This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jaunty Release Schedule, Plans, KDE 4.2

Thanks ROG! Will that work on 8.10 that is running KDE4.2? I'd like to help KB3 to migrate away from KDE3 code.

Comment

Nice find Rog, now the only things that prevent me from going kdelibs5 only are kaffeine and guarddog (and kaffeine I can do without since I have vlc and dragonplayer).

So I'm officially looking for a KDE4 firewall tool to replace guarddog (at least for the time being), I might take a look at iqfirewall and/or qufw. Any user experiences?

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131
        Catalyst/fglrx

The Jaunty has a pre-release version of the AMD propietary driver > Unreleased ATI Catalyst Driver Appears In Ubuntu.

It could work with the newer AMD hardware > AMD Dropping R300-R500 Support In Catalyst Driver

There are several topics at the > Threads in (Ubuntu) Forum : Jaunty Jackalope Testing and Discussion (down at the moment: The database has encountered a problem ...)

One more > Open-Source ATI Graphics In Ubuntu 9.04

Thanks for that

Here I must confess my ignorance

It was the fglrx that busted my pc thursday after the new upgraded kernel

This was why I had to reinstall

Is this xf86-video-radeonhd driver any better or should I leave well alone until alberto miloni upgrades his excellent envyng which worked brill for me in Hardy?

Any ideas?
        Running Kubuntu Karmic Koala&nbsp; with KDE 4.3 at home<br /><br />Kubuntu user 24342<br /><br />Running Dell Inspiron 530 Dual Core 3ghz<br /><br />and also running Kubuntu on a Lenovo thinkpad using a live pen drive<br /><br />Still no Microsoft here!

Comment

k3b

Will that work on 8.10 that is running KDE4.2?
          It could be, if you can install it (dependencies ?).

Here, with the CD-RW, erase, data project burn and iso burn were working fine. There has been a upgrade > k3b for kde4 in kubuntu jaunty?
          Anthony Mercatante

Hi,

I've just pushed a major SVN update that seems to be fixing quite a lot of
          issues.
          I've just performed several isos burning (both cds and dvds) and everything
          seems to work as expected on my side.

Feel free to report any test you've performed.

Tonio
          BUT this is a development version (svn/1.6). Planned k3b 2.0 > K3b 2.0 coming to KDE4 mid-2009, Qt forked for port. So maybe the Karmic will get that and it will get backported to the Jaunty.

Update

Anthony Mercatante told > k3b for kde4 in kubuntu jaunty?:
          ...It is unfortunatelly too late by far to get k3b in for jaunty....

A backport might be considered as soon as karmic dev cycle starts...

Firewall

I might take a look at iqfirewall and/or qufw. Any user experiences?
          I shortly tried ufw-kde (python) but as said in the > Kubuntu Todo-list. It's status is "Postponed". Maybe with the Karmic...

More of the KDE frontend for UFW:

> ufw-kde - a simple firewall for Kubuntu users
          > KDE Uncomplicated Firewall
          > PPA for Roderick B. Greening

AMD drivers

Is this xf86-video-radeonhd driver any better...
          Well - - it depends of your hardware. Here the opensource Ati driver is working fine with the default settings but sometimes it (as the fglrx) needs tinkering with the xorg.conf > radeon driver improvements.

One link more > Jaunty - ATI video card
          Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
          1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
          2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

thanks for that last link
            Running Kubuntu Karmic Koala&nbsp; with KDE 4.3 at home<br /><br />Kubuntu user 24342<br /><br />Running Dell Inspiron 530 Dual Core 3ghz<br /><br />and also running Kubuntu on a Lenovo thinkpad using a live pen drive<br /><br />Still no Microsoft here!

Comment

BETA

Note: This is a beta release. Do not install it on production machines. The final stable version will be released on April 23rd, 2009.

> ubuntu devel announcements

> JauntyJackalope/TechnicalOverview
              Known Issues

As is to be expected at this stage of the release process, there are several known bugs that users are likely to run into with Ubuntu 9.04 Beta. We have documented them here for your convenience along with any known workarounds, so that you don't need to spend time reporting these bugs again:
              • A bug in an Ubuntu-specific patch to X server logging code will cause X sessions to crash after they have been running for longer than a day. Users encountering this bug should upgrade to the latest version of the xserver-xorg-core package, which will be available immediately after the beta release.
              • Users of Intel i8x5 video chipsets are unable to load X, getting an error message of "Fatal server error: Couldn't bind memory for BO front buffer". As a workaround, use the VESA driver by logging into a text console, running "sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf", and adding the line Driver "vesa" to the Device section. If in doubt, please do not upgrade to Ubuntu 9.04 Beta yet.
              • Ctrl-Alt-Backspace is now disabled, to reduce issues experienced by users who accidentally trigger the key combo. Users who do want this function can enable it in their xorg.conf, or via the command dontzap --disable.
              • Ubuntu 8.10 systems installed from the desktop CD mistakenly had the lilo package installed as well as grub, although grub was used for booting. If you use the recommended Update Manager upgrade method, then the lilo package will be removed if it does not appear to be used. If you upgrade using some other method and are sure that you only use the GRUB boot loader, then we recommend that you remove the lilo package manually.
              • On the timezone map in the desktop CD installer, the markers for cities are displaced from their correct locations. Users should be aware of this issue when selecting their timezone. This bug will be resolved for daily builds immediately after the 9.04 Beta.
              • If any filesystems are mounted when starting the desktop CD installer, then a dialog labelled "Unmount partitions that are in use?" will be presented. Unfortunately, the buttons on this dialog box are poorly named: "Continue" attempts to unmount filesystems and then repeats, which will often just display the same dialog box again, while "Go Back" ignores this condition and continues. This will be corrected for the final release.
              • On desktop installations from USB disks, such as typical Ubuntu Netbook Remix installations, the installer displays a warning about the fact that the installation medium itself (often /dev/sdb) is mounted. This warning is unnecessary, because the fact that it is mounted is completely normal, and does not interfere with the user's ability to install the system to devices other than the USB disk itself. You should ignore this warning; note that in order to do so you will need to select "Go Back", due to the issue above.
              • In some cases, the "Prepare Disk Space" screen in the desktop installer displays obviously incorrect partition sizes in its graphical disk previews. This is only an error in the preview and does not reflect a problem with the partitioning changes that will actually be applied.
              • The mythtv frontend in mythbuntu fails to render fonts correctly when using video drivers other than the Intel or closed-source nVidia drivers. This issue is expected to be resolved for the final 9.04 release.
              • When installing to a system with another OS previously installed, the migration assistant will offer to migrate settings and documents even when the entire disk is being overwritten. The migration assistant will not be able to preserve documents when using the entire disk for installation.

