• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vinnywright
    replied
    Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
    Noticed this on the Ubuntu side...

Purge the package unity-scope-home to get rid of the Canonical-Amazon spyware.
    Aaaa yess ,,,,I was planing on looking up on how to remove that stuff ,,,,,,you saved me the trouble thanks .

dont know when I'll make it back to that partition ,,,, but when I do it will be the first thig I do

VINNY

Leave a comment:

• SteveRiley
    replied
    Noticed this on the Ubuntu side...

Purge the package unity-scope-home to get rid of the Canonical-Amazon spyware.

Leave a comment:

• vinnywright
    replied
    getting their .................................................. ............................

and some windows open .................................................. ....................

still need to do some more aesthetics ......hear and their and a bit of system tweaking like adding the TBdrive to fstab and moving all the home DIR's their and then linking them back but ,,,,,,,,,,,,so far so good

VINNY

Leave a comment:

• MoonRise
    replied
    Please show the desktop after you tweak it to your specs!

Leave a comment:

• vinnywright
    replied
    Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
    60 FPS is the vertical sync rate, probably the max. Is your display set on "auto" or fixed at "60 Hz"?
    auto I believe

Originally posted by MoonRise View Post
    Nice screen..... congrats!
    ya it's kinda nice ..........

OK so kubuntu is in now , Weeee

installed to /sda3 with a USB-3 Kubuntu-14.04-Liveusb in a USB-3 port(they all are) no downloading of extra packages or updates during the install .
    Grub installed to /sda3 so as not to mess with Ubuntu's grub.
    It was the quickest install I have ever done ,,,,,,,,,realy not 3min after I finished the , timezone , keyboard layout , user info, part of the install it was done .
    Restarted opend a terminal and
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    300+ updates later we reboot 1 more time .
    All is well ,,,,,start playing around ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Noview or whatever the default graphics driver for Nvidia is was not cutting it .
    their was no GL and my favorite effect 3D cube was not working .
    The "driver manager" in system settings was not offering me anything (maby the card is to new)
    So ,,,,,, added the system76 PPA and installed
    Code:
    vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ apt show system76-driver-nvidia
    Package: system76-driver-nvidia
    Source: system76-driver
    Priority: extra
    Section: utils
    Installed-Size: 36.9 kB
    Maintainer: System76, Inc. <dev@system76.com>
    Version: 14.04.10
    Depends: ubuntu-drivers-common, nvidia-331-updates
    Conflicts: nvidia-current-updates
    Download-Size: 4,372 B
    APT-Manual-Installed: yes
    APT-Sources: http://ppa.launchpad.net/system76-dev/stable/ubuntu/ trusty/main amd64 Packages
    Description: Latest nvidia driver for System76 computers
     This dummy package depends on the latest driver tested with and recommended for
     System76 products with an nvidia GPU.
     When this package is installed, you will automatically be upgraded to newer
     nvidia driver versions after System76 has thouroughly tested them.
     This driver will generally depend on a newer nvidia driver than the official
     nvidia-current-updates Ubuntu package.
     If you don't want to be automatically upgraded to newer nvidia drivers, simply
     remove this package.
    it installed nicly and I saw dkms build it's modules ,,,,,,so I am somewhat at ease about the Nvidia thing

now off to build my system up to how I like it ..........................

☢VINNY☢

Leave a comment:

• GreyGeek
    replied
    Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
    @GG stellarium gives 20FPS at idle(siting still) and up to 60 zooming in and out......... this GTX 860M has 1152 cuda cores

60 FPS is the vertical sync rate, probably the max. Is your display set on "auto" or fixed at "60 Hz"?

Leave a comment:

• MoonRise
    replied
    Nice screen..... congrats!

Leave a comment:

• vinnywright
    replied
    @GG stellarium gives 20FPS at idle(siting still) and up to 60 zooming in and out......... this GTX 860M has 1152 cuda cores

@Qqmike thanks for the links ,,,,,,, will read up on this ,,,,,,after installing Kubuntu this evening

VINNY

Leave a comment:

• GreyGeek
    replied
    Hey Vinny, fire up Stellairum and tell me what FPS you get. I get 30, sometimes more. I'm running the i915 driver (nouveau) and it works pretty well on most HiRes graphics. Universe Sandbox2 gives me 60 fps max and drops to 30 or so when I have lots of objects flying around. My GTX 650M is not selectable in BIOS so I would have to use Bumblebee/Optimus to run graphical apps. It turned out that Nouveau worked just as fast as Optimus.

