This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
    I also believe that SABDFL will never achieve the market penetration he is hoping for and he will close Canonical and turn Ubuntu loose for anyone else to adopt. Probably by the end of 2017.
    A couple years ago I probably would have agreed with you. Now, I'm not so sure. They're actually doing pretty well with cloud stuff and particularly OpenStack. As has been noted here previously, these services are turning a profit.

Perhaps what needs to happen is a clean break, where Canonical releases all claims on Ubuntu. Let Ubuntu become purely a community managed distro, free of Canonical dictatoria. Then Canonical can be just one of many Ubuntu "users," and can concentrate its efforts on enterprise services.

Comment

@SR;

That would be ideal. One could only hope but from what I've read lately from SABDFL he's a .... redacted.... I'm better than him!

Comment

@SR;
        That would be an excellent solution! We can hope!
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
          Emerge Open, a UK firm, offers paid support for Kubuntu. Profits are returned to the Kubuntu project.

http://kubuntu.emerge-open.com/buy
          $122.00 an hour ,,,,,I want a job @hear

I will follow if we go Debian or whatever ........I have a Debian-8-KDE Live-USB I made last week I think ,,,,,just been to lazy to install it yet LOL

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
            ....I have a Debian-8-KDE Live-USB I made last week I think ,,,,,just been to lazy to install it yet LOL

VINNY
            Vinny, I'd be curious to know how that Debian-8-KDE compares to kubuntu. I haven't install debian in years. I would miss the zsync capabilities using debian.
            Boot Info Script

Comment

Originally posted by verndog View Post
              Vinny, I'd be curious to know how that Debian-8-KDE compares to kubuntu. I haven't install debian in years. I would miss the zsync capabilities using debian.
              would you,,,,,,,,,,, https://packages.debian.org/sid/zsync

VINNY

EDIT: I'll install to one of my 2 Kubuntu-15.04 partitions this weekend
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I have always imagined myself as a person who would invent something new, I don't think the tried and tested ways of doing business would have any hold, or would hold any water. I think what Bandcamp does comes close, particularly because...

Bandcamp is first and for all a platform of independents. That's fun. People decide their own prices. Bandcamp takes a meagre share of sales. The platform is not very popular but I'd swear by it, for any form of alternative, independent music, it's the place to be.

They have some cloud service provider potential as well. All your purchases you can stream on your phone. The "unpopularity" of Bandcamp is mostly due IMHO due to the fact that independent is not mainstream.

There is a drawback of course, being with Bandcamp means you *have* to be independent in some way or another. Big artists would never go there?

It's all to do with contracts.

You would not be paying Canonical directly. It would turn into a form of nonprofit that puts some money aside for fun, as a weird way of saying that. That is to say, the contributors/members would have and receive benefits based on a "friendship" model that is close to a meritocracy but not as formal, no hard rules, the ones who invest time see some investment returned, and much of the benefits are group benefits, perhaps personal computer hardware (since you are a volunteer worker). Stuff like that. It falls outside the model of paid work, or paid work (the job positions) falls outside of this model. Then B-S would still be paying the developers but volunteers would see their life being made more easy. A bit of a trading system, not much monetary, but you give your effort and the effort gives natural goods back to you. Benefits, not necessarily salary.

Then you can have a dual citizenship where the project supports itself (and pays for upstream demands) but the 'employer' serves as the source of (full time) employment for a few, or some. That is the only thing that needs to be somewhat cleanly delimited.

These payments in the form of benefits are decided by the group, the group gets to decide who's next to receive something. It is based on positivity and friendship and treating each other with respect. In that condition no hard rules are necessary. I think the core group is already following that principe. It would make life a little bit easier for some, without making these benefits the reason for anyone to join.

Suppose this model would come to exist. You'd develop a payment platform with services probably for Kubuntu or Kubuntu/Debian alone. Only friended projects join, you might think of Mint. When the platform is there, additional services might be purchased. The Kubuntu product would then form the basis of additional products being sold. Since the developers and payments are for fun, ideally this is also a thing that is not with hard rules. Someone might decide to put a product up on the website and decide his own price, or give away free. You'd get a bit of a Sourceforge model. Projects of the month, etcetera, but the focus is on friendly computing.

The sort of products you'd buy or get would be: a special boosted app for cloud providers, such as a much better Dropbox client. A streaming program for Bandcamp, that sort of thing, not necessarily that. It would be the kind that provides fun and value. How about a wiki package that provides a browser with a nice user interface based on some Mozilla component and that you can move around easily, and a good theme for the wiki. It's based on added value and interesting user experience.