Reporting bugs

It should come as no surprise that this beta release of Jaunty Jackalope contains other bugs. Your comments, bug reports, patches and suggestions will help fix bugs and improve future releases. Please report bugs through the Ubuntu bugtracker
              > Best practice for reporting bugs
              > ReportingBugs
              > Apport - Automatic crash reports

> JauntyJackalope/Beta/Kubuntu

NOTE: This is an beta (pre-) release. Pre-release versions of Jaunty are NOT encouraged for anyone needing a stable system or for anyone not comfortable running into occasional, even frequent, breakage. Pre-release versions of Jaunty ARE recommended for Kubuntu developers and those who want to help in testing, reporting, and fixing bugs. Please do not use this in a production environment with data or workflows that you cannot do without.

Installing 9.04 Beta

To upgrade from 8.10 follow these upgrade instructions.

The Beta release can also be downloaded from the following url:...

What's New?

Jaunty Jackalope includes a brand new desktop containing many bug fixes, new configuration options, as well as many new and updated applications. Below are some highlights:...

Known Issues
              • Kmail sieve functionality is buggy and causes CPU hang. You shouldn't use it at the moment.

Feedback

We want to hear what you think about the beta release of Kubuntu 9.04, the Jaunty Jackalope. We want to know if it Rocks, if it is just OK, or if it is flat out wrong. No matter the feedback, as long as it is in line with the Ubuntu Code of Conduct, we would like to hear it.

So what are you waiting for? Head on over to the Feedback Page and let us know!

Comment

Thanks Rog! With my great results from Alpha 6 testing, I'm ready to migrate my laptop over. I'll start that today! Ran the Alpha6 on it first yesterday and was very pleased. Worked with no issues. So, here I go!

Comment

I have been on Alpha 6 now with no probs and will update...rather than reinstall..hmm maybe will reinstall when it is released officially. I must say it has been nice to see how this has grown. Big thanks of course to those who have developed it

Comment

So far so good. A few weird occurrences on first reboot from an Internet Upgrade. Made a few tweaks and rebooted and so far so good. Really Polished. I like how the Kubuntu Boot Splash appears. Really Nice! New network Manager works great! Ahhhh. Kubuntu Team - Way To Go!!!!

Comment

KDE 4.2.2

> KDE4.2 Release Schedule
                      April 1st, 2009: Release KDE 4.2.2
                      > KDE 4.2.2 tarballs (try #1) uploaded
                      Date: 2009-03-27

Hi,

I've uploaded the KDE 4.2.2 tarballs last night (and forgot to announce them)...

Comment

KDE 4.2.2 packages should start dripping to the repos soon, as always, it's better to postpone the upgrade until you can get all the KDE essentials to avoid possible version conflicts.

KDE 4.2.2 release is due today, April 1st, and the biggest change will be dropping plasma and switching back to KDE3 desktop and kicker, with an option to use the gnome's panel as default to make switching from gnome easier.
                        http://www.kde-devel.org/announcement/987776

Comment

Now, who is going to really admit that they fell for this ...

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

KDE 4.2.2 release is due today, April 1st, and the biggest change will be dropping plasma and switching back to KDE3 desktop and kicker, with an option to use the gnome's panel as default to make switching from gnome easier.
                            http://www.kde-devel.org/announcement/987776
                            Great I hated KDE especially kde4 anyway and this is an easy way to go to gnome.

Can't wait to try it out
                            HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                            4 GB Ram
                            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

KDE 4.2.2

> KDE 4.2.2 Release Announcement

> KDE 4.2.2 Changelog

Comment

Release Candidate (one week before...)

NOTE: This is a (pre-) release. Pre-release versions of Jaunty are NOT encouraged for anyone needing a stable system or for anyone not comfortable running into occasional, even frequent, breakage. Pre-release versions of Jaunty ARE recommended for Kubuntu developers and those who want to help in testing, reporting, and fixing bugs. Please do not use this in a production environment with data or workflows that you cannot do without.

For the all Ubuntus > JauntyJackalope/TechnicalOverview

Note the "Known Issues"

For the Kubuntu > JauntyJackalope/RC/Kubuntu

For the Xubuntu > Xubuntu 9.04 Release Candidate Announcement

Comment

Working...
                                X