This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
    Yup, Jonathan is full-time Kubuntu, Shadeslayer (Rohan Garg) is both KDE and Kubuntu, and Aurélien Gâteauas well, but I don't see him around often these days.

Volunteer devs are Scott Kitterman, Harald Sitter, Ovidiu-Florin Bogdan, and a few that pop in and out sometimes
    There are a small group of packagers, such as the ever-busy Scarlett Clark, and docs people like Aaron Honeycutt as well as community folks like Valorie Zimmerman. I used to fit into the Community area a little, but haven't yet found enough time to take on responsibilities again.
    This is not entirely accurate. Jonathan, Rohan and I (Harald) are currently working full time on Blue Systems projects (including Kubuntu). Aurélien is on a free software break and instead writing cool games for android http://greenyetilab.com/. Scott pretty much pulled out of development after the recent Kubuntu Council meeting https://skitterman.wordpress.com/201...-i-may-be-done. Actual volunteer developer at the time of writing is only Scarlett with Ovidiu having done some packaging but presently mostly doing web and marketing things as well as development in KDE.
    apachelogger, Kubuntu Core Developer and Master of the Minions.

Comment

Originally posted by apachelogger View Post
      This is not entirely accurate. Jonathan, Rohan and I (Harald) are currently working full time on Blue Systems projects (including Kubuntu). Aurélien is on a free software break and instead writing cool games for android http://greenyetilab.com/. Scott pretty much pulled out of development after the recent Kubuntu Council meeting https://skitterman.wordpress.com/201...-i-may-be-done. Actual volunteer developer at the time of writing is only Scarlett with Ovidiu having done some packaging but presently mostly doing web and marketing things as well as development in KDE.
      Thanks for the clarification, apachelogger!

Comment

SOAPBOX:

Just reading more into it and the further releases by CC it is clearly a lawyer driven enterprise and because Jonathan was vocal about "IP" practices and that stepped on what Shuttleworth wants to do, charge for the use. It's all lawyer derived political $h!t. What I'm hoping is that Blue Systems can get the backing they need to take Kubuntu to the next level without the "buntu". Clearly the term Ubuntu has been twisted by lawyer drivel as always they do for anything. CC is a disgrace to the term.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise View Post
          SOAPBOX:

Just reading more into it and the further releases by CC it is clearly a lawyer driven enterprise and because Jonathan was vocal about "IP" practices and that stepped on what Shuttleworth wants to do, charge for the use. It's all lawyer derived political $h!t. What I'm hoping is that Blue Systems can get the backing they need to take Kubuntu to the next level without the "buntu". Clearly the term Ubuntu has been twisted by lawyer drivel as always they do for anything. CC is a disgrace to the term.
          There is a lot more to this, like
          Details on Incoming Funds - October 2012 to April of 2013. or what happened to them?.
          https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...ay/000548.html

donation to flavours in 2012
          https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...ay/000484.html

and a link for Canonical,
          http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/acco...=9780470246009
          Last edited by Danum; May 30, 2015, 06:04 PM.

Comment

OK, the last link was great!

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise View Post
              what Shuttleworth wants to do, charge for the use
              I'm not sure I follow this. Mind explaining your reasons a bit more?

Comment

Originally posted by xennex81 View Post
                Someone said that Shuttleworth wants to charge derivatives for the use of Ubuntu binaries. Is this true?
                I don't know the details of the IP licensing dispute, but I understand that Canonical's lawyers either are, or have been, in discussion with the Software Freedom Law Center. The SFLC go after GPL-violators, so they Canonical won't get an easy ride there.

However, it's too easy to mix up licensing and trademark issues. Canonical own the *buntu trademarks, including kubuntu. That means they can attach pretty much any conditions they like to the use of the trademark, incluing a requirement to kiss Shuttleworth's feet and/or sacrifice your first born if they so desire. Free software projects in turn are free to decline those terms and not use the *buntu trademarks anywhere whilst still using the source code.

It's down to trademark issues, not software licensing, that you get iceweasel in debian rather than firefox.

What I don't get though is who can actually afford to pay for a binary license, even if Canonical agree something legal with the SFLC? Most free software projects are run on a shoestring and simply don't have the spare cash to pay. I bet that even Mint or Blue Systems could not afford to pay enough for a license to cover what Canonical must be paying in legal fees to sort the mess out.

My best guess with this binary licensing issue is that it is aimed at the cloud software market where ubuntu has had a lot of success and actually makes some money. Probably Canonical want to make sure no commercial company copies and exploits ubuntu for cloud servers and hence robs them of some income. *buntu flavours like kubuntu are probably just caught in the cross-fire with this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                  Should it it be based on stable or Sid? I'd vote stable because a distro the is both polished and stable is, for me preferable to bloodshed. One of my pet peeves is development advancing to the next release without adequately addressing the nagging or annoying bugs in the current release. My experience with Kubuntu is that its LTS is STABLE.
                  In an ideal world we would have both - a stable LTS based on Jessie, and a bleeding-edge rolling release based on Sid.

