Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question: Should I install the all headers or the amd64 headers or both.

Please Read Me

Comment

Running depmod.
      update-initramfs: deferring update (hook will be called later)
      Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
      run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms 3.4.1-030401-generic /boot/vmlinuz-3.4.1-030401-generic
      ERROR (dkms apport): kernel package linux-headers-3.4.1-030401-generic is not supported
      Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 3.4.1-030401-generic (x86_64)
      Consult /var/lib/dkms/nvidia-current/295.40/build/make.log for more information.
      This is pretty much what I expected. I guess I'll have to wait for the official backport. Too bad because the btrfs updates looked great...

Please Read Me

Comment

For headers, all is required on all machines, along with the appropriate amd64 or i386, depending on your architecture.

But, oshun, it appears this set of headers makes your nVidia drivers barf. Sigh.

Comment

Fintan: I'm looking back through the steps you took, and I'm wondering if there might still be some incorrectly configured remnants. That dpkg command of yours appears to pick only packages with both the desired state and current status as "installed." Let's take a broader look at all the kernel-related packages that might be installed in your system:
          Code:
          dpkg -l | egrep 'linux-(image|headers)'

Comment

mmm... this Acer 7730 has an Intel HD 3000 GPU and the i915 driver is used. My video FPS is synced at 60, the 60Hz refresh rate. It's set for xrender with the "crisp" scale method.

Kernel: 3.2.0-23-generic #36-Ubuntu SMP Tue Apr 10 20:39:51 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
            I have the touchpad turned off.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
              For headers, all is required on all machines, along with the appropriate amd64 or i386, depending on your architecture.
              I should have been more specific - I'm using 64bit, but I saw three header files rather than the expected two (i386 and amd64). I was wondering, since we're multi-arch now if the all (the third header file) was needed. I suspected it was, so I installed it anyway.

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
              But, oshun, it appears this set of headers makes your nVidia drivers barf. Sigh.
              I wonder if I attempt to use the QQ drivers if it would work - maybe, but I'm a bit busy to take the time. School's ending here and we're making our summer plans and all...

...so I can wait. A BIT!

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                but I'm a bit busy to take the time. School's ending here and we're making our summer plans and all...
                Summer plans that don't include daily doses of Kubuntu and KFN? Oh, the nerve!

Comment

Yeah, darn families...

Please Read Me

Comment

I can't read your German very well, sorry. But it appears that you did download the *image-extra* package, and when dpkg is trying to configure it, dpkg throws an error complaining that the *image* package isn't installed?

Yep, that is the jist of it. I understood that error when I had the 32bit version. But this is the 64bit version of the image. Is there a "install" cache or DB I can delete?

Edit: I tried installing with gdebi and got this mesage installing image:
                    dpkg: Fehler beim Bearbeiten von /home/fintan/Downloads/Kernel3.0/Kernel3.4/Kernel3.4.1/linux-image-3.4.1-030401-generic_3.4.1-030401.201206041411_amd64.deb (--install):
                    linux-image-3.4.1-030401-generic: 3.4.1-030401.201206041411 (Multi-Arch: no) is not co-installable with linux-image-3.4.1-030401-generic:i386 3.4.1-030401.201206041411 (Multi-Arch: no) which is currently installed
                    Fehler traten auf beim Bearbeiten von:
                    /home/fintan/Downloads/Kernel3.0/Kernel3.4/Kernel3.4.1/linux-image-3.4.1-030401-generic_3.4.1-030401.201206041411_amd64.deb
                    Found the culprit! Strange that that was not removed after:
                    Code:
                    dpkg -l 'linux-*' | sed '/^ii/!d;/'"$(uname -r | sed "s/\(.*\)-\([^0-9]\+\)/\1/")"'/d;s/^[^ ]* [^ ]* \([^ ]*\).*/\1/;/[0-9]/!d' | xargs sudo apt-get -y purge
                    Anyway, did:
                    Code:
                    sudo apt-get purge linux-image-3.4.1-030401-generic:i386
                    then the install wnet well.
                    Rebooting now and see what happens
                    Last edited by Fintan; Jun 07, 2012, 12:41 AM.
                    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                    4 GB Ram
                    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

My first guess is that there's a partially-configured package lurking, which the command I mentioned earlier will reveal.

Comment

Rebooted with success. Thanks guys. I'll run this for a few and see how it behaves.
                        Cheers
                        4 GB Ram
                        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Woo hoo!

I've been supplying some detail to that Launchpad bug, including my two-day success with 3.4.1. But at least one other person is still having a problem: their computer froze after nine hours. This is turning out to be a real mystery.

Comment

Woo hoo!
                            Right

I will post my experiences back to here. Hopefully they will be good ones.
                            4 GB Ram
                            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

This has drove me insane as well. My Dell laptop that I was just ranting about as far as the ATI driver support, hard freezes with any kernel after 2.6.39. It has an i5 sandy bridge with ATI HD4570. It doesn't have integrated Intel graphics. I am testing openSUSE 12.2 with 3.4 kernel right now and have no freezes. I might try 12.04 again with 3.4. At least I will have the possibility of ATI drivers for 5 more years if the kernel works on Kubuntu without freezing. Maybe by then the radeon driver will be better. I did manage to get part of a syslog dump with 12.04 before I got pissed and went back to 11.04. It always mentions cpu soft lockups just before the freeze. I still can't understand how this slipped through kernel testing since it seems to be so wide spread.
                              Klaatu Barada Nikto

Comment

Another hard freeze today, this time on kernel 3.2.0-26.41. I had just dialed into a conference bridge using my VoIP phone and USB headset. I was listening to the other people speak. I moved my mouse (on a USB cable) and BOOM! after just 1/3" motion. Perhaps my problem is something yet different than both of these exceedingly long bug reports -- for it happens no matter what kernel I use, and it appears triggered by USB devices. I get nothing in syslog. Grr.

Comment

Working...
                                X