X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amen hallelujah

Originally posted by xennex81 View Post
    You yourself are part of the answer to that question. It cannot be answered without your part as well. You determine its future, its outcome. There is no answer that is independent of you and your cherishment or lack thereof.

So the question cannot be answered without including your subject. So, what do you want the outcome to be? Do you want Kubuntu to continue? Then do it.
    Kubuntu will continue to be a going concern if we keep getting new users, new packagers and other developers. Do you have a skill that Kubuntu could use? Then volunteer. In particular, we need packagers right now. Although we've automated more and more, there is still a lot of fiddly packaging that needs people who care, and have a bit of time to help out.

Drop into #kubuntu-devel and say you want to help, or speak up on the Kubuntu devel list. If you have time in late July, join us at Akademy. Kubuntu has a bright future if you step forward and help out.

Valorie

Comment

Originally posted by mcNisse View Post
      I started with den debian and moved on to tanglu when it came out.
      I've been eyeing Tanglu for a while now, and will definitely give it a spin when they release the next version (with Plasma5).

My server installations have always been Debian, but wouldn't mind using a more desktop oriented (debian-based) distribution like Tanglu, with up-to-date kde/plasma on my warhorses.
      Last edited by kubicle; Jul 01, 2015, 01:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        Just the plain, naked truth!
        GreyGeek, now that I see you there, would you be so kind as to answer a question that I asked you in
        https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post369296
        ?

Note: It's better to answer it in that thread, as it has less readers than the "A must read, very important news" thread.
        Thank you!

Comment

I have been a member here since 2007 ! This is the best support forum. I have no plans to leave kubuntuforums .

I will however not be installing kubuntu for any new installs that i do upgrades for current kubuntu machines (almost all 14.04 ) will be upgraded to debian. My desktop still has kubuntu on it (have not turned it on in about a month). With kubuntu in the state its in i just can't install it on production machines that i have to support.If things work out for kubuntu and we no longer have to wonder if we will see a release after 15.10 this might change.

I have also been eyeing tanglu since it what seams like forever. i hope it works out because it will be a much better for debian then ubuntu is ever going to be.
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

I'm staying with Kubuntu 12.04 LTS until the end of it's support cycle, 2017. I continue to install and use the new releases in VirtualBox. I run other OS's in VirtualBox and could make the switch anytime but choose not to. I am very pleased with Kubuntu and continue to stay optimistic about the future.
            sigpic

Comment

There's lots of choices. Tanglu looks good (read their FAQ); I've seen it come up in discussions now and then. There's Puppy! There is! And Mint (get it and make it look and act like you want--I know people using it for serious, heavy work). I'll be hanging onto and in with Kubuntu indefinitely. I used 8.04 forever (thanks to Scott K.) until finally I was having slight difficulty with graphics displaying perfectly (like my Firefox page had trouble fitting on the screen just right, although I could scroll/zoom/adjust and read everything with a little effort).

I'm optimistic for Kubuntu, and will be here. You may have noticed that I continue to learn new things and write how-to's targeted as users here.
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

As to your other remark, it was not an euphemism, I was seriously on the run...
                As the world turns, huh? Everyone I know is on the run; some know it, some don't; and, actually some aren't (they are fringe Buddhists ... come to think of it, they are on the run from their worldly thoughts!).

OK, back to reality now. Let's see, what's the latest GRUB patch? ...
                An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by xennex81
                  No no, please not.

As to your other remark, it was not an euphemism, I was seriously on the run for the p., but with not enough resources to get anywhere. They caught me again. I'm now in a hospital with two broken heel bones. (Not kidding you in any way). Life's been such that [deleted by MOD] seems a better solution than anything else, at times.
                  "[deleted by MOD]" is never a solution, only a dodge. The only constant in the universe is change. After all, you are being treated for your injuries, you have access to a computer which I assume is running Kubuntu, and you have an Internet connection which allows you to post here. There are BILLIONS who have none of what you have and would swap with you in an instant. You know the old saying "Cheer up, things could be worse."
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Another saying comes to mind, one a retired Australian sailor (a drinking buddy of mine) used to say: You'll feel better when it quits hurting.

