile idle .

Well that was last night ,,,,,,,today when I got home from work ,,,,,,I think , new kernel ,,,,,,, why not get the newest Nvidia driver to . 346.35

so I download it from nvidia ,,,,, log out , go to a TTY,,,,, stop lightdm ....... run the nvidia-XXXXx.XXXx .run all seams ok ......reboot ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,black screen .

OK dont panic (this is in 14.04 now ,my main system) I'll just go back to a TTY and run the "nividia-installer --uninstall" ....looked like it worked .

reboot ,,,,,,,,,, black screen,,,,,,,,OK now I'm panicking ,,,,,,,,lets try reinstalling the system76-driver-nvidia ,,,,,,,,,,dam no net ,,,,,,,,,luckily the desktop box that is the main TV hookup is right next to me ,,,,,out comes the wire ,,, into the Bonox8 ,,,,and we have net ,,,,,,,, time to get drastic
                              Code:
                              sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia-*
                              reboot ,,,,,,yes we have lightdm back ,,,,login and we have a GUI ,,,,,,a cr@*y 1024x768 low res ,,,,,,but a GUI ....so
                              Code:
                              sudo apt-get install system76-driver-nvidia
                              O now I am mad at myself ,,,,, the system76 nvidia driver IS the new'ish 346.35,,,,,,,,,sigh

reboot and all is well ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,UNTIL I boot back to the stock kernel and find the nvidia module is not built for this kernel any more ,,,,,muahaha ,,,,of course.

dkms to the rescue,,,,,,, build the module for the running kernel
                              Code:
                              sudo dkms build -m nvidia-346 -v 346.35
                              ,,,,,install the module
                              Code:
                              sudo dkms install -m nvidia-346 -v 346.35
                              reboot to the stock kernel (3.13.0-45-generic) ,,,,yes we are back in beautiful KDE land

A slowly calming down
                              VINNY
                              16GB RAM

Comment

I'm laughing with you. Bleeding edge 'users'.
                                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                                X