X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aha! Sounds like the cause of the problems reported in these KFN posts:

http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...g-after-a-boot
    http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...dle-of-display

In that second one, I suggested removing kubuntu-notification-helper as an experiment. Do you think that might be another workaround?

Comment

Yes, that would definitely do it, although it's a bit of a drastic way to work around the bug. As you can see from the above screenshot, that disables codec installation notifications as well as reboot notifications, which are important. I personally would not suggest removing kubuntu-notification-helper as a fix to the problem.
      Last edited by JontheEchidna; May 02, 2012, 08:42 PM.

Comment

I agree, your option is less drastic. I don't have the notification helper package installed on any of my machines and never encountered the "lightbulb problem," and I realized the possible connection only a few moments before your post appeared. I'll refer the others to your better suggestion.

Comment

The trouble with your message is your are shooting the messanger. That will stop the message but does not fix the problem that caused the message in the first place, in that the packages are not installed. I have found it is only caused by the Muon software manager as I said above.

Comment

I must admit I read JontheEchidna's post the same way, almost an "ignore the error message as it has no consequence". Skimming the bug reports though he seemed to make the link with the GTK dependency you concluded. Though seemed to pay no attention to the outcome or result of this occurence.
            Kubuntu 12.04 - Acer Aspire 5750G

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

Originally posted by nevillef View Post
              The trouble with your message is your are shooting the messanger. That will stop the message but does not fix the problem that caused the message in the first place, in that the packages are not installed. I have found it is only caused by the Muon software manager as I said above.
              Muon is still only the messenger, as it is the post-install script of flash that actually has the error. Muon seems to just be triggering the bug in the script.

Comment

Well how come when I run the same script in the konsole everything goes fine. The errors I found using Muon was that it was looking for gksudo when it is not installed instead of kdesudo. That doesn't happen in the konsole.

Comment

Muon isn't what's looking for gksudo, the update notification script that the flash package uses wants it...

Comment

I notice you are a developer and I am not, but isn't Muon running the same "flashplugin-installer" package that I run when I do "sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer" in the konsole? I don't have any problem with the konsole install.

Comment

Yes, but Muon is just triggering a bug in the script that causes it to fail. (The proxy environment setup is slightly different, but not wrong.The script is unable to cope with this.) This causes the download of the flash plugin from adobe to fail, prompting update-notifier to place the Malformed Upgrade Notification file so that users can try downloading it later. (Which Kubuntu users can't because the notification tries to re-do the download with gksudo)

The entire thing is a mess because of Ubuntu making major changes to how flash was downloaded waay too close to release. :/
                      Last edited by JontheEchidna; May 03, 2012, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JontheEchidna View Post
                        The entire thing is a mess because of Ubuntu making major changes to how flash was downloaded waay too close to release. :/
                        This is one of the pet peeves of mine...in the rush to get something in they seem to regularly "forget" users of non-gnome/unity desktops. This isn't the first time this happens.

Comment

Originally posted by nevillef View Post
                          sudo rm /var/lib/update-notifier/user.d/data-downloads-failed
                          sudo rm /var/lib/update-notifier/user.d/data-downloads-failed-permanently
                          Thanks for your advice. I deleted only first file (second I did not have) and it seems to be solved.

Comment

I installed flashplugin-installer from konsole but I have same prodlem during next flashplugin update.

Comment

Kubuntu 64 bit clean install.

I am not sure whether this problem of mine is related. It concerns not getting sound on sites like YouTube only after having installed msttcorefonts and getting the yellow bulb situation as described in this thread.
                              I have since removed the msttcorefonts package and flashplugin-installer plus the failed downloads file in/var/lib/update-notifier.
                              I then installed the adobe-flashplugin and adobe-flash-properties-kde via terminal. Still no sound on sites like YouTube.
                              All local videos/music files play fine with sound. All codecs were installed manually (I always do that). I did however enable the medibuntu repository.
                              Also isn't it rather confusing to be confronted with with two flashplugin package options. Before this problem the flashplugin-installer was ticked in the package manager (Kubuntu default), and there were no problems with audio on sites using the flashplayer.
                              Any ideas ?

(BTW - Here a screenshot of my desktop http://www.imagebam.com/image/4ccb56188398376)

Edit: All now hunky dory - my mistake, it was the 'Default audio device setting preference' in audio setup that I needed to change.
                              Last edited by weha; May 07, 2012, 09:41 AM.

Comment

I assume this is the same issue i am having, i get a yellow lightbulb on my system tray when i click it i get a black line about 3 inchis tall that runs the width of my screen, if i use the cube desktop i see that it actually stretches across 3 of the 4 desktops, not that that is important. anyway if i hover my mouse over the lightbulb in my task bar it says something like "update manager" or something similar sorry I didn't remember text, I thought it would show in my screen shot, but it didn't. anyway here is the shot
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X