This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System76 Bonobo Extreme

OK so a few day's from getting this thing ,,,,I think ,, but would like some input as to where to maby get similar equipment for less ,,,or if it's a good deal for the $
    hear is the config as of now

Base System $1,579.00
    Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS 64 bit
    17.3" 1080p Full High Definition Matte Display ( 1920 x 1080 )
    nVidia GeForce GTX 860M with 4 GB GDDR5 Memory and 1152 CUDA Cores
    4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4910MQ Processor ( 2.9 GHz 8MB L3 Cache - 4 Cores plus Hyperthreading ) $389.00
    16 GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 2 X 8 GB $115.00
    500 GB 7200 RPM SATA II
    1 TB 7200 RPM SATA II ($119) Save $20! $99.00
    No mSATA drive
    No mSATA drive
    United States Keyboard Layout
    8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive
    Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 AC Wireless LAN up to 433 Mbps + Bluetooth
    No Bag
    Extra 89.20 WH 8 Cell Smart Li-ION Battery $135.00
    1 Yr. Ltd. Warranty and 1 Yr. Technical Support
    well what do you all think ? worth $2375.54 with shipping

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Only from what I've read/heard, the System76 Bonobo Extreme is a good system. It's a portable replacement to a powerhouse Desktop PC. In #smxi (oftc IRC), damentz purchased this laptop as a replacement for his PC. He compiles his own kernels on this beast.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I will take that as 1 vote for ,,,,go for it vinny

VINNY
      16GB RAM

Comment

I have my eye on that system too, I would go for it if you have the cash.
        This reminds me of my decision in 2006 when I purchased a maxed out Macbook pro @ $2400, ouch. It turned out to be the best laptop and still continues to be great all these years later.

Comment

two votes for ,,,,,,,,go for it vinny.

getting itchy fingers ,,,,,,,wheres that card # ,,,,,

VINNY
          16GB RAM

Comment

I've actually been drooling over that one for some time. Just don't have the money at that moment. If I did, I'd be ordering that same one now.

Comment

Add another tally to the + column. If I could afford it that would be my next box!

You might drop it below $2k by opting out of the 2.9GHz CPU upgrade. 2.1 is probably fast enough since you're getting 16GB of RAM and your video card will have 4GB to use with its onboard processor.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

OK then ,,,,,,that’s 4 thumbs up & 0 down ,,,,,,,, I will order it tomorrow .

I would get it tonight but my debit card has a $3000.00 per day limit and I just got a $1000.00 log splitter,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I heat with wood

@GG ,,,,,WHAT give up allmost a GHz of CPU cycles .........O no ,, I'm actually considering upping to 24GB on the RAM ............... why you may ask!
                well this will prob. be the last time I have some $ to blow on a computer and I want it to be beefy enough to still be a good box 10 years from now ............high hopes I know.

I just hope the nvidia dosent give me problems..........I allways read nvidia horer storeys,,,,,,,,,,,, I am hoping I can shrink the Ubuntu partition on the 500GB drive (ya I think I'll keep the Ubuntu as well) make 2-3 more 20-30GB OS partitions install Kubuntu to one of these and get the nvidia driver from the system76 PPA to get their custom drivers ...........but what do you all think I should do about the nvidia card??

VINNY
                16GB RAM

Comment

I would keep the standard Nvidia option but ditch the 500GB drive and spend the exta $250 on an intel SSD.

Comment

Originally posted by anika200 View Post
                    I would keep the standard Nvidia option but ditch the 500GB drive and spend the exta $250 on an intel SSD.
                    the nvidia and the 500GB drive are both the default choices ......no extra $250 their.

but I will look into the SSD options (I did but will agin)

VINNY
                    16GB RAM

Comment

I have an NVidia card here and I've never had an issue with it. The only one I do is the laptop but that is only because it isn't discrete and is tied somehow or another with the on-board controler. I think bumblebee/primus was supposed to help with that but you can only use it for singular apps which to me is usless if I can't make the NVidia primary for the entire system. Again, not an NVidia issue.

Comment

@ MoonRise I think you would be good on that laptop if their is an option in the BIOS to disable the onboard graphics .

do you (on the working nvidia) use what comes with Kubuntu or use the nvidia driver from their linux web page or one from the "driver manager" in system settings ?

VINNY
                        16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                          .... I just got a $1000.00 log splitter,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I heat with wood
                          While I was teaching at Clarks HS I lived five miles outside a village of 482 people, 1/2 mile from the Platte river. The 1974 Arab oil embargo forced me to heat with wood. I used an Ashley Warm Morning wood buring stove, with themostatically controlled damper. It was reall smooth and moist heat. Very pleasant. My son and I would go twice a week to harvest dead wood out of old stands and we look back at that time with fond memories. My "splitter" was a heavy maul with four or five wedges.

@GG ,,,,,WHAT give up allmost a GHz of CPU cycles .........O no ,, I'm actually considering upping to 24GB on the RAM ............... why you may ask!
                          well this will prob. be the last time I have some $ to blow on a computer and I want it to be beefy enough to still be a good box 10 years from now ............high hopes I know.
                          Well, if you have "money to blow" that puts a whole new out look on the situation. By all means, go for the best. IF I had the cash I would!

I just hope the nvidia dosent give me problems..........I allways read nvidia horer storeys,,,,,,,,,,,, I am hoping I can shrink the Ubuntu partition on the 500GB drive (ya I think I'll keep the Ubuntu as well) make 2-3 more 20-30GB OS partitions install Kubuntu to one of these and get the nvidia driver from the system76 PPA to get their custom drivers ...........but what do you all think I should do about the nvidia card??

VINNY
                          Personally, I'd stick with the drivers that System76 supplies. I suspect that you will be able to use their unity system (my son does on his System76 Gazelle) AND install Kubuntu. If you match the kernels I's also wager you'll be able to copy the NVidia drivers over to the Kubuntu partition and use them.
                          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                            While I was teaching at Clarks HS I lived five miles outside a village of 482 people, 1/2 mile from the Platte river. The 1974 Arab oil embargo forced me to heat with wood. I used an Ashley Warm Morning wood buring stove, with themostatically controlled damper. It was reall smooth and moist heat. Very pleasant. My son and I would go twice a week to harvest dead wood out of old stands and we look back at that time with fond memories.
                            this is my heat baby .................................................. ...

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                            My "splitter" was a heavy maul with four or five wedges.
                            O I have these as well,,,,,, and they are just how I have split the wood for the past 4-5 years

this is the splitter I got .............. http://www.lowes.com/pd_594051-74081...ter&facetInfo=

VINNY
                            16GB RAM

Comment

the nvidia and the 500GB drive are both the default choices ......no extra $250 their.

but I will look into the SSD options (I did but will agin)

VINNY
                              +1 on the SSD. I splurged for one when my HD died. After getting plenty of RAM, it's the best upgrade you can do.

Comment

Working...
                              X