Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slight boot problem. 'You need to boot the kernel first.' After that it went to the boot menu. I selected advanced options and the top kernel. Kubuntu booted properly after that.
    Snippit from grub.cfg
    Code:
    menuentry 'Ubuntu' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-simple-27a9a212-d177-4665-b6bc-bf304e8c1f3e' {
    	recordfail
    	load_video
    	gfxmode $linux_gfx_mode
    	insmod gzio
    	if [ x$grub_platform = xxen ]; then insmod xzio; insmod lzopio; fi
    	insmod part_msdos
    	insmod btrfs
    	set root='hd0,msdos5'
    	if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
    	  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,msdos5 --hint-efi=hd0,msdos5 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,msdos5  27a9a212-d177-4665-b6bc-bf304e8c1f3e
    	else
    	  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 27a9a212-d177-4665-b6bc-bf304e8c1f3e
    	fi
           linux	/@Kubuntu1704/boot/vmlinuz-4.10.0-35-generic root=UUID=27a9a212-d177-4665-b6bc-bf304e8c1f3e ro rootflags=subvol=@Kubuntu1704  quiet splash $vt_handoff
    	initrd	/@Kubuntu1704/boot/initrd.img-4.10.0-35-generic
    }
    It doesn't seem to be loading the new volumes. Why not?
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Comment

I'm not clear on what you mean by "It doesn't seem to be loading the new volumes. Why not?" because you don't say why you believe that to be the case. Assuming the above is from your grub.cfg, it looks normal to me.

What's the output of "mount" once you've booted?
      Did you edit @Kubuntu1704/etc/fstab to show the new subvolume names?

If you managed to get it to boot and you've edited the correct fstab and the mounts are correct - then run "sudo update-grub" and it will "fix" grub.cfg for you and you should be good to go.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
        I'm not clear on what you mean by "It doesn't seem to be loading the new volumes. Why not?" because you don't say why you believe that to be the case. Assuming the above is from your grub.cfg, it looks normal to me.

What's the output of "mount" once you've booted?
        Did you edit @Kubuntu1704/etc/fstab to show the new subvolume names?

If you managed to get it to boot and you've edited the correct fstab and the mounts are correct - then run "sudo update-grub" and it will "fix" grub.cfg for you and you should be good to go.
        Code:
        steve7233@steve7233-HP-dv6-US:~$ mount
        sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
        proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
        udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=1964336k,nr_inodes=491084,mode=755)
        devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
        tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,size=397444k,mode=755)
        /dev/sda5 on / type btrfs (rw,relatime,space_cache,subvolid=257,subvol=/@)
        securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
        tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
        tmpfs on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=5120k)
        tmpfs on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=755)
        cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,xattr,release_agent=/lib/systemd/systemd-cgroups-agent,name=systemd)
        pstore on /sys/fs/pstore type pstore (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
        cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/devices type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices)
        cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/perf_event type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,perf_event)
        cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpu,cpuacct)
        cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio)
        cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer)
        cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/memory type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,memory)
        cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/hugetlb type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,hugetlb)
        cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/pids type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,pids)
        cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls,net_prio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_cls,net_prio)
        cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuset)
        systemd-1 on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type autofs (rw,relatime,fd=30,pgrp=1,timeout=0,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct,pipe_ino=13020)
        mqueue on /dev/mqueue type mqueue (rw,relatime)
        debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,relatime)
        hugetlbfs on /dev/hugepages type hugetlbfs (rw,relatime)
        fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,relatime)
        /dev/sda5 on /home type btrfs (rw,relatime,space_cache,subvolid=258,subvol=/@home)
        tmpfs on /run/user/119 type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=397440k,mode=700,uid=119,gid=127)
        tmpfs on /run/user/1000 type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=397440k,mode=700,uid=1000,gid=1000)
        Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

Comment

Yes I edited fstab. They changes appear not have taken effect. I specifically selected save from the file menu. Is there a bug in Kate or something? When I edited grub I clicked on the close button in the title bar and selected save. Maybe the menu is bugged, but closing via the title bar button and selecting save works.

Comment

from your "mount" output it dose not appear that you did rename the subvolumes ,,,,if you had their would be no @ to mount .

your grub config looks good for the FIRST boot ,,,,,,but since you booted from the "advanced options " at the boot screen you were in a different part of the grub menu than that that you edited.

the grub should be good,,,,,you got the "You need to boot the kernel first." because you did not rename the subvolumes and grub was looking for the renamed names (@Kubuntu1704) and could not find it .

make sure the /etc/fstab is edited as well ,,,,,,,I do not thik it is @now ,,,,,,,or you would not have been able to boot on the advanced options either as the system would be trying to mount @Kubuntu1704 ,,,and their is none .

