Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hardware issues - I'm just about hairless at this point. Some validation please.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
    Yup, still here and still working. 3 more years maybe, then I'm calling it quits.
    Well, I can recommend the first 10 years of retirement! The termination clause is rather extreme, however!
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

OK: new PSU installed.

Today, when work was done, I started playing War Thunder and after about 30 minutes - shutdown. Then I ripped the old PSU and it's cables out of the case and installed the new one and in about 10 minutes I was back up and running. Seems like the problem is solved.

Please Read Me

Comment

"Thermal" issues can be some of the most difficult issues to properly identify. However, when one experiences an instantaneous shutdown, one has to suspect the power supply, or a circuit directly connected to it.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          Yup, still here and still working. 3 more years maybe, then I'm calling it quits.
          I love retirement -- well, what's left of it after the consulting stuff. I've worked on cooking and grilling skills, worked my genealogy hobby, done some fun day trips like a run down to the totality zone of last summer's eclipse, and generally enjoyed living. I don't know where I ever found time to work full time!

Comment

Hardware issues - I'm just about hairless at this point. Some validation please.

When I retired 10 years ago I thought to myself, "Now I'll be able to write the code I want to write". Except for the occasional (and trivial) Bash script I haven't written a line of code, and haven't missed it. In fact, a client from 10-15 years ago, for whom I wrote a PLC app to run his specialized ag tractor, asked me to modify it. Not having looked at that code since 2008 I find myself struggling to understand what was, back then, easy to learn and use. Grey matter rot. [emoji20]

But, what I have enjoyed is doing things with my grandsons. Fishing, camping, nature identification walks, learning to make fire, star watching, playing Minecraft, going to movies, birthday parties, watching them play basket ball and baseball .... But, all that's over now. One has turned 16, got a car and found out about girls! [emoji3] The other got PS4 with several games and now there's no time for Minecraft because it's "too boring".

After having nearly lost my wife two years ago, and spending the last two years taking care of her, which has been a total joy, we've fell in love with each other ... again! [emoji4] Her heart is on the mend and her EKG is perfect. Mine, on the other hand, is now in continual asymptomatic AFib. But life is still good! I can still fix her breakfast every morning, help with the other meals, do the dishes, vacuum the floors, etc.

Here we are enjoying the total solar eclipse right outside our apartment. It's the first eclipse either of us have ever seen!
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Bug_and_July_EclipseWatching.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	643779
            Last edited by GreyGeek; Feb 10, 2018, 07:31 AM.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

It is the simple(est) of things in life that often have the most significance and/or meaning. Most people however, miss this point in life.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                It is the simple(est) of things in life that often have the most significance and/or meaning. Most people however, miss this point in life.
                Truer words were never written!

So, regarding the eclipse, here is my ride and my bride, waiting for the event. We found a nice roadside flat place along a state highway just northeast of Hopkinsville. I was so disappointed in my photographic failure to get a decent image of totality -- I used to be a reasonably adept photographer, but I failed to grasp the level of residual brightness from the corona, and my shots were all too washed out to see it.

Name:	ride&bride.jpg
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	643780

Comment

Maybe so, but the image in your mind; what you saw 'first hand', is maybe more important. I've rarely taken photos on the few journeys I've taken, as what I was seeing 'in the moment' was enough (for me).

Comment

Originally posted by dibl View Post
                    ... but I failed to grasp the level of residual brightness from the corona, and my shots were all too washed out to see it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7405[/ATTACH]
                    Ditto. In ONE pic on my iPhone 6+ camera I got a small black dot in the middle of a bright corona. I expected the environment to be much darker than it was at totality. It was more like dusk 15 minutes after the Sun had set because so much light was leaking in horizontally from all directions. The iPhone automatically adjusted its sensitivity and, as you can see in my photo, made it appear to be full daylight. [emoji20]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by GreyGeek; Feb 10, 2018, 07:34 AM.

Comment

My youngest daughter and I saw the totality in Columbia SC. We drove down overnight in my RV and slept at a rest stop so we could arrive early enough to get a good spot. A couple of thing were very interesting and unexpected:
                      1. As the totality approached, the crickets and other night dwellers activated. They stayed active and awake all the way through the eclipse.
                      2. You could see the eclipse approach by looking at the ground around the trees. The light through the leaves took on a scalloped shape, mimicking the occlusion on the ground.

Name:	20170821_131949.jpg
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	643781

Name:	20170821_144320.jpg
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	643782
                      Last edited by oshunluvr; Feb 10, 2018, 07:48 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

BTW, re. the topic of this thread...

I played War Thunder for several hours without issue. The new PSU is quieter than the old one and I believe it's expelling less warm air. No doubt it was running hot for a very long time. I've closed up the case and the office is much quieter now. Closing the case back up added 1°c to the CPU and 3°c to the GPU.

Please Read Me

Comment

That eclipse photo is exactly what mine looks like, zoomed in.
                          Did the trees in your location block the horizontal leak of light from the edges of totality, making the surroundings seem darker than it would be at mid-dusk?

Comment

PS - Describe War Thunder

Comment

War Thunder: Awesome, free, cross-platform combat game. You pilot either Tanks or Planes in WWII style battles one of two teams with other random players. You earn upgrades and new, better models through successful game play.

You can choose to pay to get better gear and play scheduled or special events.

https://warthunder.com/en

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                                PS - Describe War Thunder
                                https://warthunder.com/us

Comment

Working...
                                X