Of course that would take significantly more resources.....

Comment

The information I've been seeing is about charging for the use of their code. Trademark (which I do understand that to a degree) and other fees and such. If that information I've read is wrong then so be it but the amount of information seems to indicate that for the most part it's correct.

Now, it seems to me I remember a tiff with the Debian group not so dissimilar. Canonical wasn't communicating upstream there. So seems to be they want it their way only. No respect for Canonical.

Comment

Originally posted by bendy View Post
                      My best guess with this binary licensing issue is that it is aimed at the cloud software market where ubuntu has had a lot of success and actually makes some money. Probably Canonical want to make sure no commercial company copies and exploits ubuntu for cloud servers and hence robs them of some income.
                      Their income is from services and tools -- Landscape, BootStack, Ubuntu Advantage (info). Not, notably, from the binaries of the operating system. If they started charging for that, I'd wager that a lot of Ubuntu instance starts on Amazon Web Services would rapidly move to a different distro.

Interesting reading...
                      http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online...cial-statement

Comment

My feeling is GreyGeek is writing something very solid here. My impression was that the discontent with Riddell stems from his disagreement. It seems political goals are being furthered. We may only know the tip of the iceberg. But it came to me across, earlier even, that the fight with Riddell is all about dismembering Kubuntu? It seems to match up. I feel so powerless but that is more my personal life. I have been disempowered, or allowed that to happen.

Comment

I really don't think there is any real legitimate business in selling binaries (and/or charging distributors for licenses to use the binary repos), there are too many free options available and ubuntu doesn't really bring anything new to the table. It's been attempted before, without success.

But you can try to hinder competition to your existing business (support, server, cloud, etc.) with murky licensing terms of your binaries, which I think is Canonical's end game here (unless SFLC puts an end to it).

Comment

The underlying fact is this: Unity and Gnome are crap. I'm not just expressing a personal preference here. The huge up take of Mate and Cinnamon are testament to that fact. Contry to what some people have said Mark Shuttleworth is totally correct to see Kubuntu as a threat. KDE was the dominant Linux Desktop before Ubuntu bigged up Gnome. KDE is the best desktop GUI to promote the growth of Desktop Linux. Its just not the best desktop to support Canonical's Phone / Tablet ambitions. Which is where they think the money is.
                            Last edited by Rich Oliver; Jun 01, 2015, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                              ... But you can try to hinder competition to your existing business (support, server, cloud, etc.) with murky licensing terms of your binaries, which I think is Canonical's end game here (unless SFLC puts an end to it).
                              I agree. As I read it, .i.e, IMO, the goal of SABDFL is to choke off the Ubuntu orphans and their KDE & Gnome desktops. Charging the orphans for the Ubuntu base binaries & brands would be an effective way to do that. It certainly is NOT about creating an income source out of Kubuntu and the other orphans.

Originally posted by Rich Oliver View Post
                              The underlying fact is this: Unity and Gnome are crap. I'm not just expressing a personal preference here. The huge up take of Mate and Cinnamon are testament to that fact. Contry to what some people have said Mark Shuttleworth is totally correct in see Kubuntu as a threat. KDE was the dominant Linux Desktop before Ubuntu bigged up Gnome. KDE is the best desktop GUI to promote the growth of Desktop Linux. Its just not the best desktop to support Canonicals Phone / Tablet ambitions. Which is where they think the money is.
                              Exactly. Before Shuttlesworth put Gnome on Ubuntu the KDE desktop was the most widely used Linux GUI. Qt was released as a proprietary tool with an agreement with the KDE Foundation that required Toltech to never let the GPL version of the API lag more than 12 months behind the commercial release. If they did, or went bankrupt, the proprietary source code for the API became free GPL code. If Toltech sold the Qt API the KF agreement required that the buyer had to agree to the KF agreement, which prevented Novell from killing it.

Gnome, built on C, uses callbacks, whereas Qt uses a very powerful and easy to use Signals & Slots. Using QBLOCK as the first command in custom classes adds memory management, garbage collection and pointer cleanup automatically, among other things.

Michael de Icaza didn't like the Qt API because of its proprietary roots, claiming that it wasn't truly GPL, and wrote Gnome using GPL tools and releasing it under the GPL. Shuttlesworth adopted Gnome and the gtk+ API. Later, because of their tablet and phone plans, they dropped Gnome and created Unity, which they control completely. Although Unity is under a GPL license, AFAIK, the only platform it is usable on is Ubuntu.
                              Last edited by GreyGeek; Jun 01, 2015, 07:48 PM.
                              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

@SR....Thanks for the link. That was interesting.

Comment

Working...
                                X