X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SteveRiley
    replied
    Eager to read the results of your experiment!

Leave a comment:

• vinnywright
    replied
    Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
    I doubt that's possible

If you had used Btrfs rather than EXT4, then it would have been very easy to prepare for an experiment -- snapshots are cleaner than cloning a drive, especially if the experiment failed. With snapshots, you can roll back to the system state before the experiment. With clones, you'd have to restore the clone to your primary drive.
    Did you say "experiment" ,,,,,, my inner geek is getting exited .

Plan > do install to the btrfs drive > take snapshot > from in install on btrfs drive do "sudo rm -rf /bin" (DO NOT DO THIS YOU WILL BE HOSED) then roll back the snapshot and see if we are good.

I did accidentally do that one time (no sudo ,,,it was Slackware and I was root) at first I thought it didn't do anything (maby I didn't really hit the enter key ) the screen was still their ,,,,the cursor moved ,,,,,,but nothing would take a click or run .
    luckily I had a duplicate install and just copied /bin back and all was good .

VINNY

Leave a comment:

• SteveRiley
    replied
    Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
    You can convert you EXT4 partition to btrfs.
    Yep, that's definitely the case...Vinny has even reported that here before.

But a Btrfs snapshot of an EXT4 partition? Not likely

Leave a comment:

• GreyGeek
    replied
    You can convert you EXT4 partition to btrfs.

Leave a comment:

• SteveRiley
    replied
    Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
    unless your saying I could take a btrfs snapshot of a ext4 partition
    I doubt that's possible

If you had used Btrfs rather than EXT4, then it would have been very easy to prepare for an experiment -- snapshots are cleaner than cloning a drive, especially if the experiment failed. With snapshots, you can roll back to the system state before the experiment. With clones, you'd have to restore the clone to your primary drive.

Leave a comment:

• vinnywright
    replied
    Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
    Btrfs snapshots would be the ideal mechanism here. Take a snapshot, make your changes, watch them fail, revert to your snapshot. I bet Oshun could go on and on and on and on here
    yes it would ,,,,,BUT I have not installed anything to the btrfs drive as yet ,,,,,,,,,,,,unless your saying I could take a btrfs snapshot of a ext4 partition
    '
    VINNY

Leave a comment:

• SteveRiley
    replied
    Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
    what do you use ,,, "dd" ?
    Btrfs snapshots would be the ideal mechanism here. Take a snapshot, make your changes, watch them fail, revert to your snapshot. I bet Oshun could go on and on and on and on here

Leave a comment:

• oshunluvr
    replied
    Use btrfs and snapshots. Just roll back...

Leave a comment:

• vinnywright
    replied
    well I I just tested the low latency kernel ,,,,,,,with a avconv x11grab with sound (internal sound card) on a amazon prime video playing full screen ,,,,,,,,,,,,, last time on a stock kernel their was a noticeable lag in audio ,,,, this time ,,,,,perfect.

Muahaha

now we will se if their is any difference in quality of DeVeDe project or not ,,,,,,,not that thay have ever been bad ,,,,,just a wandering .

VINNY

Leave a comment:

• Snowhog
    replied
    Clonezilla. It hasn't failed me yet.

Leave a comment:

• vinnywright
    replied
    Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
    When I decide to try something 'major', I make a clone of my partitions first. So much easier to restore what you 'had'!
    that is a good point ,,,,,,,,I have never done that .

what do you use ,,, "dd" ?

VINNY

Leave a comment:

• Snowhog
    replied
    When I decide to try something 'major', I make a clone of my partitions first. So much easier to restore what you 'had'!

Leave a comment:

• vinnywright
    replied
    Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
    I'm laughing with you. Bleeding edge 'users'.
    cant keep my fingers off the keys and out of the system ,,,,,,,,,,LOL

VINNY

Leave a comment:

• Snowhog
    replied
    I'm laughing with you. Bleeding edge 'users'.

Leave a comment:

• vinnywright
    replied
    Whewwww I had a scare today ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,one of those , broken display driver and no GUI scares ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

it starts last night ,,,,,, I'm feeling Geeky and wanted to try a low latency kernel because I read somewhere it was good for audio/video work .

so I found the last kernel in Ubuntu mainline that was built for trusty 3.14.1-031401-lowlatency (just noticed I missed a 3.15 one further down the list)((ya I could prob. do a higher one for utopic )) installed it,,,,and that went ok

the first thing I noticed was all 8 of my cpu threads were running wide open ,,,, 2900+ MHz to 3800+ MHz it,s only suposed to be a 2.9GHz processor.

then I saw the same on the GPU even though it's set auto (in preferred mode) and runs as " adaptive" as soon as you start using/working it , it jumps straight up to max "clock" & max "memory transfer"

I dont guess it's a bad thing ,,, I saw no extra high temperatures (and with air vents on the back side of this thing you could comfortably breath through I guess not) I'm just used to seeing in "cat proc/cpuinfo" the MHz going as low as 800MHz wile idle .

Well that was last night ,,,,,,,today when I got home from work ,,,,,,I think , new kernel ,,,,,,, why not get the newest Nvidia driver to . 346.35

so I download it from nvidia ,,,,, log out , go to a TTY,,,,, stop lightdm ....... run the nvidia-XXXXx.XXXx .run all seams ok ......reboot ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,black screen .

OK dont panic (this is in 14.04 now ,my main system) I'll just go back to a TTY and run the "nividia-installer --uninstall" ....looked like it worked .

reboot ,,,,,,,,,, black screen,,,,,,,,OK now I'm panicking ,,,,,,,,lets try reinstalling the system76-driver-nvidia ,,,,,,,,,,dam no net ,,,,,,,,,luckily the desktop box that is the main TV hookup is right next to me ,,,,,out comes the wire ,,, into the Bonox8 ,,,,and we have net ,,,,,,,, time to get drastic
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia-*
    reboot ,,,,,,yes we have lightdm back ,,,,login and we have a GUI ,,,,,,a cr@*y 1024x768 low res ,,,,,,but a GUI ....so
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install system76-driver-nvidia
    O now I am mad at myself ,,,,, the system76 nvidia driver IS the new'ish 346.35,,,,,,,,,sigh

reboot and all is well ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,UNTIL I boot back to the stock kernel and find the nvidia module is not built for this kernel any more ,,,,,muahaha ,,,,of course.

dkms to the rescue,,,,,,, build the module for the running kernel
    Code:
    sudo dkms build -m nvidia-346 -v 346.35
    ,,,,,install the module
    Code:
    sudo dkms install -m nvidia-346 -v 346.35
    reboot to the stock kernel (3.13.0-45-generic) ,,,,yes we are back in beautiful KDE land

A slowly calming down
    VINNY

Leave a comment:

Working...
X