This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sumski View Post
    I gave it a quick look. Why is bug assigned to xserver-xorg-intel? I ran through few comments, and as far i see, there are users of all graphic cards, with both open and closed drivers?
    Unfortunately, the bug has become a trove of mangled information. It's been bounced around to multiple packages, and for a time even had a goofy title that implied the freezing happened only when watching videos.

I personally haven't experienced any kind of crash (using 3.2 kernel + fglrx), and i also installed Kubuntu Precise on my girlfriends laptop (Dell N5110 - integrated Intel), and there are no crashed for her either (although, i did installed Intel driver from x-updates ppa, but no crashes prior to that).
    My X1, which I actually put through more challenges than my T520, has had zero freezes. But the T520 -- not so lucky. Part of the difficulty in diagnosing the problem is likely because no one has been able to identify a root cause yet.

Regarding mainline ppa, don't know if i understood correctly, but it is built on latest LTS release, so there shouldn't be issues running the builds on Precise? Or am i missing something?
    My suspicion is that kernels labeled "-quantal" are compiled with that release's toolchain.

Comment

It seems it is built on latest LTS, but for latest development release
      sigpic

Comment

Nice find. Thanks for that.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
          so far so good .........

thanks SteveRiley 8)
          My pleasure. Glad it's working for you now.

Comment

Hmmm...this kernel does not like my laptop at all.
            This is what I did:
            - sudo dpkg -i linux*3.4.0*.deb to remove that kernel. Wanted to do that anyway.
            That went well so:
            - Downloaded all four kernel .debs for 64 bit then:
            Code:
            cd /home/fintan/Downloads/Kernel3.0/Kernel3.4/Kernel3.4.1
            Code:
            sudo dpkg -i linux*3.4.1*.deb
            This went well so:
            Code:
            sudo update-grub
            Rebooted and booted 3.4.1 kernel. Boot hangs at the grub splash.
            Shut down-> booted 3.4.1 recovery mode. Boot hangs at:
            Switching to clocksource tsc

Edit: Just out of curiousity I opened up synaptic at that threw me a dependancy error message so I checked and found that:
            Linux kernel image for version 3.4.1 on 64 bit x86 SMP was missing something. Under properties->dependancies:
            depends: linix-image-3.4.1-030401-generic.
            These are the kernel files I downloaded:
            linux-headers-3.4.1-030401-generic_3.4.1-030401.201206041411_amd64.deb

linux-headers-3.4.1-030401_3.4.1-030401.201206041411_all.deb

linux-image-3.4.1-030401-generic_3.4.1-030401.201206041411_i386.deb

linux-image-extra-3.4.1-030401-generic_3.4.1-030401.201206041411_amd64.deb
            Last edited by Fintan; Jun 06, 2012, 02:53 AM.
            HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

A number of curiosities about your post jump out.

Originally posted by Fintan View Post
              sudo dpkg -i linux*3.4.0*.deb to remove that kernel.
              The -i switch is for installing packages contained within .deb files. To get rid of the packages, you need to use the -r switch to remove them or the -P switch to purge them, and in either case you need to specify the package name, not the .deb filename. So your statement here is a bit confusing.

sudo dpkg -i linux*3.4.1*.deb
              That looks fine.

sudo update-grub
              This should be an unnecessary step, as the .debs contain post-install scripts to update GRUB and your initrd automatically.

Rebooted and booted 3.4.1 kernel. Boot hangs at the grub splash.
              Shut down-> booted 3.4.1 recovery mode. Boot hangs at:
              Very weird. Would you mind editing /etc/default/grub and removing the # in front of the line that begins with GRUB_TERMINAL, running sudo update-grub, and then reporting back with some details about how far along the boot process your computer gets before it hangs?

Comment

The -i switch is for installing packages contained within .deb files. To get rid of the packages, you need to use the -r switch to remove them or the -P switch to purge them, and in either case you need to specify the package name, not the .deb filename. So your statement here is a bit confusing.
                Sorry that was a typo. I did:
                Code:
                sudo dpkg -P linux*3.4.0*
                Very weird. Would you mind editing /etc/default/grub and removing the # in front of the line that begins with GRUB_TERMINAL, running sudo update-grub, and then reporting back with some details about how far along the boot process your computer gets before it hangs?
                I'll have a look at that now.