Yeah, GreyGeek hit it right, cheer up. It can always be worse, it's all relative, ya know. Play the game through, see what comes your way, have fun with it. You always have a back-up option, the [deleted option], what I call the "Smith & Wesson Therapy." It's nice to know you always have the option. It's even nicer--and more fun--to not exercise it. Besides it's as equally absurd--and devoid of meaning--as anything else ... maybe more so ...

Footnotes ... (Camus, clipped from Wikipedia)

Absurdism
                    The French Algerian absurdist philosopher Albert Camus saw the goal of absurdism in establishing whether suicide is a necessary response to a world which appears to be mute both on the question of God's existence (and thus what such an existence might answer) and for our search for meaning and purpose in the world. For Camus, suicide was the rejection of freedom. He thinks that fleeing from the absurdity of reality into illusions, religion, or death is not the way out. Instead of fleeing the absurd meaninglessness of life, we should embrace life passionately.

In Le Mythe, Camus suggests that 'creation of meaning' would entail a logical leap or a kind of philosophical suicide in order to find psychological comfort. But Camus wants to know if he can live with what logic and lucidity has uncovered – if one can build a foundation on what one knows and nothing more. Creation of meaning is not a viable alternative but a logical leap and an evasion of the problem. He gives examples of how others would seem to make this kind of leap. The alternative option, namely suicide, would entail another kind of leap, where one attempts to kill absurdity by destroying one of its terms (the human being). Camus points out, however, that there is no more meaning in death than there is in life, and that it simply evades the problem yet again. Camus concludes that we must instead "entertain" both death and the absurd, while never agreeing to their terms.
                    Be tough. Make the pure choice to simply be tough. Confront this philosophical challenge: How to enjoy this life, safely, peacefully, and respecting the choices of others.

Comment

We wish you get better, Xennex!

Comment

Comments about Tanglu made me courious so I downloaded the 64bit KDE version and installed it as a guest OS using Btrfs as the fs.
                        Without getting into specifics I can say it is not as polished as JessieKDE, which I am using right now. That's understandable since it is only about a year old. Matthias Klumpp is one of the two founders, which puts it a notch above the many other single or two person distros floating around out there in Linux dpace. It's too soon to know if it has sticking power to remain around for the next five years. Being totally dependent on one or two people makes it iffy.
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Interesting.

As for options, why do people here not like or mention Mint more than they do? Is it because Mint is too "simplistic," or not challenging enough or not customizable enough, or does it have real issues? I suppose I could d/l and try it, but just curious for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                            Footnotes ... (Camus, clipped from Wikipedia)
                            But why does there need to be meaning? The universe is basically the result of an accidental explosion. Then the earth appeared after 9 billion years of previous failures. Each of us is a one-in-500-million probability (sperm vs. sperm). Randomness rules everything. And yet -- here we are.

Searching for meaning within randomness is an exercise in futility. I focus on the here and now, the aspects of existence that are salient and tangible.

Comment

Yep, agree here. Meaning is illusory, though people try to find it in various theaters and myths and institutions, as Camus points out. At the very best, such issues (as meaning, origins) are unknowable (to the individual human). An individual may experience "meaning" when he/she reports "feeling good," and that works, as long as no one is hurt. You can feel good by enjoying a chocolate brownie, or by working the brain in a certain way (say by learning). And so those two activities could be said to be meaningful (to someone). The only thing we really have is the here and now--and, thanks, to physics, even those notions are relative.

Comment

As I said, if I see LTS suffer I will have to start looking but only until then.

As far as this Forum I'll never leave it. Too many folk here who taught me a few things and vice versa. Too many here that I actually tend to think of as friend. Besides, this has been the best KDE shop around!

Comment

Working...
                                X