Leave a comment:

• Qqmike
    replied
    ... and GParted Live CD supports GPT, also. You can create a GPT disk (e.g., try it on a flash drive).

GParted enables you to easily manage your disk partitions:
    • Create partition tables, (e.g., msdos or gpt)

http://gparted.org/features.php

Leave a comment:

• Qqmike
    replied
    Not that you asked, not that you wouldn't stumble-upon-them,

Start
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table

At Arch
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GPT

Large drives, GPT, Linux (IBM stuff is always good):
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-gpt/

Linux on 4KB-sector disks (IBM again):
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/li...-sector-disks/

Rod Smith's GPT fdisk tutorial (it includes additional basic/intro sections on his website):
    http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/

Make you an expert in case I need help someday. I read this stuff and quickly forget it. Use it or lose it.

Leave a comment:

• vinnywright
    replied
    Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
    (Thx for your feedback on the Dell ... I only posted that to make you feel guilty about the 76 you got ...)

one mite ask ,,,,,,,"well Vin" why do you need a 76 when you have a relatively nice Dell ?
    so one mite answer ,,,,,,,, well wants may be needs !!

.................................................. partitioning done .................................................. ..

Code:
    vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ sudo parted -l
    [sudo] password for vinny: 
    Model: ATA HGST HTS725050A7 (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sda: 500GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
    Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End    Size    Type      File system     Flags
     1      8225kB  323GB  323GB   primary   ext4            boot
     3      323GB   379GB  56.3GB  primary   ext4
     4      379GB   496GB  117GB   extended
     5      379GB   436GB  57.0GB  logical   ext4
     6      436GB   496GB  59.8GB  logical   ext4
     2      496GB   500GB  4295MB  primary   linux-swap(v1)

Model: ATA HGST HTS721010A9 (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sdb: 1000GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
    Partition Table: gpt

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name     Flags
     1      1049kB  1000GB  1000GB  ext4         primary
    1 is the 76 Ubuntu install
    3 is the new home of Kubuntu-14.04
    5 & 6 is yet to be decided

Humm just noticed the gpt partition table on the TB drive,,,,,,,never had one of these before ,,,,,,,,,,,more reading to do

VINNY

Leave a comment:

• Qqmike
    replied
    Congrats and good luck tonight on this. I may be asleep before you decide to hang it up for the night, your new toy and all. You got it made in the shade. (Thx for your feedback on the Dell ... I only posted that to make you feel guilty about the 76 you got ...)

Leave a comment:

• vinnywright
    replied
    third boot ,,,, once to set up Ubuntu once to fire up the Kubuntu-liveUSB and shrink the Ubuntu partition(the hole 500GB drive + 4GB-swap) and once(now) to see if Ubuntu will still boot ,,,,,,,and it dose

now to make some partitions in the new free space

VINNY

Leave a comment:

• vinnywright
    replied
    He He he ,,,,,, no I did not take off work ,,,,,,,,,and ,,,,YES it's hear. WWWwwwEEEeeeeeee.

Very nicely packaged for the trip ,,,,,Double boxed , inner box with Styrofoam inserts that held the Bonox8 in the middle .

This thing is massive , 9lb , a full 2 inches thick at the back side ,,,,,,,,and BEAUTIFUL ,,,,a full backlit keyboard with #pad and 7 back-light colours , ONKYO speakers with a small sub woofer on the under side ,,,,,, and I guess this thing needs it's power cuz ,,,, the power transformer in the cord is the size of a brick ,,,,,,no literally ,,, the size of a brick [4"x8"x1 5/8",,but to me this is OK .

their is 4" of case from the edge of the keyboard to the front of the box , so lots of palm rest area on eather side of the track pad + a finger print reader (dont have this working at the moment but 2 dayes ago found a post on the Ubuntu forum about how to enable it ,,maby)

after unpacking and running through the Ubuntu OEM set-up I looked around in the BIOS then fired up my new USB-3 Kubuntu-live-USB stick .
    It's running fine using the nouveau driver for the Nvidia GTX 860M
    at present we are shrinking the 500GB drive Ubuntu was using to free up 165GB for some Kubuntu partitions ,, yes I will Keep Ubuntu as well

this thing is nice so far,,,,, the USB is running so well it could be the installed system .

will keep this updated with how the upfiting of Kubuntu goes ,,, I plan to add the system76 PPA and use their Nvidia driver .deb at first ,,,,,,or just stick with the nouveau ,,,,well see.

VINNY

Leave a comment:

Working...
X