Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, you're experiencing the same problem.

BTW, everyone: Adobe released an update to the Flash binary today that fixes an object confusion vulnerability that is actively under attack by in-the-wild exploit code. flashplugin-installer, currently at version 11.2.202.233, has not yet been updated. adobe-flashplugin, in the partner repository, is already updated with the fixed player, version 11.2.202.235.

Comment

With the endless black box, I found that by dragging it to the left, it turns into a standard dialogue box. It's like Windows Snap!

Again getting the issue with the MS Core Fonts, persisting after I performed Flash plugin update referred to above.

Some more investigation needed, but I'm short of time right now...

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
        BTW, everyone: Adobe released an update to the Flash binary today that fixes an object confusion vulnerability that is actively under attack by in-the-wild exploit code.
        Lol,
        I had a call yesterday (Saturday lunch) from someone supposedly from e-Systems ? insisting that my Windows box was under attack and my .live email was generating copious amounts of SPAM. I had wild visions lol of the little aspire-5750 here bringing the net to it's knees. The threat (and the call) suddenly ended when I informed the caller I run Linux
        Kubuntu 12.04 - Acer Aspire 5750G

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

Originally posted by tunnel-prot View Post
          Again getting the issue with the MS Core Fonts, persisting after I performed Flash plugin update referred to above.

Some more investigation needed, but I'm short of time right now...
          Take a look at the packages that kubuntu-restricted-addons and kubuntu-restricted-extras recommend. Directly install (with apt-get) the ones you want. Then purge the "restricted" packages. I think that will eliminate the prompts -- but I can't verify, as I don't use any kind of automatic update thing.

Comment

Hi Folks:
            As a non-expert, I just finished reading this entire thread and am still confused as to what the recommended solution is. I am experiencing the same issue with the yellow light bulb in system tray and the black band appeariance upon clicking on it. Would someone please provide an step wise solution or work around for this issue?
            Thanks in advance!

Comment

Did you install kubuntu-restricted-extras? Or what?
              Last edited by lanzen; May 06, 2012, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lanzen View Post
                Did you install kubuntu-restricted-extras? Or what?
                This happened after the latest update through muon.

Comment

Don't use Muon. Use Konsole.

I'd need to know if you have flash, or have installed the KRE as I wrote in the previous post to tell you step by step procedure.

Anyway, start with

Code:
                  sudo rm /var/lib/update-notifier/user.d/data-downloads-failed

Comment

Don't use Muon. Use Konsole.

I'd need to know if you have flash, or have installed the KRE as I wrote in the previous post to tell you step by step procedure.
                    In Firefox I have Flash and it is the latest version. However, in Rekong, if I run a video, I get a screen with a button "load plugin", and I have to click on it before the video opens. I need to repeat this in Rekong everytime i need to run a video. What is KRE? Your previous post?? I have never installed KRE.

[code]Anyway, start with

Code:
                    sudo rm /var/lib/update-notifier/user.d/data-downloads-failed
                    [/QUOTE]
                    I have already done this. the file is aready removed

Comment

So, you said you installed flashplugin-installer via rekonq...

Open Konsole and paste these:

Code:
                      sudo apt-get purge flashplugin-installer
                      You will be requested to input your password. Do it.

Wait until the prompt comes back.

Do your housework:

Code:
                      sudo apt-get clean
                      Code:
                      sudo apt-get autoclean
                      Code:
                      sudo apt-get autoremove
                      Wait... and... why not:
                      Code:
                      sudo reboot
                      When you're in again, add the Canonical Partner Repos to your sources list if you haven't done it yet. You can use Muon if you prefer GUI. Update, but don't install anything. Close Muon

Now open your terminal (konsole):

Code:
                      sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer
                      Be aware of the messages and approve them if needed.

When the prompt comes back run rekonq and/or Firefox and check if you can see flash movies. (youTube?).

That should be it!
                      Last edited by lanzen; May 06, 2012, 01:22 PM.

Comment

So, you said you installed flashplugin-installer via rekonq...

When the prompt comes back run rekonq and/or Firefox and check if you can see flash movies. (youTube?).

That should be it!
                        Thank you for your guidance. I followed the instructions and all went smooth.
                        Now Flash plays youtube videos in Firefox but I get just a black blank flash screen in Rekong with no video playing here. Before, I got a "Load Plugins" Tab in the middle of the black blank screen in Rekong, but not any more. When I clicked on that tab the video would start playing. The problem was that I had to repeat this process if I needed to watch another video.

Comment

When you're in again, add the Canonical Partner Repos to your sources list if you haven't done it yet. You can use Muon if you prefer GUI. Update, but don't install anything. Close Muon

Now open your terminal (konsole):

Code:
                          sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer
                          That will simply re-install the Flash plugin from the Ubuntu repository. To install the plugin from the partner repository, the command is
                          Code:
                          sudo apt-get install adobe-flashplugin adobe-flash-properties-kde
                          That second package installs a System Settings module to configure various Flash settings.

Comment

That will simply re-install the Flash plugin from the Ubuntu repository. To install the plugin from the partner repository, the command is
                            Code:
                            sudo apt-get install adobe-flashplugin adobe-flash-properties-kde
                            That second package installs a System Settings module to configure various Flash settings.
                            So, what is the reversal method. Should I simply follow the same stepwise instructions above, i. e. first remove the flashplugin installer, and then try to re-install with the SteveR's command structure?

Comment

Originally posted by marco07 View Post
                              So, what is the reversal method. Should I simply follow the same stepwise instructions above, i. e. first remove the flashplugin installer, and then try to re-install with the SteveR's command structure?
                              Yes. Between the removal and installation steps, I'd recommend cleaning out your Flash cache:
                              Code:
                              rm -rfv ~/.adobe ~/.macromedia

Comment

Yes. Between the removal and installation steps, I'd recommend cleaning out your Flash cache:
                                Code:
                                rm -rfv ~/.adobe ~/.macromedia
                                Here is what I encountered with:

marco@DX200:~/Downloads$ sudo apt-get install adobe-flashplugin adobe-flash-properties-kde
                                [sudo] password for marco:
                                Reading package lists... Done
                                Building dependency tree
                                Reading state information... Done
                                Package adobe-flashplugin is not available, but is referred to by another package.
                                This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
                                is only available from another source

E: Package 'adobe-flashplugin' has no installation candidate
                                E: Unable to locate package adobe-flash-properties-kde
                                marco@DX200:~/Downloads$

What do I need to do now?
                                Last edited by marco07; May 06, 2012, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X