Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats and good luck tonight on this. I may be asleep before you decide to hang it up for the night, your new toy and all. You got it made in the shade. (Thx for your feedback on the Dell ... I only posted that to make you feel guilty about the 76 you got ...)
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
      (Thx for your feedback on the Dell ... I only posted that to make you feel guilty about the 76 you got ...)

one mite ask ,,,,,,,"well Vin" why do you need a 76 when you have a relatively nice Dell ?
      so one mite answer ,,,,,,,, well wants may be needs !!

.................................................. partitioning done .................................................. ..

Code:
      vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ sudo parted -l
      [sudo] password for vinny: 
      Model: ATA HGST HTS725050A7 (scsi)
      Disk /dev/sda: 500GB
      Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
      Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End    Size    Type      File system     Flags
       1      8225kB  323GB  323GB   primary   ext4            boot
       3      323GB   379GB  56.3GB  primary   ext4
       4      379GB   496GB  117GB   extended
       5      379GB   436GB  57.0GB  logical   ext4
       6      436GB   496GB  59.8GB  logical   ext4
       2      496GB   500GB  4295MB  primary   linux-swap(v1)

Model: ATA HGST HTS721010A9 (scsi)
      Disk /dev/sdb: 1000GB
      Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
      Partition Table: gpt

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name     Flags
       1      1049kB  1000GB  1000GB  ext4         primary
      1 is the 76 Ubuntu install
      3 is the new home of Kubuntu-14.04
      5 & 6 is yet to be decided

Humm just noticed the gpt partition table on the TB drive,,,,,,,never had one of these before ,,,,,,,,,,,more reading to do

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Not that you asked, not that you wouldn't stumble-upon-them,

Start
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table

At Arch
        https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GPT

Large drives, GPT, Linux (IBM stuff is always good):
        http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-gpt/

Linux on 4KB-sector disks (IBM again):
        http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/li...-sector-disks/

Rod Smith's GPT fdisk tutorial (it includes additional basic/intro sections on his website):
        http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/

Make you an expert in case I need help someday. I read this stuff and quickly forget it. Use it or lose it.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

... and GParted Live CD supports GPT, also. You can create a GPT disk (e.g., try it on a flash drive).

GParted enables you to easily manage your disk partitions:
          • Create partition tables, (e.g., msdos or gpt)

http://gparted.org/features.php

Comment

Hey Vinny, fire up Stellairum and tell me what FPS you get. I get 30, sometimes more. I'm running the i915 driver (nouveau) and it works pretty well on most HiRes graphics. Universe Sandbox2 gives me 60 fps max and drops to 30 or so when I have lots of objects flying around. My GTX 650M is not selectable in BIOS so I would have to use Bumblebee/Optimus to run graphical apps. It turned out that Nouveau worked just as fast as Optimus.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

@GG stellarium gives 20FPS at idle(siting still) and up to 60 zooming in and out......... this GTX 860M has 1152 cuda cores

@Qqmike thanks for the links ,,,,,,, will read up on this ,,,,,,after installing Kubuntu this evening

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

Nice screen..... congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                  @GG stellarium gives 20FPS at idle(siting still) and up to 60 zooming in and out......... this GTX 860M has 1152 cuda cores

60 FPS is the vertical sync rate, probably the max. Is your display set on "auto" or fixed at "60 Hz"?
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                    60 FPS is the vertical sync rate, probably the max. Is your display set on "auto" or fixed at "60 Hz"?
                    auto I believe

Originally posted by MoonRise View Post
                    Nice screen..... congrats!
                    ya it's kinda nice ..........

OK so kubuntu is in now , Weeee

installed to /sda3 with a USB-3 Kubuntu-14.04-Liveusb in a USB-3 port(they all are) no downloading of extra packages or updates during the install .
                    Grub installed to /sda3 so as not to mess with Ubuntu's grub.
                    It was the quickest install I have ever done ,,,,,,,,,realy not 3min after I finished the , timezone , keyboard layout , user info, part of the install it was done .
                    Restarted opend a terminal and
                    Code:
                    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
                    300+ updates later we reboot 1 more time .
                    All is well ,,,,,start playing around ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
                    Noview or whatever the default graphics driver for Nvidia is was not cutting it .
                    their was no GL and my favorite effect 3D cube was not working .
                    The "driver manager" in system settings was not offering me anything (maby the card is to new)
                    So ,,,,,, added the system76 PPA and installed
                    Code:
                    vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ apt show system76-driver-nvidia
                    Package: system76-driver-nvidia
                    Source: system76-driver
                    Priority: extra
                    Section: utils
                    Installed-Size: 36.9 kB
                    Maintainer: System76, Inc. <dev@system76.com>
                    Version: 14.04.10
                    Depends: ubuntu-drivers-common, nvidia-331-updates
                    Conflicts: nvidia-current-updates
                    Download-Size: 4,372 B
                    APT-Manual-Installed: yes
                    APT-Sources: http://ppa.launchpad.net/system76-dev/stable/ubuntu/ trusty/main amd64 Packages
                    Description: Latest nvidia driver for System76 computers
                     This dummy package depends on the latest driver tested with and recommended for
                     System76 products with an nvidia GPU.
                     When this package is installed, you will automatically be upgraded to newer
                     nvidia driver versions after System76 has thouroughly tested them.
                     This driver will generally depend on a newer nvidia driver than the official
                     nvidia-current-updates Ubuntu package.
                     If you don't want to be automatically upgraded to newer nvidia drivers, simply
                     remove this package.
                    it installed nicly and I saw dkms build it's modules ,,,,,,so I am somewhat at ease about the Nvidia thing

now off to build my system up to how I like it ..........................

☢VINNY☢
                    16GB RAM

Comment

Please show the desktop after you tweak it to your specs!

Comment

getting their .................................................. ............................

and some windows open .................................................. ....................

still need to do some more aesthetics ......hear and their and a bit of system tweaking like adding the TBdrive to fstab and moving all the home DIR's their and then linking them back but ,,,,,,,,,,,,so far so good

VINNY
                        16GB RAM

Comment

Noticed this on the Ubuntu side...

Purge the package unity-scope-home to get rid of the Canonical-Amazon spyware.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                            Noticed this on the Ubuntu side...

Purge the package unity-scope-home to get rid of the Canonical-Amazon spyware.
                            Aaaa yess ,,,,I was planing on looking up on how to remove that stuff ,,,,,,you saved me the trouble thanks .

dont know when I'll make it back to that partition ,,,, but when I do it will be the first thig I do

VINNY
                            16GB RAM

Comment

Sweet! (Now I have to wipe some drool off my keyboard!)

Comment

Don't they give sippy cups with the 4:30 PM dinner now?

BWAHAHAHA

Comment

Working...
                                X