Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is some talk here of backporting patches to 12.04 for the sandy bridge problems. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/999910 I'm going to recover my 12.04 disk image and test it. Your voip/usb freeze is weird.
    Klaatu Barada Nikto

Comment

It took longer, but the 3.2.0-27.42 kernel still locks up. Maybe they need to scratch everything they have done since 3.0 and start over. LOL The last kernel to work with my machine was 2.6.39. The kernel devs changed something after 2.6.39. I have been forced to use Windows 7 for a while.:cry:
      Klaatu Barada Nikto

Comment

I know this is a generalization but I have watched videos on and off the net, transcoded, burned DVDs, all with multiple junk running in the background (pidgin, etc), I have not locked up once, using the typical repository nVidia driver and accept every update. Weird indeed. I've copied files to my usb stick, copied pictures from my Galaxy S II, etc. My computer hasn't even so much as burped or farted, lol. I've even installed webcamstudio to attend a video chat via tokbox/flash. I am boggled, heh.

Typical install of Kubuntu 12.04, oh, I should mention, I used the kubuntu-low-fat-settings package, I don't have indexing or anything like that running, only turned some of the eye-candy back on after the package was installed.
        Last edited by tek_heretik; Jul 06, 2012, 05:01 AM. Reason: grammer

Comment

Since AMD has decided to release a "legacy" driver for my 3 year old HD4570 that works with 3.4, I am downloading the 3.4.1 kernel to test on 12.04. I don't get any freezes on 12.10 with kernel 3.5, but get kernel panics that dump me to a console every 30 minutes. What are they doing to these newer kernels
          Klaatu Barada Nikto

Comment

I got 35 mins out of 3.5 using nouveau on my old Geforce 6200. Was working well otherwise but it froze the gpu and went into a loop.
            sudo ppa-purge xorg-edgers
            Everything was working fine before I was just hoping to get 3.5 it did seem really smooth and fast booting.
            Guess I'll wait for it to get stable before trying it again. Linus will have 4 out the door by then the way they been moving.

Comment

35 minutes?

Are you monitoring the temp of your CPU & GPU? Sounds like a heat problem.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Well, I ran 2 days, but 3.4.1 finally locked up.
                Klaatu Barada Nikto

Comment

re: 35 mins
                  I wasn't monitoring, have had issues caused by sensors/nvidia-settings with this card in the past so I no longer bother. On a happier note the NV302.17 driver seems to run fine with 3.5.0-3-generic. At least thats what my 13 year old twins tell me after a few FaceBook sessions while I was at work.
                  Currently GPU 52°C CPU 57.5°C
                  I'll install a graphically intense screen saver or something and let it run tonight n recheck in the AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sixonetonoffun View Post
                    re: 35 mins
                    I wasn't monitoring, have had issues caused by sensors/nvidia-settings with this card in the past so I no longer bother. On a happier note the NV302.17 driver seems to run fine with 3.5.0-3-generic. At least thats what my 13 year old twins tell me after a few FaceBook sessions while I was at work.
                    Currently GPU 52°C CPU 57.5°C
                    I'll install a graphically intense screen saver or something and let it run tonight n recheck in the AM.
                    Wow, that's pretty warm, my cores (not the 'overall' temp which usually says 30C) average 35-40C, my GPU 42C, and my mobo (northbridge) 45C (stock heatsink, no fan, stock heatsink too pretty to remove, lol).

Comment

Originally posted by tek_heretik View Post
                      Wow, that's pretty warm, my cores (not the 'overall' temp which usually says 30C) average 35-40C, my GPU 42C, and my mobo (northbridge) 45C (stock heatsink, no fan, stock heatsink too pretty to remove, lol).
                      I would agree, tek_heretik. Some GPUs & CPUs can max at 95C but I wouldn't think that an idle of 57C is normal.

I am running 40C and I've been playing Minecraft Tekkit Yogbox for the last three hours.
                      When I am stream a movie it may go to 47C and the air from the vent is warm, but never hot. Right now my fan is off and the vent is cool and the temp is 38C or 102F.

It sounds like either the CPU fins are plugged with dust, or the vents are, or both. Time to try a can of air or a heat stand with fan.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                        I would agree, tek_heretik. Some GPUs & CPUs can max at 95C but I wouldn't think that an idle of 57C is normal.

I am running 40C and I've been playing Minecraft Tekkit Yogbox for the last three hours.
                        When I am stream a movie it may go to 47C and the air from the vent is warm, but never hot. Right now my fan is off and the vent is cool and the temp is 38C or 102F.

It sounds like either the CPU fins are plugged with dust, or the vents are, or both. Time to try a can of air or a heat stand with fan.
                        Yeah but I built my machine myself, pretty much engineered the airflow too (balance of quiet and efficiency, and bought a case with a filter in the front and NO side vents to let even more dust in), overclocker's CPU cooler (see signature), etc. Forgot to mention, I don't overclock (no need) and have the CPU throttling enabled so my CPU is only running at 71% of its normal speed most of the time.
                        Last edited by tek_heretik; Jul 07, 2012, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Ah, so you have a home-built hot rod! Normal temps mean nothing, then.

Check the specs for your cpu and gpu and see what their rated maximum temps are.

Mine, for example, is rated at 90C (195F).

EDIT: I forgot to ask ... did you put thermal paste between your cpu and the heat sink?

Comment

Working...
                          X