• Show
Clear All

Re: No update notifications since upgrade

well THAT explains it ! 8)

Please Read Me

Comment

Hi,
      I had the same problem since I upgraded to Karmic and it was still there with Lucid. Reading this post, I've finally found a trick that worked for me. I deleted two files in the /home/[user]/.kde/share/config directory: "KPackageKit" and "KPackageKitSmartIcon.notifyrc". The I rebooted and started KPackageKit, I opened the settings window in order to recreate the "KPackageKit" file in /home/[user]/.kde/share/config directory and it finally notified 104 available upgrades!

Comment

Thanks, I will try this.

But I will ask, does it still work when you reboot? That seems to be the next problem. People come up with fixes that only work until they reboot.

-Chris

Comment

No, unfortunately after a second reboot it stopped to work. I manually downgraded a package, then rebooted, but no upgrade notification appeared...

Comment

Were you able to see what the difference is between the two versions of the files you had: the ones you need to delete, and the same ones you re-generate through KPackagekit? Are their contents the same?

I think I recall from some of these threads that perhaps a time-stamp makes the difference to KPackagekit, which might mean the contents are the same. But it would be interesting anyhow to know if their contents are different.

-Chris

Comment

Take a look in System Settings > Autostart > Service Manager > Startup Services and ensure that KPackageKit Service is checked.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I was wrong, the solution I've posted above is working for me, I only had to wait for new upgrades and KPackageKit started again to send notifications.

As far as the differences between the old files and the new ones are regarded, I have unfortunately thrown away the old files, but they where for sure different from the new ones, that contain less information.
                KPackageKit did not recreate "KPackageKitSmartIcon.notifyrc", while the content of the new "KPackageKit" file is just:

Code:
                [FilterMenu]
                ViewInGroups=false

[KpkMainUi]
                Height 1080=549
                Width 1920=799

[Transaction]
                ShowDetails=false

Comment

Good to hear. I tried it yesterday and got a message pop-up alert regarding 3 updates, though not an actual number "3" on the taskbar or something. But I will see if it appears in the next day or so again.

I think my two files are the same as yours. I saved my old ones as backups, and they too had a lot more info.

Comment

Hi
                    I've been having the same problem, today I did a search through my whole .kde directory and found two references on my computer where it's not working, and none on the computer where it's working.

On the computer where I get notifications my .kde/share/config/kdedrc just contains:

Code:
                    [$Version]
                    update_info=kded.upd:kde3.0
                    but on the computer where it's not working there were lots of contents. So I just cleared it all (after making a backup ) and it seems to have fixed the problem for me. (Rebooted and got some notifications ). I have not verified that this works more than after a reboot, but this is a huge step forward since I didn't get any notifications at all before.

Comment

Working...
                    X