and a reboot

has fixed the tearing ...............for now ....we will see

O and doing a
    Code:
    kwin --replace&
    then opening a video gave a warning about vsync being disabled and to use
    Code:
    export __GL_YIELD="USLEEP"
    or enable triple buffering .......to get it back.
    I tryed the triple buffering first and it works @hear

VINNY

Leave a comment:

• vinnywright
    replied
    Originally posted by eggbert View Post
    I run an nVidia card and had the same issue with tearing in KDE. Ironically this tearing problem started after they added the "Tearing Prevenetion" option in the advanced tab of the desktop effects settings dialog.

The following fixed the tearing for me.

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post337735

Good luck.
    thanks for the pointer ,,,,,,,,,,will test it tomorrow (copying large amounts of data from the old HP to the Bonox8 at the moment so cant reboot right now )

VINNY

Leave a comment:

• eggbert
    replied
    I run an nVidia card and had the same issue with tearing in KDE. Ironically this tearing problem started after they added the "Tearing Prevenetion" option in the advanced tab of the desktop effects settings dialog.

The following fixed the tearing for me.

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post337735

Good luck.
    Last edited by eggbert; Oct 22, 2014, 08:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• vinnywright
    replied
    well ..... I am getting some screen taring on video playback (not real bad , but it's their) , youtube , or on disk .avi ,ect ,ect

I have never used an Nvidia card before so any thoughts would be welcome.

at present I have the nvidia linux driver 331.38 from the system76 PPA .... on a GTX 860M with 4GB built in RAM .
    I have not used the nvidia-x-server-settings application to write a xorg.config yet ......(should I) ,,,, should I try a newer ver of the driver from the nvidia site ,,,,,,,the ubuntu nvidia driver ??

any ideas welcome

VINNY

EDIT: OK so this is not happening on the Ubuntu partition ,,,,,,, their I get no screen tearing ,,,, but in Ubuntu the hole sound system is not active (the sub woofer)
    Last edited by vinnywright; Oct 22, 2014, 06:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• vinnywright
    replied
    So ,,,,We had a minor freak out today when I installed the google voice&video chat plug in .

it refused to see my web cam (built in) ,,,,,,, I installed kamoso , cheese , some v4l stuff ,,,,,,,, and still nothing worked.

it appears their is a Fn key that enables/disables the cam (F10 @hear little icon of a camera on the key) and by default it is off .

pressing F10 and then restarting the app (any of them) and it works just fine .

just reporting encase anyone elce has had this freak out .........

VINNY

Leave a comment:

• GreyGeek
    replied
    You'll have to get a pair of high quality stereo headphones for that box to keep your wife happy!

Leave a comment:

• vinnywright
    replied
    even the speakers are killer on this thing , for a laptop , ,,,,,,,,,,, it's got to be the loudest best sounding laptop I have heard ,,,,, I guess that little sub woofer in the bottom helps it to sound less ,,,,,,tinny,,, like to much treble .

the wife just asked me to turn it down ,,,,,,, and shes in the kitchen

VINNY

Leave a comment:

• vinnywright
    replied
    yes ,,,,,yes it did the sound that is ....

just DL'd "Star Conflict" through Steam ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, it is playing just swell ........ great graphics ,,,,,,Nvidia X Server Settings telling just 8% GPU utilization and just 9% of the RAM ,,,,,,,no heating no slowing down of the system ,,,,,,, liking it ,,,,yes I am .

VINNY

Leave a comment:

• GreyGeek
    replied
    Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
    O ,,,,,,,nice

I just plugged a HDMI cord from the VIZIO TV to the Bonox8 and the TV was instantly detected and activated ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, nice

VINNY
    And it switched the sound to the TV as well?

Leave a comment:

• MoonRise
    replied
    Nice Vinny! Very Nice!!!!

Leave a comment:

• vinnywright
    replied
    O ,,,,,,,nice

I just plugged a HDMI cord from the VIZIO TV to the Bonox8 and the TV was instantly detected and activated ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, nice

VINNY

Leave a comment:

• GreyGeek
    replied
    You're killing me, Vinny, you're killing me!

Leave a comment:

• vinnywright
    replied
    well just did my first .avi to DVD with the new box ,,,,,using DeVeDe on duel pass ...... 38min

this same operation on the desk top dual-core Pentium @ 3.20GHz takes about 1Hr30Mn

this thing barley notices flash video or netflix where the HP-G62 would be near a thermal shutdown after 10Mn

maby tomorrow I'll try the HDMI out and see how that goes

VINNY

Leave a comment:

• SteveRiley
    replied
    Don't they give sippy cups with the 4:30 PM dinner now?

BWAHAHAHA

Leave a comment:

• GreyGeek
    replied
    Sweet! (Now I have to wipe some drool off my keyboard!)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X