This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
    this is my heat baby .................................................. ...
    (snipped)
    VINNY
    And here was mine. The Ashley Warm Morning Automatic Model 60-D. It has a two-speed blower with thermostatic controlled damper:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Ashley C60-D.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	642483
    The thermostatically controlled air valve that supplies air to the combustion process is on the front, near the top. Air was drawn in through the valve and down beneath the grate holding up the wood. The fan drew in air, circulated it around the combustion chamber, and blew it out from underneath, into the room.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ashley C60-D interior.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	642484
    Here you can see the asbestos rope that was bonded to the door of the combustion chamber and to the door of the ash bin. The ash that came out was usually as white and powdery as talc powder.

I could put four mesquite logs about 6" in diameter by 18" long in the stove at around 11 PM and they would keep the two story house comfortable all night in the middle of January. Upstairs, where the bedrooms were, the morning temp would be 70F, and downstairs in the living room where the stove was the temp would be 65F. The valve would be wide open and the wood was reduced to a layer of red glowing charcoal about 1' wide, 18" long and an inch or two deep. Part of the incoming air was mixed with the gasses coming off of the fire and reburned. A special anti-back puff stove pipe segment was required.

I loved that stove.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Sep 26, 2014, 07:51 AM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

@GG thats a nice heater ......................

well I have gone and done it ............my new system76 Bonobo is ordered ,,,,,

now the waiting begins ............ 6-10 dayes to be built ........UPS ground ...................................

ha ha wile I was typing this a system76 person called me to thank me for the order (cool) and see if I had any questions about my new Bonobo , not 5 min after placing the order ,,,,,,

$2424.54 all sead and done ,,,,,,,,,configured as posted + a hard drive caddy case(use your own HD) for the optical drive bay + shipping

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

well I have gone and done it ............my new system76 Bonobo is ordered ,,,,,

.... $2424.54 all sead and done ,,,,,,,,,configured as posted + a hard drive caddy case(use your own HD) for the optical drive bay + shipping

VINNY
        Vinny, color me green! That machine will be as good as they get ten years from now, unless quantum computing is perfected and an affordable quantum laptop is produced, which I don't see happening in the near future, if ever.

Congrats!
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

The only problem with a true quantum PC is that it will work and it won't work, but not both at the same time. hehe (Hmm. I don't think I got that right.)
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            Vinny, color me green! That machine will be as good as they get ten years from now, unless quantum computing is perfected and an affordable quantum laptop is produced, which I don't see happening in the near future, if ever.

Congrats!
            well thank you ..........I hope it wont be getting obsolete to soon as I dont think I can replicate this type of expenditure any time soon ,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,, LOL

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
            The only problem with a true quantum PC is that it will work and it won't work, but not both at the same time. hehe (Hmm. I don't think I got that right.)
            LOL ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ya

VINNY
            16GB RAM

Comment

$2424.54 all sead and done ,,,,,,,,,configured as posted +
              VINNY
              The last you posted was like $1600 bucks......... hmmmm. Nice buy man, I can not wait to hear the results of your purchase and the following kubuntu thing.

Ahh I see now the base price was $1600, this thing is gonna fly.
              Last edited by anika200; Sep 26, 2014, 07:39 PM.

Comment

The model you're getting would be overkill for me, but I'm extremely pleased with my System76 Kudu Professional that I bought a couple months ago. So I imagine you're going to be very happy!
                Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

I wish I could be very happy!

Comment

we should see by Oct-10 ....................I will have no fingernails left by then LOL

and yes it will be over kill for me as well ..........so it should handle whatever I throw at it with ease ,,,,,and still do so for the next 5-10 years(we hope)

VINNY
                    16GB RAM

Comment

Overkill is always a good thing. I always buy in the high end and plan to keep my hardware many years. My current desktop is 5yrs old, and I'm still satisfied with it. I would do this if I had the money right now. Nice!
                      sigpic

Comment

So what's the verdict?

System 76 is going places or what?

Comment

Vinny, did you check to see if the NVidia is the primary driver, and if not can it be switched to and run natively, or would you have to use BumbleBee and its Optimus driver? (I.E., there is no bios option to make Nvidia the default drive.)

My Acer V3-771G has NVidia as a second video chip but I cannot switch to it in the bios and must use BumbleBee/Optimus if I want to run a hires graphic app using Nvidia (from a Konsole use: optimus someapp someswitches). It doesn't always work because some hires graphic apps want to write directly to video ram, it seems, and so NVidia doesn't work for them.

Luckly, my primary video device, Intel HD3000 is a medium range video chip and gives great performance on Minecraft, Portal2, CastleStory, Universe Sandbox2 and all of the Linux hires apps in the repository, like Stellarium, Flightgear, 0AD, 3D chess, billiards, LinCity, TORCS and many others.

Comment

@GG yes the Nvidia is the primary,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, no Bee's in the box ...... LOL

according to my acct. page the Bonox8 is still in the build stage ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I WANT IT NOW,,,,,,,,,, but will wate for a custom build and testing

So far the customer service at System76 is great , as I sead earlier in this thread I received a phone call from them 5-10 min after placing the order (and paying) to thank me for my purchase and see if I had any questions .

I have sense asked 2 more as text responses on my order page and both got answered within a day ,,,one in 5 min of posting it

VINNY
                            16GB RAM

Comment

Looks like they wanted ... and really appreciate ... your business, Vinny!

Comment

it shiped today ,,,,,,,Weeeeeeeee

check list ,,,,,,,,
                                extra space on computer table > check
                                new wireless mouse > check
                                new USB-3 stick with kubuntu-14.04.1 on it > check
                                empty plugin on the power strip > check
                                patience >>>>> NO

VINNY
                                16GB RAM

Comment

Working...
                                X