X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lucid Release Schedule, Plans, KDE 4.4

KDE 4.4.0 Status

When doing a fast scan of the compilation status > Lucid-changes >> February 2010 Archives by date. It seems that the i386/amd64 packages are compiling fine. Most of them has "Successfully built" status.

The > kdeutils (ark etc) has "Failed to build" (amd64) and the > kdeplasma-addons is waiting other packages ("Dependency wait").
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131
      KDE 4.4.0 Status

When doing a fast scan of the compilation status > Lucid-changes >> February 2010 Archives by date. It seems that the i386/amd64 packages are compiling fine. Most of them has "Successfully built" status.

The > kdeutils (ark etc) has "Failed to build" (amd64) and the > kdeplasma-addons is waiting other packages ("Dependency wait").
      Good to know, but I still see two blocked updates (one of which is no less than kdebase-data). I don't think it's safe yet.

BTW, I don't know how they handle this in the stable repositories, how do they ensure people will not get caught inbetween a massive upgrade of interdependent packages? Do they take the server down temporarily? Or do a bottom up approach where the dependency is uploaded first and the dependent package next? Or nothing? (the last option would be scary, but then people would get broken upgrades all the time)

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
        BTW, I don't know how they handle this in the stable repositories, how do they ensure people will not get caught inbetween a massive upgrade of interdependent packages? Do they take the server down temporarily? Or do a bottom up approach where the dependency is uploaded first and the dependent package next? Or nothing? (the last option would be scary, but then people would get broken upgrades all the time)
        These big upgrades are not uploaded to the "stable" repos (which are, as named, "stable"...and generally only get security updates/small fixes). Big upgrades happen on devel version (where people are expected to be able to handle them) and/or unofficial kubuntu ppas (where the staging repo can be used to build)

Comment

sure, but how about the security/bug fix upgrades, that's what i had in mind. many times you get a libc, linux-kernel and some related, crucial packages, all upgraded at once. oh, I guess they first upload all the packages and then update the sources list.maybe the have control over that. Also, the package manager will refuse to upgrade packages until all dependencies are satisfied (but the latter can fail if dependencies are not perfectly set up).

Comment

Upgrading

183 upgraded, 6 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
            (There are still "old" RC packages)

Few hickups:

1) Error:
            E: Couldn't configure pre-depend virtuoso-opensource-6.0-bin for virtuoso-opensource-6.0,
            probably a dependency cycle.
            sudo died with exit status 100
            Installing:
            Code:
            sudo apt-get install virtuoso-opensource-6.0-bin
            Processing triggers for man-db ...
            Setting up virtuoso-nepomuk (6.1.0-0ubuntu1) ...
            Setting up virtuoso-opensource-6.0-bin (6.1.0-0ubuntu1) ...
            Upgrading again...

2) Error:
            Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
            update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-12-generic
            cpio: ./lib/udev/firmware.sh: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
            update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-12-generic
            dpkg: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
            E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)
            sudo died with exit status 100
            There are few solutions:

> Re: Todays upgrade breaking my system?
            > [SOLVED] Problem with update-initramfs after upgrade

A bug report (several duplicates):
            > Bug #519967: update-initramfs: cpio: ./lib/udev/firmware.sh: Cannot stat: No such file or directory

Reboot and...
            kde4-config --version
            Qt: 4.6.1
            KDE Development Platform: 4.4.00 (KDE 4.4.0)
            kde4-config: 1.0
            [img width=400 height=283]http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/7885/kubu.png[/img]

Comment

All I have to say about SC 4.4 is WOW. That is really a nice polished look. There are a few itty bitty things I've noticed. Mostly my logon screen. I think it is more X then anything. While there I restarted X and the issue went away. I did find the "Removable Devices" settings. That is a nice feature! Everything seems OK. Time will tell, but I'm impressed! I do have to ask. I have several Python packages for 4.4 that were blocked. Any reason why?

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
                I have several Python packages for 4.4 that were blocked. Any reason why?
                I think it's because not everything was recompiled for KDE 4.4, which is why I didn't upgrade the main Kubuntu install. I am running it in a test Lucid partition, and nothing is blocked, because everything is using the latest packages

In the main partition I'll try to be patient and wait for 4.4.1, hopefully in 3 wekks or so (I think they try to stick to a monthly point release).

Comment

About tabbed/grouped windows

The KDE 4.4 has an option to group the windows together IF the window decoration is supporting this. At the moment (i think) the only one is the default Oxygen theme.

[img width=400 height=219]http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/493/groupk.png[/img]

Here are the Bespin developers thoughts > Bespin KDE-Look; Theme/Style for KDE 4.0:
                  windows grouping
                  by D-- on: Dec 10 2009

do you have any plan to port the windows grouping thing in kde 4.4 to bespin?

Re: windows grouping
                  by thomas12777 on: Dec 10 2009

Short version:
                  probably not unless someone convinces me that this is not just a giant hype (i've used and still use (open|flux|black)box for a long time and the only things i ever stacked were some xterms...)
                  So unless someone can explain what's great about tabbing e.g. amarok and firefox i have little interest in supporting this, sorry :-(

Comment

I have noticed that Amarok consistently crashes now. Related to the Python packages? Maybe, but that version of Amarok was already proving to me to have stepped backwards.

Comment

The KDE 4.4 has an option to group the windows together IF the window decoration is supporting this. At the moment (i think) the only one is the default Oxygen theme.

I tested a bit in Lucid, it seems useful, especially for applications that don't provide tabbing (or in cases where you want different applications to look as tabs of a larger mega-app.

To test: middle click on the top frame of the window, drag and drop on the top frame of another window.

The one thing I noticed is that it only works with KDE apps. I am sure this limitation will be overcome at some point, since this seems to be a window manager (KWin) feature, and the window manager owns the frame as far as I know.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
                        I have noticed that Amarok consistently crashes now. Related to the Python packages? Maybe, but that version of Amarok was already proving to me to have stepped backwards.
                        Well, I decided to delete all Amarok configurations in the "config" folder and deleted the Amarok folder itself in the "apps" folder and all is well. Perfect I might say. I'll try the CD Play from Device Manager and see what happens.

Comment

rog thanks that would explain why i can't use grouping on my computer, i am using the "Aurorae Decoration Theme Engine" to do my window borders. do you know if there are plans to support this theme engine with grouping (i really like how the engine supports the "Get Hot New Stuff" feature)
                          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48

rog thanks that would explain why i can't use grouping on my computer, i am using the "Aurorae Decoration Theme Engine" to do my window borders. do you know if there are plans to support this theme engine with grouping (i really like how the engine supports the "Get Hot New Stuff" feature)
                            I think it will
                            http://www.undefinedfire.com/kde/window-tabbing-merged/

Comment

I never heard of Aurorae until now. I like that engine! Finally have a window deco that compliments my DT. I wonder why the normal Kwin decos never have any newer themes or did I miss those somewhere?

Comment

sweet more great news from rog

@moonrise, yea i really like how the aurorae engine makes it easy to add and manage themes instead of having to install a bunch of deco sets. and unlike older themeable engines this one fits in perfectly w/ kde4's new stuff features. i think in time it may become the default engine.
                                Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                                (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
                                X