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

@Vinney apparently you missed the part where I said that kate failed to save the changes even thought kate said it was saving them.

Comment

Originally posted by steve7233 View Post
                @Vinney apparently you missed the part where I said that kate failed to save the changes even thought kate said it was saving them.
                no I did not miss it ,,,,I was just telling how I new from your info what was what .

did you do the edits from a live system (the installation media) or the running system ?

VINNY
                16GB RAM

Comment

Ahh, I Forgot the last part in the name. I'll fix that and reboot. I was watchingSeason 3 of Dark Matter on Netflix on the big monitor and must have got side tracked by the action.
                  I can see the head lines now: "Dark Matter causes Kubuntu 17.04 boot error!"

Comment

grub.cfg had a couple of typos that everyone kept overlooking. Uppercase K when lower was used in the sub volume name.

Comment

Finally!!!

Code:
                      steve7233@steve7233-HP-dv6-US:~$ mount |grep btrfs
                      /dev/sda5 on / type btrfs (rw,relatime,space_cache,subvolid=277,subvol=/@kubuntu1704)
                      /dev/sda5 on /home type btrfs (rw,relatime,space_cache,subvolid=278,subvol=/@kubuntu1704_home)
                      steve7233@steve7233-HP-dv6-US:~$
                      I updated grub and rebooted. All is well! By the way I noticed a reboot bug during the last reboot. It seemed to hang about the end of the process. I had to power reset then startx a few times then it corrected itself -No Kwin -. I rebooted again then everything worked. I waited until I was sure it booted properly then run grub-update and rebooted. Now for a break.

Comment

grub.cfg had a couple of typos that everyone kept overlooking. Uppercase K when lower was used in the sub volume name.
                        I do not recall ever seeing your subvolume names been shown to us/everyone in any konsole output .

glad you got it sorted however ,,,welcome to the wonderful world of btrfs

and all the headaches yet to come ,,,,,,,,

hears one for you now ,,,,,a headache that is .

for your next install ,,,,do it without grub .

you can use something like this placed in the current install that controls grub now , in /etc/grub.d/40_custom to boot it.

Code:
                        menuentry 'Neon-lts' {
                        insmod btrfs
                        set root='(hd0,msdos1)'
                        linux /@/vmlinuz root=UUID=ff5d66d4-35b6-4c9c-a64e-8dfbe2aa1e31 rootflags=subvol=@ ro quiet splash
                        initrd /@/initrd.img
                        }
                        of course the (hd0,msdos1) would need to be changed if you are using a GPT partition table , and the UUID would need to be the UUID of your btrfs partition but their is the concept for booting an install without it's own grub install .

aspirin anyone

VINNY
                        16GB RAM

Comment

Congrats steve72233 !!!
                          Welcome to the Btrfs club!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                            I do not recall ever seeing your subvolume names been shown to us/everyone in any konsole output .

glad you got it sorted however ,,,welcome to the wonderful world of btrfs

and all the headaches yet to come ,,,,,,,,

hears one for you now ,,,,,a headache that is .

for your next install ,,,,do it without grub .

you can use something like this placed in the current install that controls grub now , in /etc/grub.d/40_custom to boot it.

Code:
                            menuentry 'Neon-lts' {
                            insmod btrfs
                            set root='(hd0,msdos1)'
                            linux /@/vmlinuz root=UUID=ff5d66d4-35b6-4c9c-a64e-8dfbe2aa1e31 rootflags=subvol=@ ro quiet splash
                            initrd /@/initrd.img
                            }
                            of course the (hd0,msdos1) would need to be changed if you are using a GPT partition table , and the UUID would need to be the UUID of your btrfs partition but their is the concept for booting an install without it's own grub install .

aspirin anyone

VINNY
                            Couldn't I just install the other distro without grub then boot into Kubuntu17.04 then run grub-update?

Comment

Couldn't I just install the other distro without grub then boot into Kubuntu17.04 then run grub-update?
                              Go back and read the original article: grub, or more correctly, os-prober, will not find other installs because it can't read inside unmounted subvolumes. That was basically the reason for this entire thread.

Short version: Install a new distro, then edit the 40_custom file as I explained. Then, after updating grub, you will be able to select either install from grub.

You can test/practice this using your current setup. Edit your 40_custom file in your current install and add your original subvolume "@" . Something like this:

Code:
                              menuentry 'Original 17.04 install' { 
                                 insmod part_gpt 
                                 insmod btrfs 
                                 search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root [COLOR=#333333]27a9a212-d177-4665-b6bc-bf304e8c1f3e[/COLOR] 
                                 configfile /@/boot/grub/grub.cfg 
                              }

Please Read Me

Comment

Where is this 40_custom file as I can not find it?

Comment

Working...
                                X