X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No update notifications since upgrade

Hi:

Just updated from Jaunty to Karmic and I noticed that I no longer get notifications about new updates. I have to check manually by either running apt-get update/upgrade, or running kpackagekit.

What program is supposed to be monitoring updates? Is it kpackagekit or update-notifier-kde? update-notifier-kde is running in the background when I log in. If I run update-notifier-kde -c, after a short delay I get:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/bin/update-notifier-kde", line 168, in aptDirectoryChanged
    result = apt_check.run()
    File "/usr/lib/update-notifier/apt_check.py", line 84, in run
    if options.security_updates_unattended:
    AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'security_updates_unattended'

Re: No update notifications since upgrade

Check to see if notification is enabled

KPackageKit -> Settings -> Notify when updates are available

Comment

Yes, already checked that..it is enabled.

Comment

Maybe there haven't been any updates?

Comment

There have, lots of them. I've been running since beta and it has never worked.

Comment

It works for me but sometimes I want to update on my schedule, so I open a console and issue

sudo apt-get update

followed by

sudo apt-get upgrade

If, by chance, you happen to do that while the developers are uploading a series of packages you may get dependency notifications and the upgrade my be incomplete or even quit. If that happens issue

sudo apt-get --fix-missing

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Yes, I'm aware of all that...it is the only way I actually can see there are updates (using apt-get). The tray notification is what doesn't work, at all. Nothing ever comes up saying there are new updates (not the old "gear" icon and nothing under the "I" icon).

I think update-notifier-kde is what is broken, given the output of running it with "-c". IF update-notifier-kde is what is used in Karmic...all the docs I've read so far claim the update notifications come from KPackageKit.

Comment

I have the same problem. After posting a thread on this in the forum previously I actually did get a single update notification so I thought it was fixed. Since then there have been many updates though and I haven't gotten notifications for any of them, so I guess not.

Comment

Well if it's a wide-spread issue the Kubuntu people are going to be scratching their heads wondering why no one is updating their machines...

The -only- time I see anything appear on my tray area is when I fire up KPackageKit manually and click on the "check for updates" button. A little icon of something appears and vanishes quickly...can never quite make out what it is because it comes and goes so fast.

Can anyone at least tell me where the "you've got updates" notification is supposed to appear? Is the "gear" gone and we're supposed to get it under the "I" icon?

Comment

Just after reading this post I checked my updates in kpackage and guess what there was a load of them there

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleman
                      The -only- time I see anything appear on my tray area is when I fire up KPackageKit manually and click on the "check for updates" button. A little icon of something appears and vanishes quickly...can never quite make out what it is because it comes and goes so fast.

Can anyone at least tell me where the "you've got updates" notification is supposed to appear? Is the "gear" gone and we're supposed to get it under the "I" icon?
                      That little icon is kind of like a status of what kpackagekit is doing, it's not an update notifier.

I know someone else mentioned that their "update notifications" were in the little "i" and the one I got was in the little "i", so I think that's how it's supposed to show up.

Comment

I installed Koala on Friday or Saturday after my upgrade failed. The only update notification I've gotten since then was a few minutes ago for 9 bug fixes but I did sudo apt-get update once or twice because of issues so maybe I snagged something that would have shown up in the notifier.

Comment

There WAS an update to update-notifier-kde a day or two ago. It changed nothing for me however.

So they've been posting updates and at least some of us have not been notified. Wonder if it's an upgrade issue?

Comment

I done a new install from vista

Comment

Having the same problem, tried uninstalling / reinstalling update-notifier-kde but this didn't seem to make any difference.

I've got the notify check box ticked in kpackagekit, but the only time I get a popup message is if I fire up kpackagekit and go to software updates. This only happens once though, the message never re-appeares if I repeat this without installing the listed updates.

In the ubuntu release notes there it infers that the update notifications for non-security related updates will only be prompted weekly, is this the same for kubuntu now? Am I just being impatient?

If so, is there a way to change the popup message frequency?

Comment

Working...
                              X