This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jaunty Release Schedule, Plans, KDE 4.2

Since the KpackageKit plan was posted under Kubuntu Jaunty, I would think synaptic will remain in the repo for the Gnome crowd (meaning it's available for you and me, too).

Comment

I hope so. Synaptic is a nice package manager. All I ask for, regarding a package manager in KDE, is the developers provide us with one that is at least as functional (if not more so) than Synaptic or what the pre-KDE 4.1 Adept Manager gave us.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

What I want to know is what was wrong with them just using Synaptic? Is it because it isn't written with the same code base as KDE?

Comment

Extracted from mornfall's Farewell, Adept:
          With Adept goes also libept, a more general-purpose library for working with APT. I will be around when people need me to fix it, but won’t add anything on my own. I am not even sure what is Enrico’s status on libept, but probably just consider libept as good as orphaned, too.
          libept0 is a dependency package in synaptic. Hmm.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

What I want to know is what was wrong with them just using Synaptic? Is it because it isn't written with the same code base as KDE?

> Qt vs GTK

and Kubuntu is trying to be a KDE (Qt) desktop.

There has been a proposition(s) that Koffice will be replace Open Office as default /1/ office pack:

> Is KOffice ready to replace OpenOffice.org in Kubuntu?
            > Topic: KOffice on Install

About Synaptic
            Does this also mean that Synaptic will be going as well?
            There is a GTK front-end for the PackageKit but the Synaptic is (and will be ?) default Ubuntu package manager. The repositories are full of packages that are not installed as default to the K/X/Ubuntu.

About adept

There was a proposition to replace adept as default Kubuntu package manager. Adept would have been an alternative (for those who want to use it) but not installed as default. That was not enough:
            > Farewell, Adept
            Since Kubuntu will be changing its default manager to KPackageKit (I wish everyone involved good luck), I have no further motivation to work on Adept at all.
            I think that the Jaunty will have Adept 3.0 in the repositories. If no one is willing to maintain /2/ Adept then it will be dropped from the repositories, maybe Kubuntu 9.10 (KK) ?.

/1/ Default
            Kubuntu (-desktop) is installing sertain packages as default, but there is no need to to use those packages.

There are also ways to to select which programs and apps to be installed (kde-core vs kubuntu-desktop) > Topic: installation & program selection

/2/ Adept is open source and as said
            > Farewell, Adept
            Of course, if anyone steps up for maintainership, I will happily delegate Adept to them...
            Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
            1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
            2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

> Qt vs GTK
              Figured as much. Yeah, I know about programming and I understand wanting to keep it the same across the board. I've been down the road at trying to keep up with multiple code bases. PITA.

As far as KOffice, I'm wiling to give it a whirl since they are making the file formats compatible with OO.

Comment

> EXT4

> Blueprints for Jaunty
                >> Ext4 by default
                >>> Ext4 by default - Ubuntuforums

and from the Phoronix: > Ubuntu 9.04 Receives EXT4 Support
                With the EXT4 file-system having been stabilized with the Linux 2.6.28 kernel, the Ubuntu developers are preparing to adopt this evolutionary Linux file-system update. EXT4 will not replace EXT3 as the default file-system until at least Ubuntu 9.10, but as of yesterday, Ubuntu 9.04 now has install-time support for EXT4. In this article we are looking at the EXT4 support within Ubuntu...

Comment

Cool! Nice new features there. I mean I can't live without my TB file I have here (kidding of course). That is great news though. Especially about the max number of sub-directories.

Comment

KDE 4.2 RC1 (4.1.96)

> kde-release-team >> kde-release-team / KDE 4.2 RC1
                    Dirk Mueller 2009-01-07

Hi,

I just finished uploading the first set of tarballs for RC1 under unstable/
                    Please let me know if you find any issues, I've not yet started testing them.

Release is 2 days after 4.1.4 (so next week thursday tentatively).
                    and Jaunty-changes January 2009 Archives
                    [ubuntu/jaunty] kde4libs 4:4.1.96-0ubuntu1 (Accepted)
                    [ubuntu/jaunty] kdepimlibs 4:4.1.96-0ubuntu1 (Accepted)
                    [ubuntu/jaunty] kde4bindings 4:4.1.96-0ubuntu1 (Accepted)

Update > KDE 4.2 RC Release Announcement

Comment

Uh-oh -- ext4?

OK, when is Beta coming out ..... :P I think I'm gonna have to buy another hard drive .... a real fast one ....

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                        Uh-oh -- ext4?

OK, when is Beta coming out ..... :P I think I'm gonna have to buy another hard drive .... a real fast one ....
                        You mean you're not going to try and break what you have! :P

Comment

Alpha 3

This is still an alpha release. Do not install it on production machines. The final stable version will be released on April 23rd, 2009.

> Jaunty Alpha 3 released
                          This is quite an early set of images, so you should expect some bugs. For a
                          list of known bugs (that you don't need to report if you encounter), please
                          see:

http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/jaunty/alpha3
                          > JauntyJackalope/TechnicalOverview
                          Known Issues

As is to be expected at this stage of the release process, there are several known bugs that users are likely to run into with Jaunty Alpha 3. We have documented them here for your convenience along with any known workarounds, so that you don't need to spend time reporting these bugs again:...
                          > JauntyJackalope/Alpha3/Kubuntu
                          Known Issues
                          • The amarok package has been updated to Amarok 2 for Alpha 3. Amarok 2 uses the mysql 5.1 embedded database for collection storage. These packages are not included on any Alpha 3 CD, but may be installed from the Ubuntu repository. For users of Kmail/Kontact, parts of the mysql 5.1 package conflict with parts of mysql 5.0 used by Akonadi, the Kmail/Kontact mail store. Amarok and Akonadi cannot be installed at the same time, so it is not currently possible to use both Kmail/Kontact and Amarok at the same time. Improvements in the packaging are in progress and this will be resolved in a later Alpha release.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
                            Originally posted by dibl
                            Uh-oh -- ext4?

You mean you're not going to try and break what you have! :P

Don't worry, I'm sure I'll break stuff in the process. Two operating systems and all my data on 5 hard drives -- how can I not get in a nice mess of trouble?

I've been looking for an excuse to replace one of my three 150G WD Raptors with a fast new 750G drive. It looks like March is the month!

Comment

Oh! March Madness!

Comment

Proceedings from UDS for Ubuntu 9.04

The Notes of the proceedings from the Ubuntu Developer
                                Summit for Ubuntu 9.04, which took place from 8-12 April in Mountain
                                View, CA, USA.

> UDSJaunty/Report
                                >> Desktop Track (KDE/Kubuntu)

The KPackageKit and Kubuntu Jaunty

> A thread at the kubuntu-devel January / KPackageKit

Comment

Working...
                                X