X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
    Krusader 2.5.0 is in Neon's repository.
    Also in Sid. Just installed - again
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Comment

Reading this thread, I feel like I'm missing something. Yes, Krusader is a very functional "old school", or maybe "classic" file management tool. But, for Plasma 5 desktop users who need to work with root privileges, what is the problem with enabling kdesu, launching Dolphin with
      Code:
      kdesu dolphin
      and splitting the view if you need two panels to work in?

Comment

Originally posted by dibl View Post
        Reading this thread, I feel like I'm missing something. Yes, Krusader is a very functional "old school", or maybe "classic" file management tool. But, for Plasma 5 desktop users who need to work with root privileges, what is the problem with enabling kdesu, launching Dolphin with
        Code:
        kdesu dolphin
        and splitting the view if you need two panels to work in?
        1. I guess the primary reason would probably be that the latest dolphin refuses to run as root, it's been disabled in the code. (see https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...anager-problem for discussion)

2. Also, krusader's twin panels are much more functional dolphin's twin-pane view, including shortcuts to copy/move to the other panel etc.

3. Krusader also seems better when working with the keyboard, at least if you are familiar with old-school file managers.

Nothing against people that prefer dolphin, of course

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
          1. I guess the primary reason would probably be that the latest dolphin refuses to run as root, it's been disabled in the code. (see https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...anager-problem for discussion)
          Well, yeah I read that a couple days ago, and that quote was from a couple months ago, and then I checked my Debian sid system and saw

Code:
          root@Hibiscus:/# apt policy dolphin
          dolphin:
           Installed: 4:16.08.3-3
           Candidate: 4:16.08.3-3
           Version table:
          *** 4:16.08.3-3 500
                 500 http://http.debian.net/debian unstable/main amd64 Packages
                 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
          So, am I about to lose the ability to run Dolphin as root, with kdesu? I see kate is also affected by this master stroke of genius, and I use kate for editing system files.

Comment

So, am I about to lose the ability to run Dolphin as root, with kdesu?
            Yes, once you upgrade to dolphin 17.04 (it might be a while until it lands in debian)...and provided that the debian maintainer doesn't strip the code from the source (which is unlikely)

I see kate is also affected by this master stroke of genius, and I use kate for editing system files.
            You can use the 'sudoedit' workaround to use kate to edit system files. Iit will not start kate as root, instead it opens kate as normal user and edits a tmpfile, and once you're done, it will copy the tmpfile over the original (as root, but not launching a root GUI).

Unfortunately there is no workaround for dolphin...until they can get the policykit integration in place.

Comment

Well, yeah I read that a couple days ago, and that quote was from a couple months ago, and then I checked my Debian sid system and saw

Code:
              root@Hibiscus:/# apt policy dolphin
              dolphin:
              Installed: 4:16.08.3-3
              Candidate: 4:16.08.3-3
              Version table:
              *** 4:16.08.3-3 500
                    500 http://http.debian.net/debian unstable/main amd64 Packages
                    100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
              So, am I about to lose the ability to run Dolphin as root, with kdesu? I see kate is also affected by this master stroke of genius, and I use kate for editing system files.
              Kate ,,,so far is unaffected and will run with "kdesudo" @hear ,,,but dolphin has had it's root cut off

KDE-Frameworks-5.33.0

Dolphin-17.03.80

Kate-16.12.3

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                Kate ,,,so far is unaffected and will run with "kdesudo" @hear ,,,but dolphin has had it's root cut off

KDE-Frameworks-5.33.0

Dolphin-17.03.80

Kate-16.12.3

VINNY
                Yes, you have 16.12 kate, and a pre-release 17.04 dolphin (17.03.80), kate will also be affected in 17.04 (or pre-release).

Comment

Here, in my VM installation of 17.04, I just launched Dolphin 'as root' with kdesudo dolphin. I was told "dolphin needs administrative privileges. Please enter your password." I entered my password and pressed Enter and Dolphin launched with the elevated privileges.

KDE Plasma Version 5.9.4
                  KDE Frameworks Version 5.31.0
                  Qt Version 5.7.1
                  Dolphin version 16.12.3
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                    Yes, you have 16.12 kate, and a pre-release 17.04 dolphin (17.03.80), kate will also be affected in 17.04 (or pre-release).
                    A ,,,yes I see now "Dohh"

on a side note ,,,,,,,Konqueror still runs as root with kdesudo and is closer (looking feeling) to Dolphin than Krusader

VINNY
                    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                    16GB RAM
                    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                      Here, in my VM installation of 17.04, I just launched Dolphin 'as root' with kdesudo dolphin. I was told "dolphin needs administrative privileges. Please enter your password." I entered my password and pressed Enter and Dolphin launched with the elevated privileges.

KDE Plasma Version 5.9.4
                      Qt Version 5.7.1
                      Dolphin version 16.12.3
                      Yes, because your dolphin version is 16.12. With "version 17.04", I meant KDE Applications 17.04 (not kubuntu 17.04), I should have been more clear about that as similar version numbers are quite confusing.

Comment

KDE Plasma Version 5.9.4
                        Qt Version 5.7.1
                        Dolphin version 16.12.3
                        are the icons showing?
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Well, no. And just launching it again with kdesudo, after Dolphin has been launched, no icons are shown and a message appears: The process for the file protocol died unexpectedly. That message appears in Home, Network, Root, and Trash under Places.

Comment

I don't get icons either, but neither do I get any error msgs *from dolphin*.
                            And, I get a constant flow of pixel map messages in the Konsole from which I opened Dolphin.
                            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Well, no. And just launching it again with kdesudo, after Dolphin has been launched, no icons are shown and a message appears: The process for the file protocol died unexpectedly. That message appears in Home, Network, Root, and Trash under Places.
                              This is a different issue (that can be solved). But root will stop functioning in dolphin 17.04. (again that is kde apps version 17.04, not kubuntu version 17.04...I'm not sure whether kubuntu 17.04 will include kde apps 17.04)

Comment

This is what I see after dolphin has been launched using kdesudo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	kdesudodolphinerror.png
Views:	1
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	643484

Comment

Working...
                                X