Edit: Hmm. I had to remove the 3.4.1 kernel so I could update my firefos to version 13.
                When reinstalling the kernel I get this:
                ......Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
                run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools 3.4.1-030401-generic /boot/vmlinuz-3.4.1-030401-generic
                update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.4.1-030401-generic
                W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/radeon/ARUBA_rlc.bin for module radeon
                W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/radeon/ARUBA_me.bin for module radeon
                W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/radeon/ARUBA_pfp.bin for module radeon
                W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/radeon/VERDE_rlc.bin for module radeon
                W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/radeon/VERDE_mc.bin for module radeon
                W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/radeon/VERDE_ce.bin for module radeon
                W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/radeon/VERDE_me.bin for module radeon
                W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/radeon/VERDE_pfp.bin for module radeon
                W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/radeon/PITCAIRN_rlc.bin for module radeon
                W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/radeon/PITCAIRN_mc.bin for module radeon
                W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/radeon/PITCAIRN_ce.bin for module radeon
                W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/radeon/PITCAIRN_me.bin for module radeon
                W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/radeon/PITCAIRN_pfp.bin for module radeon
                W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/radeon/TAHITI_rlc.bin for module radeon
                W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/radeon/TAHITI_mc.bin for module radeon
                W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/radeon/TAHITI_ce.bin for module radeon
                W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/radeon/TAHITI_me.bin for module radeon
                W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/radeon/TAHITI_pfp.bin for module radeon
                run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/pm-utils 3.4.1-030401-generic /boot/vmlinuz-3.4.1-030401-generic
                run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/update-notifier 3.4.1-030401-generic /boot/vmlinuz-3.4.1-030401-generic
                run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-update-grub 3.4.1-030401-generic /boot/vmlinuz-3.4.1-030401-generic
                Generating grub.cfg ...
                Found background: /home/fintan/Downloads/KDE/Backgrounds/LogoBackgroundFGC_Grub.png
                using custom appearance settings
                Found background image: /home/fintan/Downloads/KDE/Backgrounds/LogoBackgroundFGC_Grub.png
                Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.4.1-030401-generic
                Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.4.1-030401-generic
                Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-25-generic
                Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-25-generic
                Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-24-generic
                Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-24-generic
                Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
                Found Windows 7 (loader) on /dev/sda1
                Found Windows 7 (loader) on /dev/sda2
                done
                dpkg: Abhängigkeitsprobleme verhindern Konfiguration von linux-image-extra-3.4.1-030401-generic:
                linux-image-extra-3.4.1-030401-generic hängt ab von linux-image-3.4.1-030401-generic; aber:
                Paket linux-image-3.4.1-030401-generic ist nicht installiert.
                dpkg: Fehler beim Bearbeiten von linux-image-extra-3.4.1-030401-generic (--install):
                Abhängigkeitsprobleme - verbleibt unkonfiguriert
                Fehler traten auf beim Bearbeiten von:
                linux-image-extra-3.4.1-030401-generic
                fintan@fintanws2:~/Downloads/Kernel3.0/Kernel3.4/Kernel3.4.1$

I didn't see that before, must have been too excited
                Last edited by Fintan; Jun 06, 2012, 03:12 AM.
                4 GB Ram
                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

linux-headers-3.4.1-030401_3.4.1-030401.201206041411_all.deb

linux-image-3.4.1-030401-generic_3.4.1-030401.201206041411_i386.deb

linux-image-extra-3.4.1-030401-generic_3.4.1-030401.201206041411_amd64.deb
                  There's your problem, you've downloaded 32bit kernel
                  sigpic

Comment

Right I am going blind. wow. anyway did:
                    Code:
                    sudo dpkg -P linux*3.4.1*
                    then
                    Code:
                    sudo rm -rfv /lib/modules/3.4.1*
                    Got the right .deb:
                    linux-image-3.4.1-030401-generic_3.4.1-030401.201206041411_amd64.deb
                    Code:
                    then did:
                    ~/Downloads/Kernel3.0/Kernel3.4/Kernel3.4.1$ sudo dpkg -i linux*3.4.1*.deb
                    and get this:
                    .....dpkg: Abhängigkeitsprobleme verhindern Konfiguration von linux-image-extra-3.4.1-030401-generic:
                    linux-image-extra-3.4.1-030401-generic hängt ab von linux-image-3.4.1-030401-generic; aber:
                    dpkg: Fehler beim Bearbeiten von linux-image-extra-3.4.1-030401-generic (--install):
                    Lost now.
                    4 GB Ram
                    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Sigh. It's almost 3:00 AM here, I'm enjoying the buzz of stiff gin tonic, and the alprazolam has crossed my blood-brain barrier. I will examine your post in greater detail tomorrow, after my morning conference call. For now, it's time for me to power down the X1 and drift into slumberrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Comment

Cheers to that. I love a good G&T
                        4 GB Ram
                        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Anyone tried this with the nvidia drivers installed yet? Looks like I may be the first...

...swell foop?

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                            ...swell foop?
                            A bomentary mount of ceading lonsonant inversion.

Comment

Hi Steve, how was the 9/10G&1/10T? I am about to go in the same direction.

Just did:
                              Code:
                              dpkg -l 'linux-*' | sed '/^ii/!d;/'"$(uname -r | sed "s/\(.*\)-\([^0-9]\+\)/\1/")"'/d;s/^[^ ]* [^ ]* \([^ ]*\).*/\1/;/[0-9]/!d' | xargs sudo apt-get -y purge
                              Didn't help installing the 3.4.1 kernel.

Still same message:
                              dpkg: Abhängigkeitsprobleme verhindern Konfiguration von linux-image-extra-3.4.1-030401-generic:
                              Where is that stuff hidden, why the dependancy issues?
                              4 GB Ram
                              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I assume you also downloaded the image-extra .deb too?

I can't read your German very well, sorry. But it appears that you did download the image-extra package, and when dpkg is trying to configure it, dpkg throws an error complaining that the image package isn't installed?

Comment

Working...
                                X