X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: No update notifications since upgrade

Originally posted by Vistaus
    I don't get why so many people get the updates on reboot. I boot my laptop with Kubuntu 9.10 every day, and shut it down at night. And I have never seen a notification from KPackageKit.
    I also boot up and shut down every day. I hadn't received any auto-update notifications in a while which made me wonder if something had stopped working because when I first installed Kubuntu 9.1, there was regular updates almost every day. As fate would have it, just yesterday I had an auto-update message for 4 new ones.

Comment

Ok it's not an upgrade thing. I just updated machine #3 from Jaunty to Karmic...this one actually gets the update notifications. I'm going to dig further and see what exactly is different between the machines.

Comment

Make sure your source list is O.K.
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Ok:

I just succeeded in getting my first actual update notification. I figured that there was something in my $HOME/.kde directory that was not working properly. So I logged in a console, nuked my $HOME/.kde directory, and logged back into KDE (which creates a whole new $HOME/.kde tree).

I waited until some updates came along and rebooted the system. When I logged back in, after a few minutes I got the notification. Time will tell if it's actually working, or if I've only joined the ranks of those of you who only get notifications on reboot (I rarely reboot, preferring to live in suspend mode).

So to recap, I have not found out WHY it happens. There's still a bug lurking somewhere and I believe it has something to do with old $HOME/.kde configuration files.

I still have a copy of my old $HOME/.kde directory so I may try and find out what is different.

Hope this "workaround" helps.

Comment

Further update:

I only get updates when I reboot. Or, this can be simulated by doing the following:

1) kill and restart /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kpackagekitsmarticon

2) Go into System Settings -> Service Manger. Uncheck the KPackage Service, stop the service, then hit "apply". Now, check the KPackage Service, start the service, and hit "apply". You will get updates when the next round of updates happens. After that, it all stops working again.

Comment

Update notifications via Twitter

As a geeky workaround, I've got my laptop sending update notifications to my mobile phone via Twitter direct message (yes, my laptop has its own Twitter account for things like this).

Here's what I'm doing (and thanks to Idyllic for getting me started on the bash+cron path for this):

1. Create a Twitter account for my computer, set it to private (so the world can't see the updates), have both accounts follow each other, make sure my personal account is set to receive text alerts for direct messages.

2. Create the following bash script and create a root cron job (sudo crontab -e) to run it:

Code:
              #!/bin/bash

USERNAME="twitter username"
              PASSWORD="twitter password"
              RECIP="twitter username for the recipient (me)"
              STATUS="There are Linux updates available for your computer."

sudo apt-get update -qq
              OUTPUT=`sudo apt-get upgrade -s|grep "will be upgraded"`

if [ "$OUTPUT" != "" ]; then
               curl -u $USERNAME:$PASSWORD -d status="d $RECIP $STATUS" -s [url]http://twitter.com/statuses/update.xml[/url]
              fi

exit 0
              This is probably a bit of overkill just to receive update notifications, but I already use Twitter to send periodic updates to myself from my computer regarding completed tasks, when web sites come back online, etc.
              JamieWilson.net

Comment

Hi folks,

I just read all ~100 replies on this thread. I'm experiencing the same issue with not getting any updates through the update notifier.

Of course it's 9 months later now and I'm using Lucid, but this entire thread could have applied to me too.

Has anyone figured a work-around out for this in Lucid, or is anyone else experiencing this in Lucid?

-Chris

Comment

No luck for me. I'm still using the same basic script I posted above about 9 months ago. Frustrating...
                  JamieWilson.net

Comment

kubuntu-notification-helper

Description: Kubuntu system notification helper
                    Kubuntu Notification Helper is a daemon that presents various notifications
                    to the user. It uses the KDE Daemon system as a base and presents the
                    notifications using the KDE Notification system. It also includes a
                    System Settings module for configuring the daemon
                    . Kubuntu Notification
                    Helper is lightweight and fully integrated with KDE.
                    K > System Settings > Application and System Notifications > Event Source > System Notification Helper > Upgrade Hook and ensure that Show a message in a popup is checked.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I had looked at that System Notification Helper event source quite a while ago, and I actually have all 4 choices (including Upgrade Hook) checked to show the notification, but it still never does it.

I have the usual things set of course like 'Check for Updates Daily' in kpackagekit, the kpackagekit update deamon is running at startup, etc.

This still seems like a bug.

Comment

Check and see if you have the package update-manager-kde installed.

Comment

I do have the update-manager-kde package installed.

??

Comment

Same here. I have the notifier installed and my configuration is set to give me popup notifications when updates are available. I only find out when upgrades are available when my computer sends a text message to my phone.
                            JamieWilson.net

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                              kubuntu-notification-helper

K > System Settings > Application and System Notifications > Event Source > System Notification Helper > Upgrade Hook and ensure that Show a message in a popup is checked.
                              Application and System Notifications doesn't appear anywhere in my System Settings

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
                                Application and System Notifications doesn't appear anywhere in my System Settings
                                KK 10.04, KDE 4.5.1 (sorry).

Comment

Working...
                                X