That's the sort of stuff you could sell, it would be based on fun and not necessarily such a dry focus on "productivity", since these have no added value to present as a package on the Kubuntu platform website/group. How about a better system troubleshooter or a program the likes of .. there was a windows program that was renowned as a system information tool. The whole idea is of course to provide more value and to bring more value to the system. Programs that are more tailored for the user.

Nothing that is going to be exceedingly complex or fundamental, but still added value that can make the experience better. Stuff that people are willing to pay for, no matter how little.

I think mostly actually cloud services are the attractive choice for applications, becauses the website itself would be a kind of cloud service and you could imagine based on existing platforms that you'd make wrapper or accessor tools much in the same vein that the Kubuntu driver program (the one that selects nVidia driver and so on) is an added value. That's the sort of thing that'd make Kubuntu greater. That is a great tool that doesn't exist in other distributions I think.

Anyway I can go on and on about this. It is just an imagining based on what you'd get as a primitive platform/website if people would be willing to get on with that (in order to sell the distribution itself). And perhaps a nice way to think of potentialities.
                Last edited by xennex81; Jun 05, 2015, 05:55 AM.

Comment

I've got Debian 8 KDE running as a guest OS in VirtualBox. Install is not significantly different. It comes up looking essentially identical. I installed the qt-Sdk without problems. Ice Weasel runs YouTube videos without problems. Continuing to test....
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                    I've got Debian 8 KDE running as a guest OS in VirtualBox. Install is not significantly different. It comes up looking essentially identical. I installed the qt-Sdk without problems. Ice Weasel runs YouTube videos without problems. Continuing to test....
                    What versions of KDE and Qt is included out of the box?

Have you tried enabling experimental to see if newer versions of these are available?

Comment

This release includes numerous updated software packages, such as:
                      • Apache 2.4.10
                      • Asterisk 11.13.1
                      • GIMP 2.8.14
                      • an updated version of the GNOME desktop environment 3.14
                      • GNU Compiler Collection 4.9.2
                      • Icedove 31.6.0 (an unbranded version of Mozilla Thunderbird)
                      • Iceweasel 31.6.0esr (an unbranded version of Mozilla Firefox)
                      • KDE Plasma Workspaces and KDE Applications 4.14.2
                      • LibreOffice 4.3.3
                      • Linux 3.16.7-ckt9
                      • MariaDB 10.0.16 and MySQL 5.5.42
                      • Nagios 3.5.1
                      • OpenJDK 7u75
                      • Perl 5.20.2
                      • PHP 5.6.7
                      • PostgreSQL 9.4.1
                      • Python 2.7.9 and 3.4.2
                      • Samba 4.1.17
                      • Tomcat 7.0.56 and 8.0.14
                      • Xen Hypervisor 4.4.1
                      • the Xfce 4.10 desktop environment
                      • more than 43,000 other ready-to-use software packages, built from nearly 20,100 source packages.
                      I haven't investigated "Experimental" yet.
                      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iBdIWnCwkHM

Experimental:
                      https://packages.debian.org/experimental/kde/
                      Last edited by GreyGeek; Jun 05, 2015, 02:41 PM.

Comment

The daily iso has stalled at June 5. Hope this is not related. Who actually spins the iso's and uploads them?
                        Klaatu Barada Nikto

Comment

No, it is not related.
                          Probably still having serious problems with the iso past June 5:
                          http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/m...nes/340/builds

And at least some of the devs were over on this side of the pond
                          http://jriddell.org/2015/06/09/hangi...-homies-in-la/

Comment

Edit:
                            https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...ne/000646.html
                            Last edited by gnomek; Jun 25, 2015, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Just read the release notes for 15.10 Alpha 1 and saw "Updates, bug fixes and future releases are currently uncertain. " That has me worried now. Is that an official statement, or a community member just blowing steam? What about the LTS release? https://wiki.kubuntu.org/WilyWerewolf/Alpha1/Kubuntu
                              Last edited by 67GTA; Jun 26, 2015, 09:12 AM.
                              Klaatu Barada Nikto

Comment

same here. There is contradictory information between the settlement of yesterday between the KC and UCC and the message from today.

So what's going to happen ? I hope Kubuntu won't disappear, really, as it is an amazing distro.

And what about LTS ?

Comment

Working...
                                X