X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PLASMA 5] krusader!

ohai, KDE folks

krusader v2.5.0 has been released for Qt5/KF5 - I haven't found a deb yet but did find source code and a git repository. This spiffy new version hasn't made it into Debian repos at all (not even Experimental) so this is pretty new news.

https://krusader.org

I haven't decided whether to compile a deb myself or just wait for the professionals to do it, but I just downloaded v2.4.0beta3 from Sid's repos and I think there's a strong possibility I may be done with dolphin

Screenshot below - I'm still playing with it but changing default terminal from konsole to terminator took me about five seconds - it's *that* configurable.

Enjoy!

edit: Screenshot is of v2.4.0beta3, which runs just fine under KF5

Last edited by wizard10000; Oct 25, 2016, 09:38 AM.
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

I had to rub my eyes to be sure that they weren't deceiving me, but that looks EXACTLY like a gui version of Midnight Commander, down to identically named buttons!

When you right mouse click on various types of files what context sensitive options are offered in the popup?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      I had to rub my eyes to be sure that they weren't deceiving me, but that looks EXACTLY like a gui version of Midnight Commander, down to identically named buttons!

When you right mouse click on various types of files what context sensitive options are offered in the popup?
      Yeah, I'm a big fan of mc. We're not gonna talk about how long ago it was that Norton Commander was my go-to file manager

krusader is mime-aware; it uses KDE's default applications thingamabob. I did notice when I opened a text file it opened with geany instead of kate, but kate was in the "open with" options.

Screenshot of context menu - small thumbnail, opens to 1920x1080 -

Last edited by wizard10000; Oct 25, 2016, 12:39 PM.
      -- anais nin

Comment

Pretty reasonable options available.

So, you downloaded the tar and did a
        [configure]configure & make & make compile[/console]

Why the older one and not the 2.5 ?
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

looks like the 2.4.0 ver is what we have in Neon ,,,,,,

Code:
          vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ apt search krusader
          Sorting... Done
          Full Text Search... Done
          krusader/xenial 1:2.4.0~beta3-2ubuntu1 amd64
            twin-panel (commander-style) file manager
          I DL'd the krusader-2.5.0.tar.xz from Krusader.org ,,,,,,,,and am thinking of compiling it tonight ,,,,,,going over the depends at the moment.

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Pretty reasonable options available.

So, you downloaded the tar and did a
            [configure]configure & make & make compile[/console]

Why the older one and not the 2.5 ?
            I didn't compile it, I snagged it from Sid repos. Still trying to decide whether I want to compile 2.5 or wait for Debian to do it
            -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
              Yup. That's the version I'm using.
              -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000 View Post
                I didn't compile it, I snagged it from Sid repos. Still trying to decide whether I want to compile 2.5 or wait for Debian to do it
                I have downloaded it and will take a look at it. Doing the configure/make/make compile/make install doesn't bother me but many of these source code files have incomplete make files and do not include an "uninstall" section that works, so one is compelled to examine the install section and manually back out the libraries and binaries. If it has a good uninstall section I'll give it a go.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post

Code:
                  vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ apt search krusader
                  Sorting... Done
                  Full Text Search... Done
                  krusader/xenial 1:2.4.0~beta3-2ubuntu1 amd64
                    twin-panel (commander-style) file manager
                  I DL'd the krusader-2.5.0.tar.xz from Krusader.org ,,,,,,,,and am thinking of compiling it tonight ,,,,,,going over the depends at the moment.

VINNY
                  well life has me going at a snails pace on this ,,,,, ,,,, all the depends were already installed @hear ,,,,,,,,,,,,going thrugh the "Suggested packages" ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
                  Code:
                  These packages are optional but they will make Krusader much more powerful and useful.
                  The next packages are the names that Debian/Ubuntu uses, other Linux
                  distros will probably use similar names.
                  and deciding which ones I need

VINNY
                  i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                  16GB RAM
                  Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Took a look at the 2.5 version and evaluated what I'd have to install. 73 packages, including lots of dev packages. Decided not to compile it and wait for a binary coming down the pipe. I've got mc, which is lightening fast, so that should keep me till then.

Comment

I have downloaded it and will take a look at it. Doing the configure/make/make compile/make install doesn't bother me but many of these source code files have incomplete make files and do not include an "uninstall" section that works, so one is compelled to examine the install section and manually back out the libraries and binaries. If it has a good uninstall section I'll give it a go.
                      It's possible you could compile straight to .deb if you wanted to; that way you could use fancy package manager tools to manage it

https://wiki.debian.org/CheckInstall

Took a look at the 2.5 version and evaluated what I'd have to install. 73 packages, including lots of dev packages. Decided not to compile it and wait for a binary coming down the pipe. I've got mc, which is lightening fast, so that should keep me till then.
                      Yeah, that's why I was on the fence. 2.4 works for me for now and I'm pretty sure whatever the Debian maintainers come up with will be better than what *I* come up with
                      -- anais nin

Comment

A very big 'I HAVE NOT TESTED' and 'USE AT YOUR OWN RISK' warning on this, but.......

https://launchpad.net/~blaze/+archiv...ilter=krusader
                        On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

why not just use dolphin? it does all this stuff also.
                          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

krusader!

Originally posted by acheron View Post
                            A very big 'I HAVE NOT TESTED' and 'USE AT YOUR OWN RISK' warning on this, but.......

https://launchpad.net/~blaze/+archiv...ilter=krusader
                            That is worth a test! Thanks, archeron!

Sithlord48: I love Dolphin, but I also like to have more than one tool in my bag. I used Krusader years ago but it disappeared. Working at the CLI level is a PITA, especially when it gets difficult to remember the options and switches for a utility. MC is a CLI GUI just a step above the CLI, but not as smooth as a Qt API GUI. The real test, for me, of Krusader is if it is significantly faster than Dolphin in things like mass copies, moves or deletions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Right moused on the xenial offering linked to by archeron and downloaded the deb. Used QApt from Dolphin to install it.
                              Initial testing by just browsing around....

Krusader also offers the ability to install deb files by using QApt Package Installer.

WOW! Everything in MC is in Krusader plus more!

FAST! Maybe it is because 16.04 is about twice as fast on my Acer as 14.04 was, but Krusader appears to be as fast as MC.

Unless I run into some ugly installation crashing bug Krusader is a keeper!
                              Last edited by GreyGeek; Oct 26, 2016, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X