This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
    This is a different issue (that can be solved).
    Yes, I'm aware. There's at least one thread here in KFN that addresses that.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
      Konqueror still runs as root with kdesudo and is closer (looking feeling) to Dolphin than Krusader
      This is probably just an omission (nobody thought of konqueror yet)...konqueror doesn't include any file manager functionality, it just loads dolphins kpart on itself for the file managent (which explains why it feels so similar )

Comment

Yes, once you upgrade to dolphin 17.04 (it might be a while until it lands in debian)...and provided that the debian maintainer doesn't strip the code from the source (which is unlikely)

You can use the 'sudoedit' workaround to use kate to edit system files. Iit will not start kate as root, instead it opens kate as normal user and edits a tmpfile, and once you're done, it will copy the tmpfile over the original (as root, but not launching a root GUI).

Unfortunately there is no workaround for dolphin...until they can get the policykit integration in place.
        OK thank you for the reply and clarification. Well, I guess it's back to Krusader (or maybe study up on pcmanfm which I use on LXQt) and nano for me. Sure doesn't feel like progress.
        Last edited by dibl; Apr 06, 2017, 04:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl View Post
          ...or maybe study up on pcmanfm
          I like pcmanfm; even when I was running #! that was my file manager of choice as I'm really not a fan of thunar. I still use it in fluxbox and openbox - the only grumble I have is that you can't *start* pcmanfm in dual pane mode. F3 will give you dual pane but you can't start pcmanfm with a split screen
          we see things not as they are, but as we are.
          -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000 View Post
            I like pcmanfm; even when I was running #! that was my file manager of choice as I'm really not a fan of thunar. I still use it in fluxbox and openbox - the only grumble I have is that you can't *start* pcmanfm in dual pane mode. F3 will give you dual pane but you can't start pcmanfm with a split screen
            I played with pcmanfm-qt on my LXQt laptop this morning and I think it will do nicely for my purposes. I would never be mistaken for a "power user" of dolphin -- I don't use more than 10% of its capabilities, but when you're accustomed to using a tool and then it's taken away, you're left slightly incapacitated until you find a substitute. Like Vinny, I take a dim view of those who think they can protect me from myself -- they simply do not understand how resourceful I can be at self-destruction.

Comment

Krusader version also discourages using root mode in version 2.6 (available in Neon). The root-mode .desktop link has been removed and if you start a root file manager window from the krusader interface it shows a warning (that you can dismiss if you wish)...but it will still run as root, which IMO is a better route to take than the one taken by dolphin devs. (commit: https://cgit.kde.org/krusader.git/co...e55d2e280c7419 )

Also, 2.6 supports regular kde service menus in addition to it's own user actions. (changelog: https://cgit.kde.org/krusader.git/tree/ChangeLog )

Comment

Krusader version also discourages using root mode in version 2.6 (available in Neon). The root-mode .desktop link has been removed and if you start a root file manager window from the krusader interface it shows a warning
                If you have the time I'd be interested in whether root krusader still works without interference if you call it with kdesu or kdesudo. TBH I've never used (or liked) the root mode button.

Along with others in this thread I'm not particularly happy with the dev team's decision to protect me from myself
                -- anais nin

Comment

If you have the time I'd be interested in whether root krusader still works without interference if you call it with kdesu or kdesudo. TBH I've never used (or liked) the root mode button.
                  Works fine with kdesu (in sudo mode), doesn't even display the warning...I don't have kdesudo installed anymore (I've removed all kde4 apps and libs), so cannot test that.

Also works when using krusader user action or service menu to start as root (using kdesu).

Comment

Neon users rejoice! Elite file manager Krusader got a new release now in KDE neon User Editions https://plus.google.com/113043070111...ts/F2tWctotoV1
                    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                    K*Digest Blog
                    K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Works fine with kdesu (in sudo mode), doesn't even display the warning...I don't have kdesudo installed anymore (I've removed all kde4 apps and libs), so cannot test that.

Also works when using krusader user action or service menu to start as root (using kdesu).
                      root warning only appears once if you check the "leave me alone" box

Running dev unstable now. Sadly, the unstable image would boot, show a working desktop and then segfault on install. Installed user edition, changed sources.list and upgraded. Seems to be running pretty well. Working on NFS shares and other stuff now - I just clean installed and then restored home and /root. So far, so good
                      -- anais nin

Comment

krusader 2.5 and later doesn't know where its toolbar icons are if you start it as root. Known issue - if you want to fix it launch krusader this way -

Code:
                        kdesudo -c "KDE_SESSION_VERSION=5 KDE_FULL_SESSION=true  dbus-launch krusader"
                        Tried several times to start dolphin as root - no joy. kate's doing the same thing, but krusader will launch geany as root in a heartbeat

edit: This will also fix systemsettings5 disappearing icons if you choose to make root's settings different from your normal user.
                        Last edited by wizard10000; Apr 15, 2017, 06:16 AM.
                        -- anais nin

Comment

And on running dolphin and kate as root it appears that's not KDE's issue; apparently wayland won't let us run *any* gooey applications as root.

Fascinating thread here -

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...s-not-possible
                          -- anais nin

Comment

Indeed!
                            openSUSE disabling YAST running as root? YAST (Yet Another System Tool) has no purpose if it can't run as root. I was using SuSE before the graphical YAST came along, and I preferred the shell version because it was faster. IF Wayland cuts off ALL graphical root tools then I shall resort to mc, even though it is not nearly as intuitive or convenient, because I'm used to it and have used it through many distros over many years. The major things one does as root are
                            1) edit system files,
                            2) add, edit or delete files,
                            3) move files around.
                            4) using cut & paste to do much of those three, which is the graphical solution advantage.

I used nano for years to edit system config files, but haven't used it in years since Dolphin came along.

Things not done so often in root:
                            5) Manipulate HD partitions.

I certainly do NOT want to go back to using fdisk or cfdisk or sfdisk. That would be like pulling teeth without Novocaine.

IF Wayland is not going to allow any GUI tools as root (for who knows how long?) then there is no reason for me to progress on my GUI Btrfs Utility program because the commands to add, edit or delete subvolumes & snapshots and do send & receive require root permissions. It would be a lot easier to create shell scripts for specific, repetitive tasks, sudo to root and execute them.
                            Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 15, 2017, 11:40 AM.
                            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

krusader 2.5 and later doesn't know where its toolbar icons are if you start it as root. Known issue - if you want to fix it launch krusader this way -

Code:
                              kdesudo -c "KDE_SESSION_VERSION=5 KDE_FULL_SESSION=true  dbus-launch krusader"
                              Nice one
                              Tried several times to start dolphin as root - no joy. kate's doing the same thing,
                              theirs a thread hear somewhere that tells how to launch Kate with sudoedit and have it use kate for the editor and a Dolphin service menu to use it .

but krusader will launch geany as root in a heartbeat
                              for simple system file editing the built in editor in Krusader(root mode) works fine.

VINNY
                              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                              16GB RAM
                              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

More news - this appears to be a tempoprary glitch -

https://community.kde.org/GSoC/2017/...support_in_KIO
                                -- anais nin

Comment

Working...
                                X