This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lucid Release Schedule, Plans, KDE 4.4

Six of one, a half dozen of the other to me. I agree with Kubicle. Never really noticed a difference. I only have one real Java app for DosBOX and it seems happy.

Comment

I know this is related to licensing, and I know Sun made Java GPL not long ago ... here is my understanding but I am wrong.

Jave (the language) was always an open standard, but the discussion was about the VM (Virtual Machine). Sun, I believe, open sourced the technologies that allow to have a free as in freedom, first class VM, but this is not retroactive. Instead, a new version of JVM/JDK/JRE was created, and this is openjdk.
      http://www.sun.com/software/opensource/java/

Is that about right? I googled a couple times searching for a nice account of facts but couldn't find anything very useful.

Thanks!

Comment

Testers needed

> Kubuntu-devel >> testers needed for Alpha 3 candidates:
        Jonathan Riddell
        Wed Feb 24 21:39:10 GMT 2010

Please test candidates for alpha 3

http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/build/kubuntu/all

Jonathan
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

LTS ?

A thread from the > kubuntu-devel -- Kubuntu Developer Discussion

>> Fwd: Kubuntu 10.04 will be LTS but it is ready for that:
          Forwarded from kubuntu-users

-------- Original Message --------
          Subject: Kubuntu 10.04 will be LTS but it is ready for that
          Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 11:48:51 +0200
          Those who have been around long enough remember the discussion around
          the last Long Term Support release. Ubuntu 8.04 is LTS whereas Kubuntu
          8.04 is not, the difference being that it was deemed unsupportable to
          have an LTS with KDE 3.5 as base when KDE 4 was "almost released".

Now we see the coming release of 10.04 going to be Kubuntu LTS...
          Original > kubuntu-users -- Kubuntu user technical support
          >> Kubuntu 10.04 will be LTS but it is ready for that

With the Kubuntu 8.04, Jonathan Riddell told > Kubuntu LTS:
          Jonathan Riddell
          Thu Dec 20 17:05:33 GMT 2007
          We regularly review each release during the development cycle, keeping
          an eye on the work that our upstreams are doing. From time to time,
          this work reaches a natural rest point resulting in a particularly
          stable release. For these releases, Canonical makes a commercial
          commitment to provide support for a longer term and these become known
          as "LTS" releases.

Since KDE 4 is a major change to the platform, it is not currently at
          one of these natural rest points so would not be suitable for long
          term support....

Update 2010-03-18 > Kubuntu-devel >> Kubuntu beta 1 candiadate images need testing:
          Jonathan Riddell
          Thu Mar 18 02:43:16 GMT 2010
          On 18 March 2010 02:27, Pan Shi Zhu wrote:
          > PS: isn't the upgrade suppose to work for both karmic=>lucid and
          > 8.04=>10.04? then there should be a new test there in iso tracker.

Upgrades from hardy are not supported.

Jonathan
          The thread > Kubuntu beta 1 candiadate images need testing has more information.

Comment

Alpha 3

Official Announcements

> Lucid Alpha 3 released

> Lucid Alpha 3 Released (Kubuntu.org - News)

Warnings

This is an alpha release. Do not install it on production machines. The final stable version will be released on April 29, 2010.
            This is an alpha (pre-) release. Pre-release versions of Lucid are NOT encouraged for anyone needing a stable system or for anyone who is not comfortable running into occasional, even frequent, breakage. Pre-release versions ARE recommended for Kubuntu developers and those who want to help in testing, reporting, and fixing bugs.' Please do not use this in a production environment with data or workflows that you cannot do without

Good advices

> The usual Pre-Release Development Warnings and Caveats

> Common Problems / Frequently Asked Questions About Testing

Release notes

> Lucid Lynx Technical Overview

> Lucid Lynx Alpha3 Kubuntu

Bugs

> Reporting Bugs (Kubuntu)
            > Reporting Bugs (Ubuntu)
            > How to create useful crash reports
            > KDE Bug Tracking System

> Blueprint: Kubuntu's bug triage policy for >= Lucid
            Revise Kubuntu's bug triage policy to become more efficient by reducing the amount of bugs piped through and tracked in LP.
            > Kubuntu Specs Lucid Bug Triage Policy
            This specification defines what the bug triage policy for Kubuntu Lucid and future versions is.

