This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From the Alpha 1 release notes:
    The Kubuntu team are committed to releasing 15.10 in October. Updates, bug fixes and future releases are currently uncertain.
    What we know
    That the Kubuntu team will produce a functional and complete 15.10 in October 2015.

What we don't know
    Anything else (including current and future LTSes) that might or might not happen post 15.10 release.

Given that no other information has been made public yet, whatever anyone says is mere speculation. Let's try to keep that to a minimum. Remember what happened a few years ago when Canonical decided it would no longer pay Jonathan to spend working hours on Kubuntu. There was much confusion because of so many guesses being thrown around as assertions of fact.

Comment

Originally posted by 67GTA View Post
      Just read the release notes for 15.10 Alpha 1 and saw "Updates, bug fixes and future releases are currently uncertain. " That has me worried now. Is that an official statement, or a community member just blowing steam? What about the LTS release? https://wiki.kubuntu.org/WilyWerewolf/Alpha1/Kubuntu
      https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WilyWerewolf...ev2=45&rev1=44
      jr = Jonathan Riddell

I am guessing a blowing of steam, added to the intarwebz taking something and going to extremes. Not privy to any information here, so i don't know what is going on, but *anyone* can edit the wiki, and no one has edited this out. I contemplated doing so myself, but decided against it for now. Even if the statement has validity, it is at the very least out of place.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
        From the Alpha 1 release notes:

What we know
        That the Kubuntu team will produce a functional and complete 15.10 in October 2015.

What we don't know
        Anything else (including current and future LTSes) that might or might not happen post 15.10 release.

Given that no other information has been made public yet, whatever anyone says is mere speculation. Let's try to keep that to a minimum. Remember what happened a few years ago when Canonical decided it would no longer pay Jonathan to spend working hours on Kubuntu. There was much confusion because of so many guesses being thrown around as assertions of fact.

+10000

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          I am guessing a blowing of steam, added to the intarwebz taking something and going to extremes. Not privy to any information here, so i don't know what is going on, but *anyone* can edit the wiki, and no one has edited this out. I contemplated doing so myself, but decided against it for now. Even if the statement has validity, it is at the very least out of place.
          But this change was added by JR himself. Why would you want to change it? I think it's entirely appropriate -- the future of Kubuntu feels uncertain. Well, now I'm probably speculating!

Comment

Well, not appropriate for an alpha release, rather, barring any other developments.

It is difficult NOT to speculate, to be honest.

Comment

Actually, some interesting history.

Comment

Yup, I wasn't the only one then, lol!

Comment

Ubuntu and the CC really destroyed it all for me, really. Lost all faith in what they can provide per Open Source commitments and any "team" attitude they think they are portraying. I will eventually move on if I see 15.10 not as it should be and that a LTS on the Kubuntu side fails.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise View Post
                    Ubuntu and the CC really destroyed it all for me, really. Lost all faith in what they can provide per Open Source commitments and any "team" attitude they think they are portraying. I will eventually move on if I see 15.10 not as it should be and that a LTS on the Kubuntu side fails.
                    That's pretty much how I feel as well. Unless day has become night, good has become evil or "States" means Federal government, the word "uncertain" means that the future of Kubuntu is not assured beyond 15.10. I was planning to run my 14.04 LTS until 17.04 LTS was released and continue on with it. Unless Kubuntu rebases on Debian and not Ubuntu, which I doubt it will do, I have decided to forgo the "uncertainty" and make Debian Jessie KDE my primary distro, running btrfs. It will be a massive move for me but I will do it at my leisure and not under duress from having Kubuntu's knees cut out from under it with the failure to release 17.04 LTS.

For me Kubuntu has ALWAYS been about KDE, my preferred UI since KDE 1.0 alpha in Sept of 1998. And THIS FORUM has been as much about KDE as it has been Kubuntu, so I have no plans to move elsewhere, and I won't be the only regular member here who does not run Kubuntu. Things happen, you make adjustments, you move continue on.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

On my side cannot move to Debian that easily because it lacks a recent NVidia blob.

However I agree it is barring any other development, even a 15.10 release. It is true that the CC attitude was disgusting, but now if JR wrote this from his own initiative it is also quite disgusting towards the Kubuntu community and users (even though this is the principle of a war). Now the only thing we can do is waiting, enduring FUD...

Changed again :
                      "The Kubuntu team are committed to releasing 15.10 in October" (by Valerie Zimmermann)

EDIT : switched to Debian. Could get up to date nvidia blob using SteamOS repo.

Comment

Well if there are no new versions after 15.10 there is always Windows 10 with its rolling release model.

Comment

(deleted)
                          Last edited by Ganton; Jun 27, 2015, 01:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                            I was planning to run my 14.04 LTS until 17.04 LTS was released and continue on with it. Unless Kubuntu rebases on Debian and not Ubuntu, which I doubt it will do, I have decided to forgo the "uncertainty" and make Debian Jessie KDE my primary distro, running btrfs. It will be a massive move for me but I will do it at my leisure and not under duress from having Kubuntu's knees cut out from under it with the failure to release 17.04 LTS.

For me Kubuntu has ALWAYS been about KDE, my preferred UI since KDE 1.0 alpha in Sept of 1998. And THIS FORUM has been as much about KDE as it has been Kubuntu, so I have no plans to move elsewhere, and I won't be the only regular member here who does not run Kubuntu. Things happen, you make adjustments, you move continue on.
                            Just for my sanity Jerry, the next LTS would be 16.04 right? If it gets there?
                            I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
                              Well if there are no new versions after 15.10 there is always Windows 10 with its rolling release model.
                              Uh oh. Ban NickStone!
                              I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
                                Just for my sanity Jerry, the next LTS would be 16.04 right? If it gets there?
                                My typo, you are correct. LTS's are released every two years and supported for five. When SABDFL made his first announcement about kicking the orphans to the curb and the creation of LTS releases with five year support and his Unity GUI scheme in 2012, my suspicion was/is that he was/is giving Ubuntu five years (2017) to make a dent in the PC market or he was pulling the plug. I figured that I'd run Kubuntu for another five years and see what happens. However, this dust-up shows that no matter how benevolent a dictator still shows his teeth when money is the gauge.

It's his money and he has the right to spend it how he wishes, but our UI directions have diverged. I appreciate all the fish and wish his business interests well but I have decided to move to the Mothership.
                                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                                X