Comment

Thanks! Nice reading I just did and interesting path for Kubuntu.

Comment

Moonrise -

I believe I've asked before, but...

Does Lucid work with your Intel GPU - Compositing and all?
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Actually haven't tried it yet. Was going to tomorrow. Downloading it now. I'll let you know.

Comment

This is a Beta3??!! WOW!!! Everything worked from boot (live CD) Graphics and all. Knetwork is still a little bit of a pill for wireless but other than that, my quick review was VERY satisfying. Compositing did work and worked WAY better than under KK. I like KK but LL makes it look like an infant. I had no graphic issues out of this laptop and it really seems to respond faster. I'm really debating hard if I should just go ahead and install on here. Ahhhhhhhh. What to do!!?? It really seems stable and functional.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
                      This is a Beta3??!! WOW!!! Everything worked from boot (live CD) Graphics and all. Knetwork is still a little bit of a pill for wireless but other than that, my quick review was VERY satisfying. Compositing did work and worked WAY better than under KK. I like KK but LL makes it look like an infant. I had no graphic issues out of this laptop and it really seems to respond faster. I'm really debating hard if I should just go ahead and install on here. Ahhhhhhhh. What to do!!?? It really seems stable and functional.
                      Moon, you're tempting me ...... write back quick if it all crashes!

Comment

Plasma crashed once but recovered itself. I think I crashed it though playing around with widgets. Have to manually load Color themes and other themes KDE normally would allow you to download from KDE-Look. When shutting down, I actually finally had to push the power button (after it ejected the Live CD properly). All in all I'm very impressed. I just hope the Intel Video portion maintains itself through release. I'd hate to see them go backwards again on that one. the Video portion is what had me really pleased. I think this is the first time in a very long time that I had no issues with a LiveCD and the Intel Graphics. My laptop seemed very happy.

Comment

Plasma crashed once but recovered itself. I think I crashed it though playing around with widgets. Have to manually load Color themes and other themes KDE normally would allow you to download from KDE-Look. When shutting down, I actually finally had to push the power button (after it ejected the Live CD properly). All in all I'm very impressed. I just hope the Intel Video portion maintains itself through release. I'd hate to see them go backwards again on that one. the Video portion is what had me really pleased. I think this is the first time in a very long time that I had no issues with a LiveCD and the Intel Graphics. My laptop seemed very happy.
                          Great, how is HD flash video? (at leas in my mini it's choppy in Hulu HD (or even youtube HD) -- thanks!

Comment

KDE SC 4.4.1

> KDE Software Compilation 4.4.1 Release Announcement:
                            KDE Software Compilation 4.4.1 Out Now: Codename "Clara"

KDE Community Ships First Translation and Service Release of the 4.4 Free Desktop, Containing Numerous Bugfixes, Performance Improvements and Translation Updates

March 2nd, 2010. Today, KDE has released a new version of the KDE Software Compilation (KDE SC). This month's edition of KDE SC is a bugfix and translation update to KDE SC 4.4...

> KDE 4.4.1 Changelog

Kubuntu announcement:
                            > Kubuntu.org News

Lucid repositories are updating:
                            > Lucid-changes -- Lucid Lynx archive upload notification list
                            >> The Lucid-changes Archives
                            >>> March 2010 Archives by date

Comment

This is encouraging. I started using kubuntu lucid testing but ran into some issues and it conflicted with testing ubuntu lucid ,so I opted for using KK and will wait for the release instead. I have my hands full with ubuntu lucid at the moment.

I like KK alot, I hope it works well with my setup.
                              Boot Info Script

Comment

Firefox integration

Earlier > Topic: Nice KDE/Firefox integration on openSUSE

> Bug #494067: Provide better Firefox KDE integration
                                > [ubuntu/lucid] kmozillahelper 0.6-0ubuntu1 (Accepted):
                                Description:
                                kmozillahelper - Integration of Mozilla applications with KDE
                                Launchpad-Bugs-Fixed: 494067

Comment

Working...
                                X